Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-07-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
DemiBenson

Default How to build a power: The Mime

I had a thought recently abouta bizarre power set, and I wasn’t sure how to do it.
Description of the effects: Anything you mime (that is, you are silent and act it out) involving yourself has real-world effects.

Examples:
  • You mime swinging and throwing a lasso, and an invisible, intangible lasso might catch your target. You still have to make a Miming skill roll, and a skill roll to hit and catch the target.
  • You mime staggering into a strong headwind, and around you a strong wind blows everyone and everything. You still have to make a Miming skill roll, and a DX roll to keep your footing.

Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: How to build a power: The Mime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
I had a thought recently abouta bizarre power set, and I wasn’t sure how to do it.
Description of the effects: Anything you mime (that is, you are silent and act it out) involving yourself has real-world effects.

Examples:
  • You mime swinging and throwing a lasso, and an invisible, intangible lasso might catch your target. You still have to make a Miming skill roll, and a skill roll to hit and catch the target.
  • You mime staggering into a strong headwind, and around you a strong wind blows everyone and everything. You still have to make a Miming skill roll, and a DX roll to keep your footing.

Thoughts?
It's clearly a Modular Ability, and it seems as if it's limited to Physical advantages. I would look at the other specifications for designing MAs in GURPS Powers.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
Donny Brook

I think Modular Abilities too.

Is there a canonical Requires Gestures limitation? If not maybe it's analogous to Requires Ready or All-Out.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Is there a canonical Requires Gestures limitation?
If I'm not mistaken, it's part of the "Pick two of three" Limitations inherent in Sorcery (Gestures, Speaking, and 1 FP). In that, it's set as -10%, so that's what I'd go with here. If you disallow speaking while it's in use, Temporary Disadvantage: Cannot Speak is appropriate (probably at the "can't make any sounds" level). Of course, that's not necessarily the case for a mime power (more on the next page, and for several pages - with an April Fools' comic in the middle - starting here), although it looks like that TD is part of what OP is looking for.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
naloth

It depends on what tricks you want your mime to have. This was one of my brother's characters from a long time ago:
The Killer Mime
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:44 PM   #6
newton

I think if modular abilities is too expensive point-wise it may be a better idea to have a small set of tricks the mime can actually do. For instance innate attacks with the right set of enhancements and limitations could be used for invisible walls or invisible weapons.
newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
I think if modular abilities is too expensive point-wise it may be a better idea to have a small set of tricks the mime can actually do. For instance innate attacks with the right set of enhancements and limitations could be used for invisible walls or invisible weapons.
If I was to do it now, I'd essentially copy what Sorcery did. A modular slot pool, wide talent, and lots of AAs. You could make it come out to the same 20 base + 10/lvl, which grants you the ability to improve any mimed ability worth up to your level ability. In addition, you take every "trick" you know and make it an AA with a normal cost less than your pool. It takes 1 second to get into an ability (start miming it), then you can use it the following turn.

My prior example becomes:
Mime Pool 6 [70] (allows any ability costing up to 6 points to be done at will).
Mimed Grenade [68 actual / 5 = 14]
Mimed Sniper [39 / 5 = 8 ]
Mimed Shotgun [ 9 actual / 5 = 2 ]
Mimed Revolver [ 20 actual / 5 = 4 ]
Mimed Chainsaw or Sword [ 13 actual / 5 = 3]
Mimed Glider [ 12 actual = 3 ]
Mimed Motorcycle [ 27 actual / 5 = 6]
Mimed Robot Body [ 25 actual / 5 = 5]
Mimed Stairs or Ladder or Coyote running on Air (12 actual / 5 = 3]

Total: 118 points
Mime Talent would be 10/lvl.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #8
ravenfish

Powers p.116 prices "requires gestures" at -10%. This is in the context of fantasy spellcasting, but it should work just as well for miming.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
DemiBenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
It depends on what tricks you want your mime to have. This was one of my brother's characters from a long time ago:
The Killer Mime
Thanks. That’s a good place to mine for ideas.
Although I might add No Signature to the power modifier.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:47 AM   #10
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
Thanks. That’s a good place to mine for ideas.
Although I might add No Signature to the power modifier.
I took a weak signature as part of the total mime modifiers because it's silent with strong visual clues as to what power is being used.

Tags
powers