Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #21
Aldric

Default Re: Q about applying Ranged +40% to DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Innate Attack (Wall) starts out much closer to a force bubble/wall/whatever than DR, honestly, which is why I think it should be the base.

As for pricing, I looked at that a bit last night, so going largely off memory, a basic personal Force Dome would be Innate Attack 2d cr (Area Effect +50%; Persistent +40%; Wall, Rigid +30%; Emanation -20%) [20]. This gives a stationary, rigid, oblong (a bit tall) hemisphere around the character only, providing Cover DR 7 (DR 6 + 1 HP; note it collapses if penetrated); personally, I'd allow for Wall without Persistent, but the character is stuck making Ready/Concentrate Maneuvers every round while it lasts. If you want to replicate the "no collision damage" aspect of Force Dome, take No Wounding -50%, reducing the above cost to [15]. Scale DR up or down as needed by increasing or decreasing damage (maintaining 1d of DR per 1d of damage). To have a larger hemisphere, a further +100% ([+10] for the DR 7 version) worth of Area Effect doubles radius to 2 yards, +200% to 4 yards, +300% to 8 yards, and so forth, doubling every +100%. Note it's always oblong, so typically SM+0 characters can stand under it, even at the edges. I'll leave it to those with Sorcery: Protection and Warning Spells to compare this pricing to the weird DR-based build there.

Note the above is roughly [3] per point of DR, and every +10% worth of additional (or removed) modifiers is [+0.15] per point of DR. An 8-yard radius (+300%), one way (+20%) dome that moves with the character (Mobile +40%) lasts 10 seconds and grants DR 35 would cost [280] normally, or [294] using the above simplification. That's enough to get personal DR 56 or ~59, respectively, so while bubble-guy isn't as resilient as a tank with comparable point investment, he's not completely out of their league. Do note while this would let you have a moving personal bubble for only ~[3.9] per DR (by adding on Mobile and changing to One Way Wall), it only lasts for up to 10 seconds at a time before another Maneuver needs to be burned to renew it, and collapses if penetrated (requiring an early renewal). That doesn't sound outlandish for what works out to be a ~-42% Limitation (comparing this to DR (Forcefield +20%)).
Not quite sure this works, at least after only reading the wall from Basic.
I think you need the +60% version of wall to actually make a Dome, otherwise (and with Emanation on top) you've just encased yourself in stone.

Mobile lets you move the Area with Move 1 per level of Mobile, you either need a lot more levels, or you just have to move slowly so you don't bump into your walls.
How that combines with Emanation is however anyone's guess

One last thing. Rigid Walls don't deal damage, so No Wounding would not work on them.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #22
Varyon

Default Re: Q about applying Ranged +40% to DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Not quite sure this works, at least after only reading the wall from Basic.
I think you need the +60% version of wall to actually make a Dome, otherwise (and with Emanation on top) you've just encased yourself in stone.
+60% allows you to dictate the shape when you use it, while +30% only has a single shape. The default for the latter is a straight wall, but I see no issues with changing this shape - there are advantages and disadvantages to each shape - but it needs to be set when you initially purchase the Enhancement, if it's the +30% level (again, +60% you can have a different shape each time you use it - sphere, hemisphere, wall, bridge, a giant hand flipping the bird, whatever).

Quote:
Mobile lets you move the Area with Move 1 per level of Mobile, you either need a lot more levels, or you just have to move slowly so you don't bump into your walls.
My mistake - as noted, I was largely going off memory from a quick lookup the day before. Really, I don't think a force dome should typically be moveable, so I'd be fine leaving it out.

Quote:
How that combines with Emanation is however anyone's guess
Now that I look more closely, you'd arguably need Homing for it to stay centered on you anyway. An Area Effect Emanation is one that originates around the user, but a Persistent one would simply stay put when the user moved (indeed, you could create a firestorm around yourself, then leave the area and the firestorm would continue until its duration expired); one with Mobile would do the same, but the user could use Concentrate to have it move (my Mobile 1 build would mean the character could use Concentrate and have the wall follow him as he used Step).

Quote:
One last thing. Rigid Walls don't deal damage, so No Wounding would not work on them.
Rigid walls deal damage to those who collide with them. A rigid wall with No Wounding, however, does not - an example can be found with Wall of Force (P147). There has been some past discussion about this being a cheap way to avoid falling damage (summon such a wall beneath you), but given you need a wall with sufficient DR+HP to survive catching you, I think it works out balanced (at least for a Crushing wall; one based on Pi- might be a bit too cheap, but I wouldn't allow such a wall in a game in the first place). I could see cause to treat No Wounding as +0% in this case, however - you lose the ability to use it to cause high damage* to an enemy speedster, but gain the ability to stop fast-moving objects without damaging them, which is arguably a wash.

Certainly, those who prefer the oddity of turning DR into a force dome can use that type of build, but I personally think Innate Attack (Wall) is a much more appropriate way to do it.

*But you pay a good deal for that, given at most the wall can deal DR+HP in damage before breaking; this works out to 7 per 2d, or basically a maximum of what the Innate Attack would deal on average.

Tags
damage resistance, force dome, ranged