Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #31
Fwibos

Default Re: Random GURPS Generators

Wow *click* *click*

I..love this *click*

One more thing, and I hate to nit pick, but when you update it, can you add things like frequency modifiers and power levels for patrons and such?

*click*
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #32
ayinger1

Yeah, several people are often initially confused by the 'relative power' thing.

If you download the windows version, you can click: 'Generate New NPC with Points' -- which is probably more what you (and others) are looking for.

(I can't efficiently do this with my web application server, which is why this feature is only enabled on the downloadable windows version.)
ayinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #33
Mettius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayinger1
If you download the windows version, you can click: 'Generate New NPC with Points' -- which is probably more what you (and others) are looking for.
Link? It must be mine! :)
Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #34
ayinger1

here is the link to the windows version:

http://ayinger.no-ip.info/zip/NPCGen.zip
Old 11-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #35
Mettius

Quote:
here is the link to the windows version:

http://ayinger.no-ip.info/zip/NPCGen.zip
Thanks, I see now there were links above in the thread. I er... had hybrid thread mode one and erm... didn't see it.

User Error.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #36
Fwibos

Quote:
Yeah, several people are often initially confused by the 'relative power' thing.

(I can't efficiently do this with my web application server, which is why this feature is only enabled on the downloadable windows version.)
No worries, mate. I wonder if you could provide an example or two of the premises used to generate the relative power. Right now it just seems obtuse - even with your explanation I'm not sure how a 100 relative power (+50%) can generate a 100-300 martial artist, and power 50 generates a 100-200 point martial artist. Did you set each random template at a range of points? How can a normal human at RP 50 be -6pts and RP40 be 18?
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #37
ayinger1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos
No worries, mate. I wonder if you could provide an example or two of the premises used to generate the relative power. Right now it just seems obtuse - even with your explanation I'm not sure how a 100 relative power (+50%) can generate a 100-300 martial artist, and power 50 generates a 100-200 point martial artist. Did you set each random template at a range of points? How can a normal human at RP 50 be -6pts and RP40 be 18?
The help file explanation should really say 50% more powerful on average, as any NPC generated has all stats, skills etc., generated within a random range defined per NPC type in the data files (links to which can be found at the bottom of the home page at: http://ayinger.no-ip.info/ ).

The goal with relative power is to give the user an attempt at generating a given NPC type at a relative power -- in other words, an approximate point-value range (which is ultimately, of course, *randomly* determined). Essentially, the algorithm applies the 'relative' power modifier to the NPC stats, advantage/disadvantage levels, while also increasing or decreasing the chance of a special or unique item.

Again, if the concept of relative power doesn't work for you, you can always use the "Generate NPC with points" option, available with the downloadable windows program.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #38
twitchew

i have a (possibly) minor request for a future improvement.

would there be a possibility of an export to the character assistant?

would it be possible to include characters for the Action and D Fantasy series or would other categories be pressed into service?

in any case. this is fantastic.
twitchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #39
BigPhut

this npc generator is crazy, i got an orc raidet who knew philosophy, alchemy and was scared of burn victims, still great though.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #40
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhut
this npc generator is crazy, i got an orc raidet who knew philosophy, alchemy and was scared of burn victims, still great though.
Good for inspiration... and laughs. I had an NPC who had an "Allergic to Perfect Teeth" Quirk. O.o

Edit:
Stuff like "Scoffs at the Spleen", "Worships Fruit", "Believes in Dark Chocolate", "Allergic to Elk Hunts" and "Attracted to Amputees". ...well, what can I say, the quirks are wonderfully deranged ^^

One actually "Adored Roleplaying Games" though (Spleen guy), that was kind of cute :P

Last edited by RedMattis; 11-04-2008 at 02:49 PM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
npc, random generator