Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2022, 10:42 PM   #1
KarlKost

Default Inventions, Alchemy and Metratronics

Greetings everybody.

I created a bunch of tables, with rules for use of Metatronics for Alchemy.

It's not finished, just "almost finished", but it is already usable, I compiled all rules for inventions too, including for Gadgeteers and Quick-Gadgeteers for easy reference, along with concise rules for turning Alchemy into a sort of "Magic System 2.0). I think it's pretty cool, and now you guys will have the tools necessary to produce any new type of Elixirs that you could want.

Please enjoy, and all feedback is welcomed

(Temporarily removed while I decide which material to post as to not post the entire article)

Last edited by KarlKost; 11-18-2022 at 05:28 AM.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:34 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Inventions, Alchemy and Metratronics

That is a LOT of information pasted from the article for all to have. Who needs the article exactly with all this?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:19 AM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
That is a LOT of information pasted from the article for all to have. Who needs the article exactly with all this?
He is right. While the article does give more, someone probably would be not inclined to buy the issue with all that up there for free.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:26 AM   #4
KarlKost

Sorry, I pasted it all into it in order to facilitated my own life, and also to be a quick and fast table for consulting.

Do you guys think it is intelligible information thou, without knowing beforehand the article? If you say so, I'll edit the tables and remove the ones on metatronics and leave just the finished parts on alchemy, which was the intent (I guess the other tables are ok to leave? Like the quick tables for inventions, I think that one is useful as a quick guide).

I personally thought that one would need to have had read the article previously but yeah, perhaps I did laid out too much, enough to be able to infer from those.

I'll defer to your opnions, whatever you think I should do, I'll do it.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:36 AM   #5
KarlKost

What about the rest, what did you guys thought about it? On the parts on Alchemy, the prices, time to produce, the CP costs for the elixirs, the types of elixirs? I know I have yet to finish those - but honestly, since it is all already laid there, it's only truly a matter of deciding what truly are each of the modifiers. I also greatly expanded the kinds of elixirs possible.

All those tables were actually tremendous trouble, I used Low Tech, Basic, the Pyramid Article (obviously lol), I even went on High Tech and Ultra Tech just to check out on the batteries, Gurps Magic to check the section on Alchemy... It was truly quite a cross reference work haha. I really hope you guys like this, and if that idea ever goes into publishing for something, please feel free to do so and I would be honored.

Now, just tell me which parts of the archive I can keep and which to chop for the general public
Old 11-18-2022, 05:43 AM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Sorry, I pasted it all into it in order to facilitated my own life, and also to be a quick and fast table for consulting.

Do you guys think it is intelligible information thou, without knowing beforehand the article? If you say so, I'll edit the tables and remove the ones on metatronics and leave just the finished parts on alchemy, which was the intent (I guess the other tables are ok to leave? Like the quick tables for inventions, I think that one is useful as a quick guide).

I personally thought that one would need to have had read the article previously but yeah, perhaps I did laid out too much, enough to be able to infer from those.

I'll defer to your opnions, whatever you think I should do, I'll do it.
As I said the article has more info and detail but yeah I think its too much. You include a bit of explanation, enough that much of it seems understandable from just knowing the concept.
I think what you did is good work for personal use, leave it as is. But it is way to detailed for publishing on the internet.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:06 AM   #7
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
As I said the article has more info and detail but yeah I think its too much. You include a bit of explanation, enough that much of it seems understandable from just knowing the concept.
I think what you did is good work for personal use, leave it as is. But it is way to detailed for publishing on the internet.
Yes, I really didnt think it through beforehand; I did laid down all the relevant information on easily accessible tables for the sake of my own sanity so that I wouldnt need constant back and forth on all the sources while I was creating the whole idea; I thought it would be fine to leave those tables in case somebody wanted to check them out and modify something.

Would it be ok to remove the parts on Metatronics and just share the final parts on Alchemy? If necessary I'll remove the process to get there too, and I'll leave only the final delivery of it.

If any mods would like to, I could send the full archive on private that is, if you guys would allow me to. I dont know if this could be of anybody's interest or not, I hope it is (seriously, it would be an honor to give that small contribution).

So, what do you say? Is it ok to post the alchemy parts exclusively? (Can I also add the tables on Inventions for quick references?)
Old 11-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #8
KarlKost

So, just do to a quick recap:

Each Elixir would be it's own Metatronic "device" that doesnt need an "activation roll" to use, just an Alchemy roll to brew.

Each type of Elixir is a Meta-enhancement with it's own value. Each Elixir is a hard technique that defaults to Alchemy (or Herbalism) -1 for every 10 CP (rounded up) over the final "cost". Each 1 CP that the Elixirs "costs" in the correspondent Advantages costs between $3,00 and $3,50 at TL 3 "typical" fantasy setting (so for example, for a TL 8 that would be $60 or $70 per TL) in materials alone; Alchemists will sell those to merchants for 5x that price, and adventurers can therefore find Elixirs for sale at "common" markets for 10x that price.

Each 1 CP takes 12 hours of brewing.

Two special wildcard techniques can be used to "power up" Alchemy in this process: Batching! and Fast Brewing!

Fast Brewing! allows reducing the necessary time to produce Elixir. Each lvl costs 3 CP, with the first costing 6, all the way up to lvl 9. This technique actually consists into buying off the penalties of hasting actions (present in the Gurps Basic).

Instead of giving this threatment, it would be easier to simply threat it as an Advantage that costs 30 CP and reduces brewing time by 90% - rounding up the value to 1 hour of brewing per CP, turning it an Advantage akin to "Ritual Adept" from RPM magic.

Batching! allows to brew several "doses" of a single Elixir at once, thus increasing the production of "toys" avaiable. With 6 CP you buy your first extra batch (thus being able to produce 2 "doses" at once), and each 3 extra CP spent on it allows for one extra dose/batch. This is yet another case of buying off penalties, in this case it's the penalties for brewing multiple Elixirs at once present on the Alchemy section of Gurps Magic.

Those 2 options could either be made avaiable by the GM alone, or only as optionals for those that decide to buy the Alchemy! wildcard skill.

In case the GM uses Alchemy! WC along with the two wildcard techniques, this in fact turns Alchemy into a sort of "alternative Magery", with very flexible creation rules and "adventuring" uses.

And the rules for Invention present on Gurps Magic apply in full for inventing new Elixirs.

So, a few quick examples of Potions for TL3 (Meta-Enhancement -70%):

Potion of Insubstantiallity - 24 CP
Insubstantiality [80] - Potion -70%
Cost: $72 (materials); $720 (retail)
Duration: 2d-1 hours
Brewing time: 12 days (24 hours with "Fast Brew")
Default: Alchemy -3

Potion of Invisibility - 12 CP
Invisibility [40] - Potion -70%
Cost: $36 (materials); $360 (retail)
Brewing time: 6 days (12 hours with "Fast Brew")
Default: Alchemy -2

Potion of See Invisible - 5 CP
See Invisible [15] - Potion -70%
Cost: $15 (materials); $150 (retail)
Brewing time: 2 and 1/2 days (5 hours with "Fast Brew")
Default: Alchemy -1

Potion of Super Genius - 36 CP
IQ +6 [120] - Potion -70%
Cost: $108 (materials); $1080 (retail)
Brewing time: 18 days (36 hours with "Fast Brew")
Default: Alchemy -4

Potion of Super Strenght - 330 CP
Super Strenght +10
Strenght +10 [100], Extra Effort +300%, Reduced Fatigue Cost +20%, Cosmic (no FP consumption) +50%, Reduced Duration -70%; Potion -70%
Cost: $990 (materials); $9.900 (retail)
Duration: 1d+1 seconds
Brewing time: 115 days (13 days and 18 hours with "Fast Brew")
Default: Alchemy -33
Old 11-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #9
Alden Loveshade

As I wrote "The Alchemists' Guild" for the latest Pyramid Scheme, and created and ran the Alchemist's Guild for the continuing Strategicon multi-GM GURPS campaign, I can appreciate the work that went into this. As I've going offline very soon, I'll come back and check this.

For now, I do wonder if the below is a typo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Default:[/u] Alchemy -33
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:55 PM   #10
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
As I wrote "The Alchemists' Guild" for the latest Pyramid Scheme, and created and ran the Alchemist's Guild for the continuing Strategicon multi-GM GURPS campaign, I can appreciate the work that went into this. As I've going offline very soon, I'll come back and check this.

For now, I do wonder if the below is a typo:
Haha no, not a typo, that would be exactly it. I did want to do an "extreme case" as an example, and "Potion of Super Strenght +10" seemed like a fine fit for it (Super Strenght +10 equals ST +100 without health levels so...). This would be quite the legendary potion, not the kind of stuff you would find at your neighborhood magic shop. You could make it +7 in skill easier by letting it burn through your FP thou.

Anyway, I'll remove all the tables on metatronics and repost with the alchemy part alone - but if the mods say it's ok (since you are a writer for Gurps), I can send you the entire file over PM

Tags
alchemy, inventions, metatronics