Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #21
Fnugus

Default Re: Ghost - Problems with Insubstantiality

What about just putting "Affects Substantial, +100%" on it? That would let the ghost interact with the physical world whenever she wants.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnugus View Post
What about just putting "Affects Substantial, +100%" on it? That would let the ghost interact with the physical world whenever she wants.
Not really. That only allows the ghost to use other abilities that also have Affects Substantial already on them in order to impact the physical world (though, yes, Affects Substantial is pretty much a necessary modifier for this build).

EDIT: Rather than TK, you could take Affects Substantial on your base ST, too. That'd probably work out better (and possibly cheaper, too). Then also take the 'modified ST-based damage' bit for Armor Divisor to represent reaching through someone and poking their brain.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Langy

Here's a full build for what I think you're after:

Insubstantial (Affects Substantial, +100%; Always On, -50%) [120]
ST Affects Substantial [40]
ST Damage Ignores DR [6]

This is for a ST10 character. Further ST will cost about 16.25 points per level (round normally, so if the decimal is 0.25 you round down, while if it's 0.5 or 0.75 you round up). This is accurate up to ST18; after that, it's a little off, but not hugely.

(another way to price it might be 15.875 points per level of ST, since 8 levels of ST gives +1d to damage; honestly, I'd probably just say 'round it all' and use 16 points per additional level of ST flat)
Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #24
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Here's a full build for what I think you're after:

ST Affects Substantial [40]
ST Damage Ignores DR [6]

This is for a ST10 character. Further ST will cost about 16.25 points per level (round normally, so if the decimal is 0.25 you round down, while if it's 0.5 or 0.75 you round up). This is accurate up to ST18; after that, it's a little off, but not hugely.

(another way to price it might be 15.875 points per level of ST, since 8 levels of ST gives +1d to damage; honestly, I'd probably just say 'round it all' and use 16 points per additional level of ST flat)
Can you give me the source for this method? It contradicts the method from powers I've already posted.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #25
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Can you give me the source for this method? It contradicts the method from powers I've already posted.
Er, no it doesn't. It is the method from powers you just posted.

EDIT: To be clear, I just pre-calculated the cost of the innate attack and shoved it into the cost of ST. It follows a simple progression - +1d per eight levels, or +1 to damage per 2 levels. +1 damage in a crushing attack is 0.3 times 5 points or 1.5 points; thus, +1 ST is 0.75 points; factor in the +300% modifier and it's 3*0.75 points.

Also, the Affects Substantial bit isn't just for the ST-based damage. It's also to carry things and stuff.

Last edited by Langy; 05-12-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Er, no it doesn't. It is the method from powers you just posted.
No it isn't, you've applied "Affects Substantial" +40% to an assumed cost of 100 points for ST that gives 40 points. If we break that down in to its components you will see the difference:

Striking ST 10 [50]
"Affects Substantial" +40%/ +20 points
But the system from powers gives +0.8 points for being able to do use your ST to do damage to Substantial things, you've added 19.2 points! Why?

Lifting ST 10 [30] (For carrying things)
"Affects Substantial" +40%/ +12 points
Ok I guess.

HP 10 [20]
"Affects Substantial" +40%/ +8 points
Why? How do your HP affect substantial things?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
No it isn't, you've applied "Affects Substantial" +40% to an assumed cost of 100 points for ST that gives 40 points. If we break that down in to its components you will see the difference:
That's a good point; I didn't think of it in terms of components. I'm not entirely certain that that way is correct, though. Honestly, I think the full +40% on regular ST to make it affect substantial is more balanced than the utterly cheap method that comes about by breaking it down to components.

Still, if we were to break it all down, it'd come out to:

ST Affects Substantial [13]
ST Damage Ignores DR [6]

With a cost of 12.55 points per extra level of ST.

(again, I'd round this to 12.5 points per extra level of ST, or 25 points per 2 extra levels of ST)

I might also add in a Perk of some kind to balance it out at 140 points total for the desired effect.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #28
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
That's a good point; I didn't think of it in terms of components. I'm not entirely certain that that way is correct, though. Honestly, I think the full +40% on regular ST to make it affect substantial is more balanced than the utterly cheap method that comes about by breaking it down to components.
You could compare the price change for Super-effort in Powers when it just went on the Lifting ST, to what Super-effort in Supers costs when it's applied straight to ST but doesn't effect HP.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
Bruno

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I wrote a short article on the modifiers on Insubstantial and how they interact with each other.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Dusqune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I wrote a short article on the modifiers on Insubstantial and how they interact with each other.
It is helpful, but doesn't answer all of my questions. I'm frustrated still at how you interpret Can Carry to have it's literal titular meaning, yet I feel the cost comes from the ability to make something else insubstantial--which is something I do not want.

Quote:
ST Affects Substantial [13]
ST Damage Ignores DR [6]

With a cost of 12.55 points per extra level of ST.

(again, I'd round this to 12.5 points per extra level of ST, or 25 points per 2 extra levels of ST)

I might also add in a Perk of some kind to balance it out at 140 points total for the desired effect.
according to the linked article from Bruno, we would also need a +50% cosmic on Insubstantiality, bringing it up 40pts. I'm still confused, however, with whether or not Can Carry and Partial are necessary--because both are so connected to the idea of turning an object substantial/insubstantial, but also carry other basic functions as well, such as... picking up objects or poking someone.

--
I suppose what I'm looking for is this:
Untouchable Deadly Assassin Meta-Enhancement (+350%) minus the ability to switch yourself (Always On -50%) minus the ability to switch other objects (??? -??%)
(plus ST ignores DR as above)

It's that ability to turn objects substantial/insubstantial. If you were going to price that, by itself, how much would it be?

BTW: At first, I thought it might be -80% because the difference between Partial 20% and Partial 100% is that you can turn a held, insubstantial object substantial, but the cost here is not specifically from that--it's from being able to hold a substantial object... which the character can do, so now I'm still confused.
Dreamer [-1]
Secret: {REDACTED} [-30]
Delusion: Has a Quirk-Level Delusion [-1]
Dusqune is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insubstantiality