Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
KjetilKverndokken

Default Re: Converting Cthulhutech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkamorka View Post
I think it's cool you are converting it, but I still want to ask, why? Cthulhutech is a game built to do a specific thing (I think), so why convert it? I know what I would answer, but am curios to hear your reason.

Thanks
Well, as a game designer myself actually I can say that the system in Ctech is not built to portray the setting very well - The sitting is very nice (with a few extra bolt and screws - but the system has to little diversion for what it tries to do. it promise to deliver a cinematic game in its rules, but in no way can the rules deliver on it.
The Psychic rules are strangely concocted to say the very least, gurps psycics is much better.
Ctech have gotten an equipment book, but the rules really dont let all the equipment feel any different, besides a dice or two in modification, Ultratech does a much better job.

I could do it with FATE or create something myself, but i want ctech to have a much more, realistic tone and thats why I see Gurps as a perfect fit :-).

So like what bigjakev2.0 said, Im not going to translate the system, but replace it. i want all the setting elements in - maybe make the setting grow up a little to the same level as Eclipse Phase writing, but with the same filling.

Most of the equipment in Ctech is easily done with BioTech and UltraTech.

---

Though some of the greatest hinders would be:

Creating the Mecha - The Spaceship supplement may do it with enough diversion?).

Creating Engels - Most have said build them as Allies, but the question is how to go forward with it, as they are bio-mechs (Engels are mythos monsters that have a lot of cybernetics, and can have a pod inserted into their nervous system where the pilot control them mentally).

Creating the Tagers/Dhoanoids - it will probably be the easiest part, just find the right advantages and disadvantages for each type, and their metamorphosed versions. One can actually put in every mythos monsters in here to.

Find out how to create a good Sorcery system with Thaumatology. As fitting with the Lovecraftian world it have to be a spell list, and not free-form magic. So maybe one can take every spell from Call of cthulhu-Trail of Cthulhu and Ctech and actually do a translation, but use Thaumatology to actually make a better system to actually use and cast the spells.

---

So thats what I need to figure out, after that everything is just a breeze.
Also I'm thinking maybe characters should start at a 120 point level, as thats feels like a more realistic startpoint. (So an Engel/Tager - should actually be just a free point template a player gets for being those things, Engel if Allies is used).

So for those that know both settings, how would you maybe do the NEG mech - the Broadsword, And maybe from that as a startpoint I can design the rest of the mechs myself (though help is always appreciated :-) ).
KjetilKverndokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #12
KjetilKverndokken

Also dont get me wrong, Im not asking you to do all of this for me, just help get me started; going to post everything I convert, then you can throw suggestions at me
Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #13
KjetilKverndokken

After reading through Spaceships 4 supplement on Mecha, Im not sure it will be a good fit for Mechs in Ctech.
Such mechs can be hurt by man portable anti armor weapons, and Im unsure of how that would work against the scaled DR of those mechs 8especially considering the 10" tall Power Armors.
Maybe they will work, but I need some alternatives if not.

Just to take an example in the first Mech I want to convert: MV-16 Broadsword (page 154 in the ctech core book). Its kind of the Main battletank (or medium mech if you will) of the NEG (New Earth Government). And using fair use Copyright rules on how many percentage one can copy and show I will give you the info on this one so you can see its capabilities - and I will explain under.

------------------------------

MV-16 Broadsword
Type: Multi-Purpose Main Battle Mech
Size: Medium (26’ tall)

Stocky, sturdy, heavily armored, and reliable as hell – these are the signature characteristics of the New Earth Government’s multi-purpose main battlemech. The Broadsword has become the standard to which all other NEG mecha are measured. Its stocky torso is built for heavy armor and frame strength. Its versatile weapons array can manage any close or ranged combat situation. The Broadsword is the most widely deployed mech unit among the NEG military and can be effectively used for any tactical application. Many Migou have experienced their last moments at the hands of a Broadsword.

Sensor Systems
Broadband Audio (it is basic radio, but not using satellites as we do not have any satellites anymore)
Nightvision (again just basic nightvision)
Radar/IFF (basic radar to about 5 miles and Identify friend/Foe system)
Sonar (again basic sonar to about 1 mile)
Targeting (+2) (this is computer guided targeting system)

Support Systems
Depth Reinforcement (So it can take to great water depths, though not designed as a fully aquatic mech)
Life Support (air, heat etc)
Life Support Pod (This is kind of the cockpit, and it ejects itself automatically if the mech is critically damaged)
Manipulator Arms (small arms on the mechs torso to fine manipulate objects)

Movement
Ground Speed: 30 mph (74/18 ypt)
Water Speed: 15 mph (37/9 ypt)
(Just a show of speed in different environs)
Acceleration Code: B [2/1] (just the systems rules for how fast it can accelerate and decelerate).
Jumping Distance: Double
(20/10 yards) (speaks for it self, but it uses small jump-pods to do it)
Airdroppable (The mech has small boosters so it can be dropped from aircraft and break its fall.)
Buoyancy (The mech can use its jump-pods to traverse itself under water, albeit slowly)
Grapplers (basic grapplers)
Jump Pods (small jets that can make it airdroppable and move under water, and double its jump).

Structure
Integrity 20 (is just hitpoints of the vehicle)
Armor 3/3 (is the armor, 4 represent the highest)
Damage Control Systems 1/turn (is a damage control system that heals/repairs each turn, until it breaks).

Weapon Systems
Amphibious Laser Cannon
(Medium) (basic laser weapon that fires a laser beam, and as name says it can also fire under water)
Amphibious Charge Beam
(Medium) (charge beam is a particle beam, its the most powerful mech weapon the NEG have, it uses some time to fire, in this game every other round)
2 Hyperedge Blades (Medium) (this is blades that are molecule sharp and can cut through high-end armor)

-------------------------------------

The mechs are powered by superscience D-Engines, it gets its power by tapping another dimension, that also creates an strange effect that lets the pilots that operate D vehicles, to fell more in tuned with the craft, making it more like a instinct to move.
Some mechs also have A-pods, that are a way of flying (most flyers have A-pods too), that is kind of an antigravity tech thing).

So now we have something to work from.

Last edited by KjetilKverndokken; 12-23-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #14
Tzeentch

I converted a chunk of the setting (templates, races, technology, skills) if you want to build off it. It's at http://tzeentchnet.pingslave.com/GURPS.html
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #15
KjetilKverndokken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
I converted a chunk of the setting (templates, races, technology, skills) if you want to build off it. It's at http://tzeentchnet.pingslave.com/GURPS.html
This looks awesome :) - how did you calculate the Mechs, did you use Spaeship 4?
It seams that the PA's have a bit to high HP compared to the broadsword.
But I can maybe use a good chunk of this :)
Old 12-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #16
Tzeentch

They are too small to use Spaceships. I just eyeballed their capabilities and converted it into Advantages/Disadvantages.

I got their ST and so on by converting their Framewerk capabilities (for lifting and so on) into GURPS units.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #17
KjetilKverndokken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
They are too small to use Spaceships. I just eyeballed their capabilities and converted it into Advantages/Disadvantages.

I got their ST and so on by converting their Framewerk capabilities (for lifting and so on) into GURPS units.
Can you give me your formula for translating those?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjetilKverndokken View Post
Can you give me your formula for translating those?
If the Cthulhutech stats include lifting capacity in pounds, that can be translated pretty directly into GURPS Basic Lift, and hence to ST. For example: a hypothetical mech can lift a maximum of 600 pounds. The maximum a GURPS character can lift is (approximately) 10xBL. So this mech must have a BL of 60lb, or ST 17-18 (depending on how you choose to round it).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
Centisteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I've never played Cthulhutech, but if you can get your hands on a copy of the out-of-print GURPS Cthulhupunk from 3e, I bet you'll be halfway there.

I can't find it in warehouse 23 or e23, but there are copies available on amazon.
Yes. I have my copy, right next to my precious 3rd edition
copy of The Book of Vile Darkness. :)

I was looking over the Ctech website. It's basic description
sounds like Rifts + Cthulhu. Perhaps looking at some Rifts
conversions for its mecha could help out?
Centisteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centisteed View Post
Yes. I have my copy, right next to my precious 3rd edition
copy of The Book of Vile Darkness. :)

I was looking over the Ctech website. It's basic description
sounds like Rifts + Cthulhu. Perhaps looking at some Rifts
conversions for its mecha could help out?
No, not at all. The simplest approach is to start at the bottom with the personal battlesuits. The GURPS equivalent of the tiny mechs at TL 10 are the heavy and commando battlesuits. That gives you a baseline for armor 1 being 100 DR. (Note that in Cthulutech all of the mecha are self-repairing thanks to nanomagic). Armor 2 would be about 150. Armor 3 would be maybe 250, and Armor 4 would be something like 400. From there you have a baseline for how much damage weapons should deal (each weapon should be slightly damaging with a average roll).
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote