Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
mook

Default Sound in Gaming - Android App

Howdy Folks!

Many moons ago I ran a Star Wars game and a Star Trek game, both of which were a ton of fun (duh). I had a keychain for each game that played short sound effects from the relevant film(s) - doors 'whooshing', communicators chirping, lightsabers humming, droids beeping, that sort of thing. It really added a lot of flair, I thought, a nice tool in the ol' toolbox.

So, I'm kind of excited by an android app called Custom Soundboard (I imagine there are others like it too) that basically lets you make your own soundboards for your phone/tablet out of whatever mp3s you want (assuming I'm reading the description correctly! I haven't actually been able to play with it yet).

I'm pretty excited about fiddling with this and using it for the games I run - pre-recorded mission briefings, voice mail, 911 calls, gunshots, screams, monsters growling, thunder and rain, vehicles skidding, heartbeats pounding, explosions, character themes, all as close as the phone in your pocket.

Aww, yeaah.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
ClayDowling

Default Re: Sound in Gaming - Android App

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
So, I'm kind of excited by an android app called Custom Soundboard (I imagine there are others like it too) that basically lets you make your own soundboards for your phone/tablet out of whatever mp3s you want (assuming I'm reading the description correctly! I haven't actually been able to play with it yet).
I've been thinking about this for some time. I'd love stings for each of my PCs, and regular NPCs would be especially awesome. Maybe the Star Wars Imperial March for their patron....
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Sound in Gaming - Android App

IMO it sounds somewhat unnatural unless you have many (and I do mean every-20-minutes level of many) unique sounds that you play to the various occasions.
Also, I'm GMing online, so short sounds are kinda lower priority.
I do find using Grooveshark for assembling musical OSTs for events, places and NPCs to be a nice thing to have.