Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
thenicnet

Default King in Pink vs. Psychic

Playing a combined game of Cthulhu and Space Munchkin we ran into an issue.
One of the players was a Psychic Class (Space) which enables him to discard a card at any time even during combat. He was fighting against a Starfish (Space), but more importantly against a The King in Pink (Cthulhu).

With three cards in his hand before trying to run from the King in Pink, he felt he could use his Psychic ability 3 times to discard all the cards in his hand and basically negate the effects of The King in Pink.

Is this a legal maneuver? It does not say how many times this ability can be used at once.

Love the game... sorry if this has already been answered.
thenicnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: King in Pink vs. Psychic

Not familiar with the effects of The King in Pink, but as far as I can tell there is no limit on how often you can use the Psychic ability, so I'd say he should definitely be able to drain his hand by using it. Without knowing what exactly it says on The King in Pink, I can't say whether he should be able to do so BEFORE those effects take place.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
thenicnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Not familiar with the effects of The King in Pink, but as far as I can tell there is no limit on how often you can use the Psychic ability, so I'd say he should definitely be able to drain his hand by using it. Without knowing what exactly it says on The King in Pink, I can't say whether he should be able to do so BEFORE those effects take place.
The King in Pink Bad Stuff:
Forces you to loose a level for every card in your hand.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Mister Ed

Then there shouldn't be any problem with discarding everything using the Psychic power before that happens. Just do it after you decide you can't win, and before rolling to Run Away.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
thenicnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Then there shouldn't be any problem with discarding everything using the Psychic power before that happens. Just do it after you decide you can't win, and before rolling to Run Away.
Darn it... you weren't supposed to side with him! I'm waiting to see if I can get an official answer on this. Thank you for the answers though.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

There is no general rule that prevents you from making any legal move during combat. If you have an ability that lets you discard cards during combat you may use it, and just because a Monster has Bad Stuff that relies on the cards in your hand has nothing to do with preventing you from using that ability unless it says so. King In Pink says nothing about preventing a player from using any of his available discarding abilities. And, that's the official word.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jerkmove, king, psychic