Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
nik1979

Default GURPS podcast/vblog series?

Speaking of Podcasts/vblog; I wonder how would a GURPS Podcasts/vblog be like? what would be its priorities?

Seeing the wealth of GURPS fan made material; I could imagine a Vblog having a section where they walk through combat examples... not just combat examples but rules examples.

The vblog would highlight updates in common GURPS haunts.

I guess its purpose is to make GURPS more accessible and walking through the strenghts of the system.

How would you format it?
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Proteus

Default Re: GURPS podcast/vblog series?

Were I to do such a thing (which I don't have the time or facilities for), I'd take some inspiration from the Smiling Jack's Bar and Grill podcast for the Savage Worlds game system.

A representative episode could include some or all of:
  • A round-up of recently published products (print and PDF);

• A retrospective review of a long-ago-published product (3e world books?);

• An example of some single rules subsection in play, with reference to the rules as the example plays out;

• An interview (live or via Skype, etc.) with a notable professional game author or fan, talking about published or upcoming work, home campaigns or characters, and the like;

• A rundown on recent convention activity (speakers, seminars, guests, demo games) and upcoming events;

• Letters or emails or Facebook posts or tweets with questions / comments from listeners;

• A group discussion among hosts about common general gaming issues: refereeing for difficult players, or book-keeping and player aids at the table, or use of miniatures and battlefield displays, or how to keep a sandbox campaign alive;

• Fun regular exercises like an "Iron GM" contest: present a list at the beginning of the program -- say, two game books, a location, and an object -- and get each guest or host to come up with and present, by the end of the program, a campaign frame, adventure, or NPC making use of the set. (So, for example, everyone is challenged to make use of "Robin Hood, Bio-Tech, Mexico City, and a lobster" for their creative improv).
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
nik1979

added Questions:
Time Budget?
Frequency of Showing? 1/week; 2/mo.; 1/mo.?
Visual Format?
- talking heads?
- Visual Presentation/like a Power Point?
- small talking head over a Presentation? Mixed...
MIB#2428
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Proteus

All IMHO, of course:
  • Episode length: no less than twenty minutes, no more than an hour, divided into clearly identifiable segments of 10-15 minutes each;.

• Frequency: no more often than once a month, no less than quarterly;

• Visual format: purely audio, though with good production values like intros and outros, opening music, etc.

Sure, you could go for something grander -- but I think simple is good, both to ensure the project is easier to keep going and to keep it more accessible to listeners. For example, good video production is hard, and reduces your audience size; if you keep it audio-only, people can listen while jogging or commuting without having to watch a screen.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
nik1979

other topics I would like to add for a GURPS podcast/vblog:
  • Trending Topics on the SJG forums.
  • aggragates GURPS related Posts of various blogs and sites for the period.
  • GMing - GURPS is not like DnD in GM prep and structure. It has more flexibility and deals with more Genres. Ex. Mysteries, Ctuthulu, Horror, Social/Political game, Traveller/Firefly Games, Etc... GMing style is GURPS is more varied within the same system. I think what makes it greater is that you can draw from various styles into your game. A lot of GMing skills to talk about.
  • game of the week a features very different games going with GURPS. Show cases variety of games and shows the tip of the GURPS iceberg.
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 08-23-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: One more topic, and typo
Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
nanoboy

Happy Jack's RPG Podcast frequently talks about GURPS. The primary host is a big fan, and you can even find an episode in the past in which the crew interviews Steve Jackson et al.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote