Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Langy

Default Re: The art of Dungeon Fantasy 13: Monsters 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Which makes me curious to ask, could you use Munchkin art in a GURPS Monster book?

That'd definitely be a step up in general art quality...
I don't know how well that would work. The Munchkin art is in a completely different style from most GURPS art. I wouldn't say it's of a higher quality than the GURPS art, either.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I don't know how well that would work. The Munchkin art is in a completely different style from most GURPS art. I wouldn't say it's of a higher quality than the GURPS art, either.
We could be talking about a Munchkin Monster Manual...
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
We could be talking about a Munchkin Monster Manual...
There is one already, IIRC. I think I have it!
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
There is one already, IIRC. I think I have it!
Too bad it's 3.5 and not GURPS... but if the art could be reused that could be a win-win.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There is that. DF is comic-relief munchkin fantasy. (...)
The saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is analogous to "silliness is in the mind of the interpreter".

Isn't better to let different people to think and play in different ways, putting "official" value judgments aside?

Quote:
Which makes me curious to ask, could you use Munchkin art in a GURPS Monster book?

That'd definitely be a step up in general art quality...
If you're speaking about John Kovalic - SJG's Munchkin-style art, using that as Dungeon Fantasy art would be the definitive step down for me not purchasing these products anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
In that case I'm fine with no art at all, actually. Yeah, it's fun to look at but the writer is hopefully good enough at descriptions that art is optional.
If we were to have Munckhin-style art in any Dungeon Fantasy release, I'd prefer absolutely no art, too.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
The saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is analogous to "silliness is in the mind of the interpreter".

Isn't better to let different people to think and play in different ways, putting "official" value judgments aside?

If you're speaking about John Kovalic - SJG's Munchkin-style art, using that as Dungeon Fantasy art would be the definitive step down for me not purchasing these products anymore.

If we were to have Munckhin-style art in any Dungeon Fantasy release, I'd prefer absolutely no art, too.
I agree with you on the fact that it would be nice to not have GURPS DF be a silly game but if there were a cool, high powered fantasy game that was written seriously then I would not care how silly DF degenerated into because I would never buy DF anymore, only the serious high fantasy game. But such is life...

I will admit that I would not buy a DF product if it had Munchkin art. I would want no art in that case.

Last edited by b-dog; 09-04-2010 at 03:46 PM.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #17
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I'm not much for Dungeon Fantasy, but, if you're just looking for pics for monsters there's scads to be found or made. I did a cursory scan of my creatures directory for DAZ|Studio, and made these in about 5 minutes:

Angels
Mantaraptor
Zubarra, whatever that means.

I, for one, am fine with a book not having any art other than example art. However, I'm also happy to go through a book and look at all the pretty pictures (when I'm feeling simple, which is fairly often).
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post

People can play it however they want . . . but this was a personal creative project for me, written when I had some downtime between big, serious projects. I wrote six of the current 12 titles, including the two "core" items (DF 1 and 2). So I know what I had in mind when I was writing, and that's what I'm looking for when I review other writers' proposals, or art, or anything else to do with the series.

I think it's cool that people can take what I wrote and run with it in all kinds of directions. But I also think it's important that I stay true to my creative vision rather than try to be all things to all people.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

For what it's worth, I'd prefer new art to recycled Munchkin art, for the most part. But I'd be very happy seeing my monsters done up by John Kovalic!
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #20
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
For what it's worth, I'd prefer new art to recycled Munchkin art, for the most part. But I'd be very happy seeing my monsters done up by John Kovalic!
Then we disagree here. I like Kovalic art for Munchkin, Dork Tower and Chez games, but I really hope that we don't get it for Dungeon Fantasy. Now, hope is all I can do, since I'm just a custommer, and I will not say I won't buy new DF items because they have Kovalic illustrations, because it would serve no real purpose, and it would also be false, but I would really prefer no art to Kovalic art in this case. Personally, I would really like some Alex Fernandez art for DF ;)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art, dungeon fantasy