Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #31
demonsbane

Default Re: Bruce Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Bane View Post
How many point character do you think Bruce lee would be?
Since skills are points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Other traits not yet mentioned:
(...)
Philosophy (Taoism)
He had, too, a theoretical, incomplete familiarity with Hindu Vedanta Advaita -and in some ways flawed, hence the references to Krishnamurti's works, westernized instructor and Messiah of the Theosophical Society.

(EDIT: I doubt that qualifies as skill points)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Any idea how many languages he spoke? (...) Didn't he also learn Spanish?
It's possble, although I'm don't remember enough about that.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #32
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

I'd give him more than simply Attractive Appearance. Possibly Handsome or Very Handsome (Impressive) with the Classic Features (Defined Abdominals) Perk.

Given his startlingly low body fat and his early death, his HT might not be that high. Vulnerability to Stavation might be appropriate too.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #33
Delcar

My Black Ops game didn't last long enough for the team to really figure out who the 'Old Master' and his son, the "Young Master" were that taught Manhandling.

:D

Put me in the camp of -some- level of Enemies, even if they are only Rivals.
Delcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #34
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Given his startlingly low body fat and his early death, his HT might not be that high. Vulnerability to Stavation might be appropriate too.
He died from a drug allergy, so some kind of Weakness is more probable.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
He died from a drug allergy, so some kind of Weakness is more probable.
He could've had enough Susceptibility to a specific or broad class of pharmaceuticals to reduce his effective HT to 3 against it, allowing something with a low chance of side effects like heart murmors to kill him outright when he critfails a roll on 14+.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #36
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Well he definitely qualifies for Very Fit, his cardiovascular endurance was impressive. That said, Skinny definitely fits, and I could see a surprisingly average health due to his low body weight.

(in fact, compulsive behavior (exercise) is probably a very appropriate disadvantage for him as well, judging by how much time he dedicated to it. Maybe even a modified variant of Disciplines of Faith to account for the 6 hours (IIRC) of exercise and training he's said to have engaged in every day.)
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #37
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
(in fact, compulsive behavior (exercise) is probably a very appropriate disadvantage for him as well, judging by how much time he dedicated to it. Maybe even a modified variant of Disciplines of Faith to account for the 6 hours (IIRC) of exercise and training he's said to have engaged in every day.)
I'd be more inclined to call it Workaholic [-5]... The only real disadvantage is that it annoys everybody who is being neglected for an otherwise productive activity, unlike other Compulsions which tend to be inherently harmful behaviors in and of themselves.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #38
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I'd be more inclined to call it Workaholic [-5]... The only real disadvantage is that it annoys everybody who is being neglected for an otherwise productive activity
It also gets in the way of adventuring. But I suppose that's covered well enough by workaholic + obsession.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #39
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersonrants View Post
I think you could make a case for Enemies, even with a realistic take on Bruce. Didn't he actually face a number of challenges from traditional practitioners...
As far as I can recall, once he went public with Jun Fan chu'an fa, he did have a standing challenge to defeat anyone in sixty seconds or less. I'm not sure that qualifies as Enemies, though, but there are hints, stories, and rumors.

Quote:
... end up getting injured in a challenge match (this may be part of the legend rather than reality...)?
The public story is that he hurt himself weight training - doing an exercise called a 'good morning' that is very easy to screw up and hurt yourself with, especially if you're using too much weight. Then again, there are rumors and legends that this is just a cover story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviso-Chimp View Post
Dredging up from the recesses of the brain vault... didn't he have a near-crippling back injury, that still caused him problems throughout his life?

If so, could that qualify as "Bad Back", maybe modified?
Nothing I've read or heard through the grapevine suggested he had chronic back problems on the scale of GURPS's Bad Back. From what I understand, there was some concern at the time that he would be permanently crippled, but master Bruce attacked his rehabilitation with the same relentlessness that he attacked everything else and managed to bounce back. I'm not sure how many problems he had from that, but most of his film career post-dated the injury, so it doesn't appear to have slowed him down.

Edit: Further research does seem to suggest he had back pain, and used a stunt double for some of fis more gymnastic moves. Still, I'm not sure it's GURPS Bad Back - YMMV.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #40
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Still, I'm not sure it's GURPS Bad Back - YMMV.
I'd treat it as Mild Chronic Pain with a low frequency of appearance.

Tags
martial arts, npc