Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
KjetilKverndokken

Default Converting Cthulhutech

So I really want to convert the game till Gurps, but a few things is a bit daunting - mainly Mechas/Engels.
Anybody that know both games have a suggestion for how to go about doing it.

Also wath tech level is the NEG mostly on? is it TL9 with a few supersciences?.
KjetilKverndokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
KjetilKverndokken

Default Re: Converting Cthulhutech

For those that do not know Ctech, this is the mainpage :http://www.cthulhutech.com/

its about the World being assaulted by the Migou (Mi-Go), and side by side with aliens cloned from our own DNA, we fight back, mainly in big mechs and engels (cybernetic mechs).

in the shadows, sorcerers, secret agents, para-psychics and monstrous holy warriors infused with the Mythos (called tagers), fight a secret war.

The setting IMo is full of awesome, but the rules are to little flavor in, one mech is not to different from another mech.
Gurps can help with this, but Im a novice with Gurps when it comes to creating vehicles - and this is for Gurps 4th ed.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
aesir23

I've never played Cthulhutech, but if you can get your hands on a copy of the out-of-print GURPS Cthulhupunk from 3e, I bet you'll be halfway there.

I can't find it in warehouse 23 or e23, but there are copies available on amazon.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjetilKverndokken View Post
So I really want to convert the game till Gurps, but a few things is a bit daunting - mainly Mechas/Engels.
Anybody that know both games have a suggestion for how to go about doing it.

Also wath tech level is the NEG mostly on? is it TL9 with a few supersciences?.
The first thing I turn to when asking that question are the equipment tables.

Humans have conventional firearms and gauss hand weaponry. That's TL 9 and TL 10. They have nanofacs and nanomedicine but no nanoweaponry (because it's too easy to counter). TL 11.

I'd say that their tech level is at least TL 10.

Engels are clearly Allies. They aren't off-the-rack technology, and they are inseparable from specific pilots. Mechas can be considered to be military issued vehicles.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
KjetilKverndokken

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post

Engels are clearly Allies. They aren't off-the-rack technology, and they are inseparable from specific pilots. Mechas can be considered to be military issued vehicles.
Any suggestions on how to go about building the Engels and Mechs? I have only done historicals and fantasy in Gurps, and built no vehicles in it before.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjetilKverndokken View Post
Any suggestions on how to go about building the Engels and Mechs? I have only done historicals and fantasy in Gurps, and built no vehicles in it before.
The only tool for building vehicles in GURPS 4E (so far, at least) is the Spaceships series. SS1 has the core rules, SS4 covers fighters and Mecha, and SS7 (Divergent and Paranormal Tech) may be useful for this setting. Pyramid 3/34 may also be useful for its Alternate Spaceships article, extending the Spaceships rules to cover all manner of ground vehicles.

I agree that the Engels should be built as Allies rather than equipment, but it could still be useful to construct them with the help of Spaceships, to balance them against other craft.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
KjetilKverndokken

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The only tool for building vehicles in GURPS 4E (so far, at least) is the Spaceships series. SS1 has the core rules, SS4 covers fighters and Mecha, and SS7 (Divergent and Paranormal Tech) may be useful for this setting. Pyramid 3/34 may also be useful for its Alternate Spaceships article, extending the Spaceships rules to cover all manner of ground vehicles.

I agree that the Engels should be built as Allies rather than equipment, but it could still be useful to construct them with the help of Spaceships, to balance them against other craft.
I had forgot about that supplement :) hoping it can create some diverse mechs with it :).
Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
Gorkamorka
Ceci n'est pas un hyperlien

I think it's cool you are converting it, but I still want to ask, why? Cthulhutech is a game built to do a specific thing (I think), so why convert it? I know what I would answer, but am curios to hear your reason.

Thanks
Gorkamorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
bigjakev2.0

Its most likely that Kjetil likes the background of CthulhuTech, but not the system it comes with. I have the same issue with Hellas, awesome background, so-so system. So a conversion to system he does like is in order.

So long as the goal is to capture the feel of the background, not a direct translation, (which is usually an exercise in migraine propagation), Kjetil shouldn't have much of an issue, close enough might be good in this case.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Kage2020

Got to agree with that last, but then again I haven't ever been much of a "system matters" kinda player, mostly just "wrong system matters." I'm just not overtly bothered about what "wrong" means outside of my own preference. ;)

Err, comment mostly to subscribe to the thread in the hopes that it goes somewhere. :D
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote