Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
Werdna

Default [Rules] Rules Questions - from a new player

Greetings,

I have two questions from a few games I've played with my kids so far. I tried to read the rules carefully but maybe I missed something. Hopefully people can help:

1) What is "range 2" for fire weapons - is that 2 car-lengths (like for holographic sight) or 2 measuring sticks (4 carlengths)? We're assuming 2 carlengths, which is pretty close, but that could be intended. Maybe we're being too tough on flamethrowers, though. Along the same lines, this would answer how to treat melee "range 1."

2) Turreted weapons go in the "crew area," so how do they take damage? Or are they immune? Damage cards are 4-zone specific, and other than "opposite armor" or "driver" or "crew" (driver, gunner) callouts where the zone is overridden, I don't see another way to put damage counters on a turret. Not sure if that's intended, or I'm missing something.

Thanks!
Andrew
Werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
PresidentTwoeagles

Default Re: [Rules] Rules Questions - from a new player

1) Range 2 is 2 car lengths, so use the measuring sticks. You have to measure to the rectangular part of the base, not the curved parts. The stick also helps with determining range re-rolls.

2) Turrets are considered equipped to each firing arc, but they're put in the crew area because you don't have 4 turret cards :) If you take damage to a weapon on any side, it can do damage to the turret.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
Werdna

Thanks - guess #2 makes a lot of sense that it can be hit from any side.
Werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
Magesmiley

There's another effect too - as turrets count as being equipped to all four sides, it means that paint on any side also affects turreted weapons, even if they are firing in a different direction. The paint effect very specifically applies to all weapons equipped on that side, which includes turrets.

(And yes, I was experimenting with paint grenades during one of the weekend games.)

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentTwoeagles View Post
1) Range 2 is 2 car lengths, so use the measuring sticks. You have to measure to the rectangular part of the base, not the curved parts. The stick also helps with determining range re-rolls.
You need to be careful - range is defined differently for defense rerolls and card range limits. The first is in turn keys, the latter in car lengths. Which is confusing.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
JimTullis

Pretty sure they were using a Turning Key to measure Flame Thrower range at Origins.

I know it isn't precisely 2 car lengths, but I'm not planning on hollering if people do it.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
PresidentTwoeagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Pretty sure they were using a Turning Key to measure Flame Thrower range at Origins.

I know it isn't precisely 2 car lengths, but I'm not planning on hollering if people do it.
That's exactly what the SJG folks are doing in the videos, so that's really what should be done. That's why the tool is sized the way it is.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:15 PM   #8
Blackcat Moebius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentTwoeagles View Post

2) Turrets are considered equipped to each firing arc, but they're put in the crew area because you don't have 4 turret cards :) If you take damage to a weapon on any side, it can do damage to the turret.
Can ‘Crew’ damage hit the turret as well?
Blackcat Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:44 AM   #9
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat Moebius View Post
Can ‘Crew’ damage hit the turret as well?
Nope. It's a weapon, and considered to be a candidate for weapon damage on all sides of the vehicle. It's just placed in the crew area as that is where general (every side) stuff that can be damaged is put.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #10
Aleph
Administrator

Here are the definitions from the rules for the "Range X" weapon restriction, and for determining defensive re-rolls due to range.
p.8 RESTRICTIONS (box) "RANGE X — can only be used within X car lengths of a target"

p.19 RANGE "The target gets one defense re-roll for each full turning key length between the attacker and the target "
The turning key is two car lengths long, so can be used as a shortcut for any Range 2 weapon.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote