Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
Plane

Default Afflicting random advantages?

I've seen in a couple games "I can brew a mad science chemical that gives a random major super power" or "I can impart a random minor super power" or something along those lines.

Something like "I can give any super power" I'm guessing you'd do with either Modular Abilities (re-arrange Affliction:Advantage) or by taking Variable Enhancements on Affliction.

But that would normally let you specify what advantage you gave, so how would it work if you had no control over which one happened and were basically rolling random dice (or letting GM decide) to determine what happened?

Closest I could guess would be taking Uncontrollabe + Unconscious Only combo so that you couldn't consciously re-arrange modular abilities (or rearrange enhancements) and maybe just somehow rule-out the usual benefit of being able to stop it self-rearranging via a will roll?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Afflicting random advantages?

This is almost always really "Perk/Unusual Background: can permit other people to spend experience", plus allies if they turn out to be actually helpful.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
Prince Charon

I think I at one point estimated that randomizing Modular Abilities like that was probably a -40% limitation, but I might be remembering wrong. I think I based it on a comment by Kromm or PK, about -40% (or -20%?) being a good default for when you can't figure out the price for a limitation.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Giving a 'random' advantage is not usefully defined. You would need to specify the distribution of the possible outcomes.

Much the same holds for a GM-decided grant, really...
Old 04-06-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

When it comes to something being absolutely random, I usually approach it as such instead of things like Accessibility. In a situation with Affliction, I'd have it cost based on the cost of one power, or maybe the average if there is a discrepancy. But for instance, if your affliction grants any 50pt block of powers from a giant list, I'd just have that be +500%. I'm not even sure it'd be worth that much. I'd also use the same cost for an affliction that grants someone a 50pt power that is basically telling the GM that they are a superhero now and I want to give them whatever power they would get from becoming a superhero.

Mind, Origins Magnet in Supers can give you this power for negative points. Just define it as you being an impulsive mad scientist ;)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Mind, Origins Magnet in Supers can give you this power for negative points.
For those who are interested, this is on p32 of Supers, under Weirdness Magnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Just define it as you being an impulsive mad scientist ;)
Other ways to define it include having 'radioactive' powers that occasionally empower others (possibly as a Temporary Disadvantage limitation on one or more specific abilities), having a magical Ally or Patron (or Enemy!) that will often empower those around you for mysterious reasons, having power-granting chemicals in your blood or other bodily fluids, and perhaps a few others. You could build an entire superteam and/or campaign starting with someone like this. Might be fun. Do we have a New Supers Setting Seeds thread, or something similar?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 04-07-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
But that would normally let you specify what advantage you gave, so how would it work if you had no control over which one happened and were basically rolling random dice (or letting GM decide) to determine what happened?
Secret Advantage from the Potential Advantage box on B33 seems like it would fit.

If you then do something like:

Affliction (Advantage (Secret, 20 points) +200%) [30]

You would end up giving the target a Secret Advantage equivalent to 40 points when revealed. Modify with Extended Duration and other Enhancements & Limitations as appropriate.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Secret Advantage from the Potential Advantage box on B33 seems like it would fit.

If you then do something like:

Affliction (Advantage (Secret, 20 points) +200%) [30]

You would end up giving the target a Secret Advantage equivalent to 40 points when revealed. Modify with Extended Duration and other Enhancements & Limitations as appropriate.
By the book when a Secret Advantage is revealed and available for conscious use you're supposed to pay the other half of the cost.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
naloth

Afflict a patron that grants (Gm decided) powers. If you want to keep them you'll need to pay for them when the duration expires.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #10
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
For those who are interested, this is on p32 of Supers, under Weirdness Magnet.
Whoops, thank you, I thought I posted that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
By the book when a Secret Advantage is revealed and available for conscious use you're supposed to pay the other half of the cost.
True, but in this situation you could have it be 'merely' the amount spent into it.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage (enhancement), modular abilities, unconscious only, uncontrollable, variable enhancements