Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Anders

Default Warp Limitation: Minimum Distance

How much of a limitation would it be to restrict Warp to a minimum distance? Off the top of my head I would go with 5% times penalty, but does anyone else have any other ideas?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: Warp Limitation: Minimum Distance

Doesn't hyper jump include a huge minimum distance?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Anders

Yep. But it also has a lot of other effects including "not in an atmosphere".
Old 06-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Yeah, Hyperwarp isn't a good thing to base traits off of. It does too many things at once.

My instinct is actually to charge half the price of 'minimum distance' -- which would be 5% per -2 penalty, not per -1. Of course then the question becomes is traveling great distances really the point of warp? from a tactical standpoint a lot of warp's utility is bypassing obstacles on a short scale.

As a GM winging it, I'd likely allow the 5% per -1 only if there were additional limitations that prevent effectively warping within minimum range by means of a double warp. Actually, I'd probably require that regardless.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
... Of course then the question becomes is traveling great distances really the point of warp? from a tactical standpoint a lot of warp's utility is bypassing obstacles on a short scale. ...
On the other hand, having a minimum warp distance means the "combat teleport dodge" (whatever its RAW name is) is not available to you. I'd say that's worth -5% on its own...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
As a GM winging it, I'd likely allow the 5% per -1 only if there were additional limitations that prevent effectively warping within minimum range by means of a double warp. Actually, I'd probably require that regardless.
Eh, I don't think the possibility of a double Warp is really all that problematic. The character either needs to do two Warps in a single second (which causes some serious penalties) or needs to wait (to Concentrate and build up bonuses), Warp to the first location, wait again, then Warp back to near the first location, with both Warps taking at least the penalty given by the Limitation. If you've got Minimum Distance: 1 mile (-20%), then you have to make two Warps - one at -4 (1 mile), the other at -5 (more than 1 mile, less than 5 miles) - in order to travel 100 yards, which a character with unmodified Warp needs only a single Warp at -2 to pull off. I'd say you're still suffering for your Limitation in that case.

Otherwise, each time the character Warps there's a 1 mile radius around his initial location that he loses the ability to Warp to until some sort of cooldown timer resets, and that's probably going to be a bit hairy in play.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 AM   #7
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
On the other hand, having a minimum warp distance means the "combat teleport dodge" (whatever its RAW name is) is not available to you. I'd say that's worth -5% on its own...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I don't think the inability to buy an enhancement should be worth anything, particularly since buying off a limitation later could make it available again.
Isn't combat teleporting done at -10 without the enhancement? And is there a way to increase the distance of teledodging? It would be interesting if you could still teledodge with a minimum distance penalty, out that far.

I think -5% for each level on the table (so -5% you can't teleport within 10yds) might be fair, except a penalty to any advantage might already be -5% per, and this is sort of worse. I'd say -10% because you can't teleport as a dodge for the first level, and -5% after. -10% might be too much. Or if you really wanted, go like -7% or -7.5%.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitation, warp