Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2023, 01:33 AM   #11
Derrick_rp

Default Re: Gauss Guns in other sizes (not just 4mm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Certainly other calibers and types of gauss gun do exist, and I do think I perhaps downplayed them a bit in the 4e UT.
I've always thought a neat time travel weapon would be a gauss gun that fires musket balls. On the surface, it looks like an ordinary musket, and the wounds it causes resemble ordinary musket fire, but it's more accurate, more deadly, and has a much greater rate of fire. Plus, one can reload in the past.
Derrick_rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:43 AM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_rp View Post
I've always thought a neat time travel weapon would be a gauss gun that fires musket balls. On the surface, it looks like an ordinary musket, and the wounds it causes resemble ordinary musket fire, but it's more accurate, more deadly, and has a much greater rate of fire. Plus, one can reload in the past.
My initial thought was accuracy wouldnt be huge increase due to still being a smoothbore. However a gauss weapon could impart spin/rotation on a ball, still have high velocity, and perhaps most importantly consistent power per shot.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:39 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Presumably this needs iron musket balls, or lead-coated iron? Those have never been commonplace AFAIK, and are harder to make with hand tools than ordinary lead musket balls. Those can be cast by hand with a simple mould, and a hot campfire is enough to melt lead. Iron has a much higher melting point.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:03 AM   #14
Varyon

Quote:
It would have the problem of obviously not being a musket to anyone who saw it in use, due to the lack of a giant cloud of smoke when fired. I'd also imagine lead buildup in the barrel would be a bad thing for such a weapon (EDIT: unless you are able to get the lead ball to "float" in the middle of the barrel without touching any of the walls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Presumably this needs iron musket balls, or lead-coated iron? Those have never been commonplace AFAIK, and are harder to make with hand tools than ordinary lead musket balls. Those can be cast by hand with a simple mould, and a hot campfire is enough to melt lead. Iron has a much higher melting point.
Do EM weapons absolutely require a ferromagnetic bullet (or jacket/sabot on said bullet)? It's possible to use electromagnets to induce an electric current in a conductor, which in turn will produce a magnetic field - which can be acted upon to propel the projectile (this is how magnetic levitation of aluminum works). I don't think it's as efficient as just having a ferromagnetic bullet to start with, or even as efficient as putting a discarding sabot on an otherwise-nonmagnetic bullet, and it would probably require a weapon specifically designed for it (a lead bullet in a typical gauss weapon isn't going to do much), but it seems like it should be doable. It may require a more precisely-made lead bullet than you're going to be casting over a campfire, however.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:56 AM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Presumably this needs iron musket balls, or lead-coated iron? .
From LWCAMP it only needs to be an electrical conductor. A contactless coilgun wouldn't suffer lead build-up either. It'd still draw attention from anyone who saw it.

My own take on things for time travelers or similar people like IW's various services is that there would (broadly) be two rules for equipment.

Under Rule:Eyeballs gear has to pass as "normal" for the time and place and little besides very very good reproductions can even be considered. This would be for scouts and deep penetration people.

In contrast, Rule:Footprints is for gear to be used when or where the locals won't see it but rather only the traces it leaves behind. This would be for various sorts of armed "rescue" units. Their boots wouldn't have to really pass for local. They'd just have to leave the right sort of footprints and if the locals are using 12 bore muskets the rescue force (if it makes certain not to be seen by anyone who doesn't get a dose of Eraser drug) can carry 12 guage magazine fed shotguns loadedwith lead balls and fitted with brass catchers..
Old 01-19-2023, 07:47 PM   #16
Derrick_rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It would have the problem of obviously not being a musket to anyone who saw it in use, due to the lack of a giant cloud of smoke when fired.
The weapon could include superficial pyrotechnics to make it resemble a period firearm when in use. It could have two modes. Silent, and pyrotechnic camouflage.
Derrick_rp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauss weapons, musket