Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa

So How can I help to move this forward?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #22
the_matrix_walker

The notion for the character is a shapeshifter that became enamored with the "lesser races" and decided to walk among them. It became curious when it first encountered a colony of human-like fey monks, pursuing their "true art" of martial arts mastery. It came and went from this community over the years and was eventually drawn to (an) Earth in the 1970s (by a mishap with a mortal spell, or a Banestorm-like effect - Possible story hook if we want to explore it). This Earth is a "Monster Hunters"-type setting, where Vassaious fell in love with this more modern world. Vassarious was discovered by the US government who had a division dedicated to the study and utilization of the supernatural, and they convinced them to enter their service, seeing the possibilities of a shapeshifter in espionage and in battling the supernatural.

After years of service, Vassarious decided to return home and found that in the century of their absence, their tribe was decimated and those that survived scattered by a mortal nation that commanded great magics.

Vassarious was in search of a new homeland with the right kind of resources for their people, or a means of combatting the magics of their enemy when they encountered an agent of Corco's, who said they could help... in exchange for their service.

Enter the DRAGON!

Vassarious

ATTRIBUTES
ST 30 [0]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 15 [100]
HT 12 [20]

Will 14 [20]
Per 14 [20]

B.Spd 6
B.Move 6

ADVANTAGES
Combat Reflexes [15]
Danger Sense [15]
Enhanced Parry 2, Style! [10]
Inner Alchemy! (as Wildcard Perk, PY3/61 p.12) [5]

LANGUAGES
Languages:
Draconic - Native [0]
English - Native [6]
Mandarin - Accented [4]

DISADVANTAGES
Code of Honor (Xia) [-10]
Divine Curse: Monster Magnet [-15]
Sense of Duty, Companions [-5]
Vow (Help people in need who ask) [-10]
Weirdness Magnet [-15]
Xenophilia (9) [-15]

QUIRKS
Attentive. [-1]
Believes in being a good host. [-1]
Curious [-1]
Thinks he's a great driver. [-1]
Wanderlust [-1]

WILDCARDS!
Ultimate Combat Style! DX! [48] 14
Face Man! IQ! [12] 14
Hunter! IQ! [12] 14
Occult! IQ! [12] 14
Tradecraft! (Py3/107 pg.12) IQ! [12] 14

SKILLS
Climbing DX/A [1] 11
Criminology IQ/A [1] 14
Karate (Improved from Style!) DX/H [8] 16
Tactics IQ/H [1] 13

DRAGON SKILLS
Aerobatics DX/H [1] 10
Flight HT/A [2] 12
Innate Attack: Breath DX/E [1] 12

Shape-Shifting Techniques
Active Change, +20% (Base Default -2) SS-2 [0]
Improvised Forms, +100% (Base Default SS-10) -6 [5]
No Memorization, +50% (Base Default -5) SS-5 [0]
Unlimited, +50% (Base Default -5) SS-2 [4]

Color Skills
Art! IQ! [3] 12
Encyclopedist! IQ! [3] 12
Perform! IQ! [3] 12
Cooking IQ/A [1] 14

SUMMARY
Attributes [200]
Advantages + Languages [55]
Disadvantages/Quirks [-75]
Skills/Techniques [130]
Sub-Total [310]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Esoteric
Western Dragon Racial Template [444]
Spoiler:  

Masterful Training [55]
Spoiler:  

Character Sub-Total [310]
Esoteric Advantage [55]
Racial Template [454]

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-03-2021 at 09:27 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #23
the_matrix_walker

I'll follow up with some loadout stuff and details...
Old 05-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I've included a HT/H Shapeshifting skill, but I was wondering if I could use "Body Control" for that purpose instead.
Those two are pretty close, and body control does sound like something a shapeshifter would have as second nature. Its fine with me.
Quote:
The concept works equally well as a different kind of Intelligent magical creature. I was thinking of a Sphinx or Coatl as a dragon alternative if you think it's a bit easier on the point scale.
You're a shape shifter, so the base form is about story more than anything else. Also, the things that make a dragon expensive: ST, DR, flight, and innate attack, are exactly the sort of thing I'm discounting in this setting. I would like to know if you're trying to be an eastern dragon or a western one ... either would work in this context.

Quote:
The notion for the character is a shapeshifter that became enamored with the "lesser races" and decided to walk among them. It became curious when it first encountered a colony of human-like fey monks, pursuing their "true art" of martial arts mastery. It came and went from this community over the years and was eventually drawn to (an) Earth in the 1970s (by a mishap with a mortal spell, or a Banestorm-like effect - Possible story hook if we want to explore it). This Earth is a "Monster Hunters"-type setting, where Vassaious fell in love with this more modern world. Vassarious was discovered by the US government who had a division dedicated to the study and utilization of the supernatural, and they convinced them to enter their service, seeing the possibilities of a shapeshifter in espionage and in battling the supernatural.

After years of service, Vassarious decided to return home and found that in the century of their absence, their tribe was decimated and those that survived scattered by a mortal nation that commanded great magics.
Ok, so he* has four periods of life:
  1. With his tribe of shape shifting creatures.
  2. learning kung-fu at a monastery. Is this in high mountains, or some other exotic locale?
  3. working for a US government agency in a Monster Hunters World. Could you give me a name for this division? Any thoughts on what monsters are most prominent? Vampires? Were-wolves? The Fey? Aliens? Witches? Demons? Extra-dimensional Horrors? What part of the US did Vassarious operate in the most?
  4. Earning a homeland by working for Corco. What sort of home do the shapeshifters need? I remember earlier you made a reference to ward. Do we want to keep that? Does that mean that his homeworld has lots and lots of elves?
*you use "they" in some places... does the shapeshifter have a preferred gender, or are they intentionally hemaphroditic?

Quote:
Unlimited, +50% (Base Default -5) SS-2 [4] 12
I'm eyeing this one. Rocks, couches, and swords are fine, and I can see transformations to look like cars, but I don't know that I'm happy with turning into a functional car, gun, or computer. Any thoughts?

Quote:
He has several Wildcards, but I think they are of sufficiently high level to not be a point crock
You've got a couple at 6. The 12's are absolutely fine. The 6's aren't sky high, and they feel good. They should be ok.

Quote:
totaling [55] You may recognize it, as it's the same as the one we used for my previous Style! user, except that I removed the 5 point cinematic advantage access, since I don't think you are restricting access to any appropriate advantages. If this doesn't work for you, we can just go with TBaM.
I think its fine. Could you explain what the haste penalties are normally applied to? Is it mostly heroic archer, or something else?

As far as powers go, he's a shapeshifting dragon with martial arts. I'll get you an updated powers package once you confirm if the dragon is an eastern or western dragon and if he's a dragon or something else.

The perks make me chuckle!

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #25
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I would like to know if you're trying to be an eastern dragon or a western one ... either would work in this context.
Let's go with a Western dragon.
Quote:
learning kung-fu at a monastery. Is this in high mountains, or some other exotic locale?
I was indeed thinking of a classical mountaintop monastery-type dealio...
Quote:
working for a US government agency in a Monster Hunters World. Could you give me a name for this division? Any thoughts on what monsters are most prominent? Vampires? Were-wolves? The Fey? Aliens? Witches? Demons? Extra-dimensional Horrors? What part of the US did Vassarious operate in the most?
I'll give the name of the organization a little thought... it should be somewhat descriptive, but vague to maintain the secret. They were with the group for some time, so they would have faced a variety of threats. Fey and demons were likely the most common, followed by lycanthropes.
Quote:
Earning a homeland by working for Corco. What sort of home do the shapeshifters need? I remember earlier you made a reference to ward. Do we want to keep that? Does that mean that his homeworld has lots and lots of elves?
I see their original home as being a fantasy setting, with a number of humanoid races, most prominently humans and elves.
Quote:
*you use "they" in some places... does the shapeshifter have a preferred gender, or are they intentionally hemaphroditic?
I was toying with the idea of them being hemaphroditic in nature, choosing a gender of choice when shapeshifting.
Quote:
I'm eyeing this one. Rocks, couches, and swords are fine, and I can see transformations to look like cars, but I don't know that I'm happy with turning into a functional car, gun, or computer. Any thoughts?
The unlimited was something I wanted for the ability to potentially become an elemental. Powers note that things like "body of" templates require it. I'm fine with any restrictions you want to put in place.

I was wondering about the possibility of a Morph enhancement or accompanying modular ability for clothing and gear that a target was wearing or carrying when they memorized them, but I'm not sure how practical it is with the number of goodies we're already allocating.

Quote:
I think its fine. Could you explain what the haste penalties are normally applied to? Is it mostly heroic archer, or something else?
There are a few cinematic skills that have a -10 to use instantly, with the penalty lowering with each doubling of concentration-time, they are: Breaking Blow, Flying Leap, Power Blow, and (optionally according to Martial Arts) Autohypnosis. Technically a small group, not a medium one, but I think we priced it as a medium one the first time around due to the potency of these skills.

Quote:
The perks make me chuckle!
Excelent!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 05-17-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Elementals... that's nice idea. Unlocks some nice goodies. And is fairly topical for a dragon. I suppose it all depends on how we see the morph working. Its weird because the character concept is a hybrid from both of our minds. Lets allow elementals, but not machines, and nothing less physical than an elemental body. Though the dragon can probably pull off a pretty good ghost imimitation even within those limitations. Also, the chi skills are tied to being flesh. Does that sound good?

We can fold in basic equipment and clothing into the morph. However, lets say no electricity, no machines more complex than a bow, and no magic items ... though V can fold magic items, guns, etc into their body as long as they will fit in the chosen form.

Halving of speed use penalties for the chi skills should be fine.

The choice of Mandarin for the "Monastary" language is interesting, though I suppose it is justifiable. I'd have expected Tibetan or something like that. I suppose he'll be speaking a very ancient and rustic version of Mandarin.

I think you've answered all of my questions. I'll get you a power package soon!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-17-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #27
the_matrix_walker

I'll give it another pass and send updates as needed.

Unlimited: Partial "Magic-not-Machine" sounds just fine.

Chi skills needing flesh might be best handled on a case-by-case basis... I presume I'll have access to Mental Strength at least.

They say in the Ultimate Combat write-up that it may include weapons, but then doesn't suggest any options for their inclusion. Should a take a few separately, or can I use "Weapon Adaptation" to integrate them into the "Style!" like I did with Dagger (which is RAW to Karate)? When I did Taijutsu, you included the related style weapons at -1, but they were more clearly referenced.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, I think is V's template:

Quote:
Dragon
ST +20 [140]
SM+3

Burning attack 3d (cone, 3 yards, 20 yard attack no half range, takes recharge 5 sec -10%)
Spit Fireball Burning attack 3d (area effect 4 yard radius, 50 yard range no half, 5 sec recharge, alternative attack)
Flame Jet 3d (jet, alternative attack)

DR 4 [20]
DR 6 (not on belly -10%) [27]
Nicatating membrane 2 [2]

Extra Legs (Four Legs)[5];
Flight (Winged, -25%) [30];
Enhanced move (air) (1/2) [10]
Enhanced move (ground) (1/2) [10]

Night Vision 9 [9];
Discriminatory smell [15]

Striker (Tail; Crushing)[5]
Teeth (Fangs) [2]
claws (talons) [8]

High Pain Threshold [10]
Immunity to Disease [10]
Temperature Tolerance 6 [6]
Horizontal [-10]
Bad Grip [-10]

Morph [100]

Ultimate Mastery
Cinematic Skill Access (Large Group): 5 points [5]
Common Penalty Reduction - All Parries (Medium Group): 10 points [10]
Common Penalty Reduction - All Rapid Strikes (Medium Group): [10 points [10]
Common Penalty Reduction - Chi Haste Penalties (Medium Group): 10 points [10]
Common Penalty Reduction - Quick shooting bows, Remove Penalty (x2) (Single Task) 2 points [2]
Common Penalty Reduction - Rapid Strike with Throwing Art (Single Task) 1 point [1]
Enhanced Benefit - Full Accuracy Bonus for Bow without Aim (Single Skill) 1 Point [1]
Enhanced Benefit - Full Accuracy Bonus for Throwing Art without Aim (Single Skill) 1 Point [1]
Enhanced Benefit - WM Damage Bonus to all Muscle Powered Weapons (Large Group): 15 Points [15]

Yes, TOTAL ST is 30, which is normal for SM 3 creatures. Morph can imitate a fairly boring creature at SM 4 and ST 50 though. I think you've seen all the rest of this before.

Quote:

Unlimited: Partial "Magic-not-Machine" sounds just fine.
cool, just remember no insubstantial as well.

Quote:
Chi skills needing flesh might be best handled on a case-by-case basis... I presume I'll have access to Mental Strength at least.
Yes, mental strength works fine in that context... I always forget that one is traditionally associated with trained by a master, because I always use it for mages, psis, and occult hunters without further training.

Quote:
They say in the Ultimate Combat write-up that it may include weapons, but then doesn't suggest any options for their inclusion. Should a take a few separately, or can I use "Weapon Adaptation" to integrate them into the "Style!" like I did with Dagger (which is RAW to Karate)? When I did Taijutsu, you included the related style weapons at -1, but they were more clearly referenced.
you can include them using weapon adaptation. I will smile upon weapons that feel "eastern martial artsy" having this perk.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #29
the_matrix_walker

Are your multipliers additive or multiplicative? I'll calculate the fire breath out for the template value.

...The template DR should probably have "can't wear armor".
...Note that without "once on stays on" for Morph, he will have to find a place to accommodate his full size to sleep and will take up some big space on the battlefield if he gets knocked unconscious.

Powers suggests that stunts (and thus techniques) adding reduced time should probably be rejected, so I didn't include one, but let me know if you feel differently. Ten seconds is an eternity when the action starts.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #30
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Are your multipliers additive or multiplicative? I'll calculate the fire breath out for the template value.
Additive, I suppose. Doesn't matter too much in this format.

Quote:
...The template DR should probably have "can't wear armor".
You are correct. I always forget about that modifier.

Quote:
...Note that without "once on stays on" for Morph, he will have to find a place to accommodate his full size to sleep and will take up some big space on the battlefield if he gets knocked unconscious.
That's an expensive modifier, but I think its quite appropriate for the concept. Stick it on.

Quote:
Powers suggests that stunts (and thus techniques) adding reduced time should probably be rejected, so I didn't include one, but let me know if you feel differently. Ten seconds is an eternity when the action starts.
Lets not do speed combat transformations. You do have active change though, which will help.