Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #1
valerio.crini

Default More about anniversary

This year has an important recurrence for me.
As already discussed here it's my 30th year in rpg games world.

Since this is a wonderful community I wish to celebrate with you - trying not to bore.

It's all started in 1986.

I visited a friend of mine and he with 3 more boys - we were all 12 years old at the time - were lying on the ground with a mysterious red box and many odd-sized-dices rolling from their hands.

That hit me as instant love: the evening I asked to my father to by the blue box - that i read and memorized all during the night.
Today I still remember many of the creatures stats ...

In the years I tried other system - always fantasy oriented - Merp, Rolemaster with some session or short campaigns with Cthulhu or Cyberpunk genre. But D&D called and I was always ready to come back to it.

In 2011 I was still playing to D&D (in the 4th edition reincarnation) when in my local store I saw an offer with a bundle of Gurps (3th edition) four manuals for a really appealing 10 €.
I bought it and it was my second love - I switched from D&D 4th instantly- it wasn't too difficult :) - and I was fully absorbed in Yrth world soon upgraded to latest gurps edition.
I really like generality of the system and the depth of the rules (if you are a rule feticist as me you can understand).

A few months ago in a programming language (if it's sounds odd is normal) meeting I met Fate and switched again but not totally.
Today I'm running two Gurps campaigns: one played in a reinassance Florence with a Monster Hunter campaign and another modern in North Korea with Supers involved.
My fantasy campaign now is played with Fate rules that appears to me as a really smart way to play concentrate on the game and not the rules but also help me to continue playing gurps with different concepts not always rules oriented.

Thanks to Gurps and your community - that helped me to clearify rules and mechanics - I was able to create wonderful worlds (no more fantasy ... ) for me and my friends.

I want to say thanks to all of you and ask a question.
How do you suggest to celebrate my 30th anniversary?
valerio.crini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: More about anniversary

Sorry I missed this and belated Happy Anniversary.
How did you celebrate?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #3
valerio.crini

I did not, yet.

But I have a plan.
I retrieved list of TSR's best modules according to Dungeon Magazine.
My idea is taking from this pool adventures for current year playing season.
I think not only to play them from cover to cover but to take sub-elements, hints, encouters and so on to adapt for my current campaigns.

Ah, last but not least. To go on the classic, I'll offer a Japanese dinner to my players.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
Gollum

The Lost City ... A good adventure, with a lot of opportunities different from mere combat ...

Do you plan to run theses modules with GURPS rules?
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
valerio.crini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
The Lost City ... A good adventure, with a lot of opportunities different from mere combat ...
It's the adventure that my friend was playing when I came to visit him, 30 years ago.
It sound strange but I still never played it ...

Quote:
Do you plan to run theses modules with GURPS rules?
Yes and No.
I'm adapting Tomb of Horros to the "Florence Monster Hunter" GURPS and I3 Pharaoh to Fate Core Aperita Arcana.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
valerio.crini

Nooo,
in this precise instant I've discovered that Lost City is I3-5 modules compilation.
So destiny is making me playing the first module that made me got a crush with rpg universe.

Tags
anniversary, story