Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
EskrimadorNC

Default The Raid: Redemption, a Technical Grappling Analysis

So in an attempt to continue to evolve my understand of GURPS Combat, GURPS Martial Arts, and GURPS Technical Grappling rules, I was inspired by TG's writer Douglas Cole's "Technical Natasha" blog post to do my own TG Analysis.

I picked part 1 of the Hallway Fight Scene from The Raid: Redemption. If you like martial arts movies and haven't seen this one what, stop what you are doing RIGHT FREAKING NOW and go watch it. You won't be disappointed.

My goals for analysis and posting are 3-fold:
  • Translate movie fight choreography to GURPS mechanics to help me better understand how all of the pieces work together AND help me become better at describing such action when it unfolds at my table.
  • Sanity-check my analysis against other GMs and players to see if I am getting mechanics right or leaving out any major components.
  • Build an understanding of what skill levels, advantages, perks, techniques, and foe behaviors are necessary to running combat that can capture the FEEL of what you see on screen in a movie like this.

Here is the youtube clip of the fight scene I'll be working off of:

https://youtu.be/o1eoThF59w0

But seriously, go watch the whole movie. I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix.

Also, I'm going to split the analysis up into several posts to make replying to individual pieces of easier.

Last edited by EskrimadorNC; 12-04-2020 at 12:47 PM.
EskrimadorNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, technical grappling