Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Snaps

Default Re: Infinite Worlds Coordinates

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
I always assumed that the geographic coordinates had a default setting of "Right Here", which lets them jump within quanta, but to use a projector, they have to be at certain pre-defined points.

As for what you need to calculate a path:
Full para-chronic coords for departure dimension
Full para-chronic coords for target dimension
partial coords for any para-chronic weirdness along the path, like quantum sargassos, or Thesis-1.
Hmm. I always thought that time was another requirement for making a jump. Meaning, that you couldn't just make a jump whenever you wanted, you had to wait for your "window."

Not sure why I thought this was a requirement but I've always used it in the games I've ran to good effect. (Ie. You have to hold back the waves of zombies until the time you can jump, etc.)
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Hmm. I always thought that time was another requirement for making a jump. Meaning, that you couldn't just make a jump whenever you wanted, you had to wait for your "window."
This is the case for jumps beyond Q5/ You have to wait for your assigned projector to be turned on back on Homeline.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This is the case for jumps beyond Q5/ You have to wait for your assigned projector to be turned on back on Homeline.
Snaps is right. In addition to this, for two-quantum jumps, transit is only possible during certain one-hour-long "windows" that pop up once in a while. Infinity can predict them only a few hours before they appear, but Centrum can predict a window a few days in advance. Either way, without a window, you can't jump, even with a ready projector and conveyor.

Samd6's house rule is just that, a house rule. As written, the rule is that you have a precalculated course for a location and two worlds. So I can shift from New York City (Times Square) in Merlin to Homeline. I can't use that course to go between those two worlds in Grand Central Station. There's no such thing as a "Right Here" course setting that works in multiple locations. The notion of "cross-dimensional navigational hazards" is compatible with the setting, but not explicitly mentioned.

Centrum can cheat this locations rule a little, but not by more than a mile, and only on projector-assisted trips.

Calculating a new course requires a supercomputer... but now we have a problem. Not just that "supercomputer" isn't a term we can directly translate to a computer size or complexity. Homeline is TL8, with a little TL9. So how are Infinity Agents being routinely issued 3lb palmtops with Complexity 7 processors? This implies TL10 computer tech. Which means complexity 8-9 supercomputers. Sure the tech could be pirated or limited issue, but even that has major implications for IW. I suggest that GMs create a house rule here, but as written, your complexity 4 desktop won't be calculating that course at all.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, infinte worlds, traveling coordinates