Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: [DF] Poisoned arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
And I found no rules about arrows and the amount of poison. For instance, how many arrows can a adventurer imbue with 0.5 lb of Bladeblack or Bane?

Per Basic Set pg. 439, it should poison one arrow or impaling weapon. To poison an edged weapon, it's 3 doses per yard of reach.

It's probably simpler to just say 1 dose per weapon if you're running a fast-and-loose game, but I see nothing in DF1 that says B439 doesn't apply.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
Per Basic Set pg. 439, it should poison one arrow or impaling weapon. To poison an edged weapon, it's 3 doses per yard of reach.

It's probably simpler to just say 1 dose per weapon if you're running a fast-and-loose game, but I see nothing in DF1 that says B439 doesn't apply.
Alright. I'm sorry. I'm so used to look at the complementary books that sometimes I just forget to take att the basic set.

So a poison can gives up to -20 to HT for 24d damage?
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
Does the weight of the dose include the weight of the vial? My info isn't with me.
It specifically doesn't add to the weight of the weapon. It appears to be only the vial.
Edit:
Quote:
So a poison can gives up to -20 to HT for 24d damage?
Where are you getting -20 from? Practical Poisoning says that a successful poisons roll gives -4 to HT and x4 damage. Bladeblack is -5 HT 6d damage. -4+(-5)=-9. It should be -9 to HT and 24d damage.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-05-2012 at 12:18 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Where are you getting -20 from? Practical Poisoning says that a successful poisons roll gives -4 to HT and x4 damage. Bladeblack is -5 HT 6d damage. -4+(-5)=-9. It should be -9 to HT and 24d damage.
That's right. Thanks.

If the poisoner wants to manufacture these potions, it's up to the GM to decide which are the ingredients, right?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If the poisoner wants to manufacture these potions, it's up to the GM to decide which are the ingredients, right?
Does that actually matter in DF? DF2 page 3 says to reduce cost by 20% (or increase by 10% on a failure) for a successful Poisons roll. I think that specific ingredients are way way too detailed for DF.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Does that actually matter in DF? DF2 page 3 says to reduce cost by 20% (or increase by 10% on a failure) for a successful Poisons roll. I think that specific ingredients are way way too detailed for DF.
Perhaps for some GMs, yes. I know that DF exists to make things simpler, but maybe some GM would want to give a significant role to item gathering/manufacturing in his/her game.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Perhaps for some GMs, yes. I know that DF exists to make things simpler, but maybe some GM would want to give a significant role to item gathering/manufacturing in his/her game.
I totally agree here. Plus it gives you a reason to do foolish stuff like fight venomous spiders and go into the jungles of the horde pygmy island and gather the sticky goo of the tangler slimes only found on those high ledges on the side of the Deep Crevasse down on level 7.

Personally I'd just make that stuff up the moment someone asked and made a poisons roll ("What the hell do I need to gather to make Bladeblack, anyway?" "Er . . . vampire spleens, the berries of the blood-weeping willow, and the ichor of an unexploded doomchild.") But what the heck, making poisons isn't a bad idea. Riff off of Recipe from DF15 and you're golden. It makes sense as an Assassin Power-Up, too.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Then you aren't really asking about DF anymore. The rules in the Low-Tech Companions are probably helpful here, but I think you are going to have trouble figuring out realistic crafting rules for something as silly as Monster Drool or Bladeblack.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I would make sure to use non magical poison, as as a DM I would feel disinclided to allow magically poisoned Meteoric arrows
In what sense of the word "disallow"?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
EDIT: My character does 3d+8 impaling damage with his arrows and I'm looking for a ST 33 elven Long Bow for effective 4d+9 impaling damage. Feel like I'm poisoning a riffle bullet.
Is it reasonable to maintain that +8 or +9 damage bonus, instead of turning it into a further +2d bonus and a +tiny remainder?

4d+9 guarantees you a minimum of 13 damage. That's a lot of guaranteed armour penetration, compared to e.g. 6d+2.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, poisons