Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Rhino

Default Banestorm

I am excited about Banestorm coming out and am going to start a fantasy game when it does. Will it have a compendium of monsters and generic npcs to allow me to start playing with a minimum of bother? How does the map look? Any way to get a peek online?
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Banestorm

It proibly have a minium of Monsters, maybe one or two examples. or unique;y Yrth Monsters. Mosts will proible be saved for GURPS Beastry
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
It proibly have a minium of Monsters, maybe one or two examples. or unique;y Yrth Monsters. Mosts will proible be saved for GURPS Beastry
When will they be releasing GURPS Bestiary? It's not on the list of planned releases (going through next year, I believe).
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Well the List does metion anything beyond 4 Months. They too Gun shy to comment beyond that point
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Michael Hopcroft

I don't know why, but the Yrth setting has never appealeed to me for some reason. Maybe I don't get it for some reason.
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
nanoboy

In GURPS:Fantasy for 3rd Edition (the Yrth setting) there were a number of monsters in the back, some of them interesting and useful. I would imagine that GURPS:Banestorm will have at least as many.

To me, the appeal of Yrth is in regard to the religions available. They are familiar, which can be a plus, if you want to take religion seriously in your campaign. Also, it is unclear whether or not they are true religions, and if one is true, then the others are at least partly false. This little effect is much like real life. Thus, if you have religious characters, then you have faith and doubt, which are interesting story components, and a good GM can work with that.

The other aspects of the setting are okay but not exceptional. It is religion that really shines through in the Yrth setting.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
sjard
Stick in the Mud

The hard part is finding players who are willing to give the setting a chance. As a GM, while I tend to ignore those religions involved in the real world as much as possible, find that they are a wonderful element to a roleplaying oriented setting. They offer an imerssive quality that fictional religions rarely have. Or even those real religions that are not as well known.

I've had players who enjoy going the nasty sneaky route in fantasy settings (I don't mean your stereotypical thief, I'm refering to the sadistic propogandist types). When I finally convinced them to try the Yrth setting they had more fun and were able to be orders of magnitude nastier than they had been in other settings, enough to cause one of the players to give himself the creeps over what he was able to do with ease because of the depth of the setting. A Railroad of this type is a double edged sword. If you fight against where it takes you it is hard to have fun, but if you allow it to take you places you would be going anyway it makes playing the role you have chosen so much easier.
MIB #1457
sjard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:40 AM   #8
Phil Masters

Don't believe every guess you hear from random fans.

Banestorm will in fact have a chapter of assorted Yrthian creatures and monsters, ready to use. (Some will doubtless differ from those with the same names in Bestiary, when that appears.) It will also have a large set of racial templates for various nonhumans, many of them as (or better) suited to serve as "monsters" rather than PCs. (Playing a PC troll is possible, but, well, a bit wacky, really.)

It'll also have some fully statted NPCs, though to be honest, they're more leading public figures (potential Enemies, Patrons, Contacts, etc.) than pregen PCs.
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:41 AM   #9
Phil Masters

Oh, and the maps (plural) looked great, from what I saw of them.
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
nanoboy

Mmm... Maps... Inadequate maps are a frequent weakness in RPGs.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote