Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2022, 03:56 PM   #31
Phantasm

Default Re: [DF] Race Option Suggestions

Hmm... I have gargoyles in my setting, but they're not a PC race.

My setting's PC races:

Aeralon (Winged Folk)
Centaur
Dwarf
Elf
Goblin (fully integrated into human society)
Half-Elf (Human-Elf hybrid)
Halfling
Half-Orc (Human-Orc hybrid)
Hobgoblin
Human
Kobold (leettle leezards)
Minotaur (gentle giants with wanderlust)
Mohani (large lizardfolk)
Ogre (a RP challenge as they have Bestial)
Orc
Orf (Orc-Elf hybrid!)
Vulpten (fox folk)

The trick so far has been to separate the racial from the cultural. The orcs are generally found in the Northern Frontier while the elves are generally found in the sub-tropical not-Atlantis-really island continent, but there are orcs who live among the desert nomads and elves who live in the gold rush region of the Northern Frontier. Most hobgoblins rule the western breadbasket plains, but can be found anywhere including among the raised forest villages of the not-Atlantis island continent and the mountain monasteries of the far east.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:22 AM   #32
scc

So I've got some stuff for this worked out, there's some custom Talents that I still need to type up and get nailed down properly, here's the Elf, Orc, and Plane-Touched templates:

Elf:
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive)† [4]; High Manual Dexterity 1† [5]; Night Vision 5 [5].
Perks: Elven Gear† [1].

Select One of these racial lenses:
Plains Elf:
Attribute Modifiers: IQ+1 [20].
Advantages:: Close to the Source 1 [5]; Magery 0† [5].
Disadvantages: Sense of Duty (Magic) [-15].

Wood Elf:
Attribute Modifiers: DX+1 [20].
Advantages:: Forest Guardian 1† [5]; Telescopic Vision 1 [5].
Disadvantages: Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15].

Cave Elf:
Advantages: Danger Sense [15]; Silence 1 [5].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5].

Ork:
Attribute Modifiers: ST+1 [10].
Advantages: Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3)† [10].
Disadvantages: Ham-Fisted [-5]

Select One of these racial lenses:
Stoneskin:
Advantages: Night Vision 5 [5]; Pickaxe Penchant† [5]; Tunnel Rat [5].

Ironskin:
Advantages: Acute Taste and Smell 2 [4]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]; Forgeborn† [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Heat) [2]
Perks: Alcohol Tolerance [1].

Greenskin:
Advantages: Fit [5]; Green Thumb† [5]; Rapid Healing [5];

Plane-Touched:
Gnome:
Advantages: Damage Resistance 6 (Limited, Earth and Stone, -40%; Planear, -10%) [15]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]; Planaer Connection‡ [3]; Reputation +3 (Earth Elementals) [5].

Salamander
Advantages: Damage Resistance 6 (Limited, Fire and Heat, -40%; Planear, -10%) [15]; Planaer Connection‡ [3]; Reputation +3 (Fire Elementals) [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Heat, Planear, -10%) [2].

Sylphs
Advantages: Damage Resistance 6 (Limited, Air and Weather, -40%; Planear, -10%) [15]; Planaer Connection‡ [3]; Reputation +3 (Air Elementals) [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Cold, Planear, -10%) [2].

Undines
Advantages: Damage Resistance 6 (Limited, Dehydration and Water, -40%; Planear, -10%) [15]; Planaer Connection‡ [3]; Reputation +3 (Air Elementals) [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Cold, Planear, -10%) [2].

‡ Planear Connection: This allows you to cast spells from the College with the same name as the Plane from which you connected, the Recover Energy spell, spells pertaining the planear travel to you're patron plane, and Enchantment College spells to make magic items. These spells take modifiers for the casting of Planear travel spells and not modifiers for magic, they also can't be affected directly by magic, a Fireball spell cast via this talent by a Salamander is not affected by a Counterspell spell, but is affected by a Reverse Missiles spell and it's damage is negated by a Resist Fire spell.

These all need what little lore I'm going to give them.

Close to the Source gives bonuses to skills that deal with magic/the supernatural that Aren't covered by Magery, Tunnel Rat gives bonuses to skills dealing with living under ground, and Forgeborn for making things in a forge. A † denotes traits that are included on a half-breed template.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:57 PM   #33
BaHalus

As human is generally conceived as a adaptable race, maybe a Jack of All Trades talent could fit well.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote