Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Jaware

Default Re: Looking for advice on how to create a costs x energy limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
GURPS... doesn't really work like that. You could assume that the current prices are appropriate to a character with HP and FP 10, in which case it's -10% for not being able to go below 0 and then each 10% FP is -3.75%, each 10% HP is -7.5%, but then most characters are getting less points back than they arguably should.
Yea that is one issue...

I suppose I could just figure out the limitation value for when it was bought. And then leave it alone after that point in time without adjusting it back and forth..
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
It will always cost a minimum of 1. So you can use it if you are at 1 FP or 1 HP. Albeit with cosequences

What do you mean scale? Like the old fireball spell, the 1, 2, or 3 FP per second up to your Margery level?

I wasn't thinking of it, but it would probably be something to look into
More along the lines of:

Spend 5-FP, get a 5d fireball (for example).
Spend 3-FP, get a 3d fireball.
Spend 2-FP, get a 2d fireball.
Spend 1-FP, get a 1d fireball.

Something like this is straight Variable Costs FP. But it's limited in that you cannot choose how much FP you'll be spending. Which may be the Uncontrollable limitation applied to the Variable Costs FP.

If, however, the progression is what I think you intend:

Spend 5-FP, get a 5d fireball.
Spend 3-FP, get a 5d fireball.
Spend 2-FP, get a 5d fireball.
Spend 1-FP, get a 5d fireball.

Then I think, by RAW, you'll need to go to Alternate Attacks with an Uncontrollable limitation to prevent you from switching up at will. And how to apply a limitation to an AA is a little beyond me at this point...

And yes, in either case, you'd have to recalculate each time the FP pool is increased...

Last edited by Jerander; 03-16-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Jerander

The other thought I had was using Trigger (spend 50% of available FP). But I wouldn't know how to price the limitation...
Old 03-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
More along the lines of:

Something like this is straight Variable Costs FP. But it's limited in that you cannot choose how much FP you'll be spending. Which may be the Uncontrollable limitation applied to the Variable Costs FP.

If, however, the progression is what I think you intend:

Then I think, by RAW, you'll need to go to Alternate Attacks with an Uncontrollable limitation to prevent you from switching up at will. And how to apply a limitation to an AA is a little beyond me at this point...

And yes, in either case, you'd have to recalculate each time the FP pool is increased...
I'm making a chart with 1 through 10, and 11 through 20, and 21 through 30 with a percentage written there. That way a calculator won't be needed for gameplay.

You'd just say I am at 7 FP, I cast using 20% of that. You look at the 7 column, then the 20% row. Boom. There you go. Continue on with gameplay.

For PCs I'll probably end up doing the recalculation.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #15
Jerander

Quote:
I'm making a chart with 1 through 10, and 11 through 20, and 21 through 30 with a percentage written there. That way a calculator won't be needed for gameplay.

You'd just say I am at 7 FP, I cast using 20% of that. You look at the 7 column, then the 20% row. Boom. There you go. Continue on with gameplay.

For PCs I'll probably end up doing the recalculation.
I meant recalculate the character point costs when the FP pool increases. Variable Costs FP isn't too bad, but recalculating the AA will be a little bit more work.

My real question, though, was the first progression or the second progression?
Old 03-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #16
Jaware

Quote:
I meant recalculate the character point costs when the FP pool increases. Variable Costs FP isn't too bad, but recalculating the AA will be a little bit more work.

My real question, though, was the first progression or the second progression?
What do you mean progression?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
Jerander

Quote:
What do you mean progression?
These are what I'm calling progressions:

Quote:

Spend 1-FP, get a 5d fireball.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #18
Jaware

Quote:
These are what I'm calling progressions:
I don't understand what you mean by progression though.

I want it to cost X% of the possible energy in the pool available.

For instance to use [insert advantage built as a power here] you use appropriate maeuver to activate it. Then you pay the cost, in this case X% of whatever resource. Then it gets activated for however long according to that power.

This one is working off of a Vitality reserve with special recharge . So say an average character with 10 hp has a reserve of 10, is using a power that requires 20% of their HP. Using said power would use 20% of their current HP, in this case, 20. To 20% of 20 is 4.

However. If they were to cast it again, 20% of 16, is 3.2, so another 4 hp. Leaving a 12 hp.

Again, 20% of 12, so 3 hp. Leaving 7 hp.

And again, 20% of 7, so 2 hp, leaving 5 hp.

Etc. etc. etc.

But it would differ via the number of HP available. So I don't really understand the progression you are referring to.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #19
Jerander

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by progression though.

I want it to cost X% of the possible energy in the pool available.

For instance to use [insert advantage built as a power here] you use appropriate maeuver to activate it. Then you pay the cost, in this case X% of whatever resource. Then it gets activated for however long according to that power.

This one is working off of a Vitality reserve with special recharge . So say an average character with 10 hp has a reserve of 10, is using a power that requires 20% of their HP. Using said power would use 20% of their current HP, in this case, 20. To 20% of 20 is 4.

However. If they were to cast it again, 20% of 16, is 3.2, so another 4 hp. Leaving a 12 hp.

Again, 20% of 12, so 3 hp. Leaving 7 hp.

And again, 20% of 7, so 2 hp, leaving 5 hp.

Etc. etc. etc.

But it would differ via the number of HP available. So I don't really understand the progression you are referring to.
I'm trying to understand if the ability retains the same power even though the FP put into it changes. So each progression is the *same* typical, 10-FP person. So the first time the use the "fireball" (for example purposes), it costs them 5-FP. The second time 3-FP, the third time 2-FP, and the fourth time 1-FP.

Does the fireball retain the same damage, so each use is, say, 5d burning? Or does it step down based on the amount of FP used to cast it? So the progression for the first case would be:

5-FP produces 5d fireball.
3-FP produces 5d fireball.
2-FP produces 5d fireball.
1-FP produces 5d fireball.

The progression in the second case would be:

5-FP produces 5d fireball.
3-FP produces 3d fireball.
2-FP produces 2d fireball.
1-FP produces 1d fireball.

Does the same ability always produce the exact same effect for differing costs? Or is the effect reduced based on the cost?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #20
malloyd

I'm not sure this is worth more than -5% actually. Yes it costs you more than 1 FP for the initial uses, but it lacks what is the central limitation of costs fatigue, you can use this ability *forever* without running out. If you round up, so it always costs at least 1 FP, hm, I think I'd determine how many times you could use it before you ran out of FP and price it the same as a fixed FP cost that would allow you the same number of uses before you ran out.

Tags
costs energy, limitation, limited enhancements, modifiers, reduced fatigue cost