Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2023, 04:31 AM   #11
Lovewyrm

Default Re: [Dungeon Fantasy] Farmer/peasant as a bargain henchmen concept

Maintenance/repair of bladed weapons, but if they work on a fine weapon, it will be treated like a weapon of regular quality until a qualified blacksmith (or the like) has a go at it again.

Could be used to make the armoury skill cheaper, or just treat it as a feature, or quirk or something cause it's kinda really niche...
How often would weapon maintenance even come up in a game? But it *would* make sense for a peasant to be able to be proficient enough to keep a blade in full working order.
Just perhaps not in a way that suggests fine craftsmanship.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:02 AM   #12
Vikingv

Be sure that peasant rolls a reaction roll (likely at a penalty) when someone suggests he go down into that accursed pit with these strangers.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:26 AM   #13
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Professional Skill (Homesteading) has found repeated use in our group since one GM thought it up several years ago. It covers the "man's work" parts of a rural livelyhood that fall outside an existing skill or basic fundamental tasks that cross over between them. E.g. building a fence from local materials, storing firewood, hanging a door...
Isn't that mostly Carpentry? Though come to think of it Carpentry isn't a bad idea—I just added it along with Sling.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:55 AM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Animal handling still seems way too high. Right now this looks like a stableboy or team handler, not a peasant. Which is a fine concept, but a little narrow. Maybe move those points into an option for specialization?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:13 AM   #15
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
Maintenance/repair of bladed weapons, but if they work on a fine weapon, it will be treated like a weapon of regular quality until a qualified blacksmith (or the like) has a go at it again.

Could be used to make the armoury skill cheaper, or just treat it as a feature, or quirk or something cause it's kinda really niche...
How often would weapon maintenance even come up in a game? But it *would* make sense for a peasant to be able to be proficient enough to keep a blade in full working order.
Just perhaps not in a way that suggests fine craftsmanship.
Feels a bit complicated, maybe I could do something analogous to the "barbaric" property from weapons from Dungeon Denizens: Barbarians? I'll have to think about that more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingv View Post
Be sure that peasant rolls a reaction roll (likely at a penalty) when someone suggests he go down into that accursed pit with these strangers.
Cowardice is an optional disadvantage for a reason but mostly I think this is handled by the rules for hireling loyalty in Dungeon Fantasy 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The Animal handling still seems way too high. Right now this looks like a stableboy or team handler, not a peasant. Which is a fine concept, but a little narrow. Maybe move those points into an option for specialization?
Yeah, the thing is I wanted the Peasant to be competent at multiple Animal Handling specialties, and decided to accomplish this via one high skill that others can default to. Hmmm, I guess Animal Friend 2 plus any three skills boosted by it would mostly accomplish that? I might spend the 4 points that frees up on Area Knowledge—it is possible to get lost in rural areas, and not doing that seems like a logical reason to hire a local peasant to be part of your party.

I might also cut back on points for advantage options from 25 to 20 to make room for more skill options. This like an additional weapon skill at the 2-point level, maybe even make Weather Sense mandatory? IDK.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:20 AM   #16
Michael Thayne

I've updated the template to incorporate many previously-discussed changes. I also changed my mind about Carpentry—removed it because Dungeon Fantasy doesn't really seem to use it.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

You know, I'm really liking this template. Good for angry mobs, hastily armed militia, or that enterprising kid you picked up to get the mules into the dungeon (the city kids are all apprentice thieves, I'm not trusting one of them!).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:40 PM   #18
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Isn't that mostly Carpentry? Though come to think of it Carpentry isn't a bad idea—I just added it along with Sling.
Some if the examples may have given a limited impression. Other task examples could be keeping vermin away, fitting a stove pipe, or clearing a drain.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #19
Michael Thayne

After agonizing over this a bunch, I decided to add Two-Handed Axe/Mace to the skill options, but not Polearm. I seriously considered Polearm due to what I'd read about some historical polearms being essentially weaponized farm implements. However, the Polearm skill is explicitly for weapons that are "at least 2 yards", and while nowadays you do see some awfully long tree-trimming tools, such things seem to be relatively new, perhaps a product of modern lightweight alloys and plastics. In the middle ages—or even the early modern era—people just would've used a shorter tool plus a ladder. Some polearms might look like medieval farm implements with abnormally long handles, but the "abnormally long handle" part is key.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:14 AM   #20
Michael Thayne

P.S.—there might have been farm implements that would qualify as like, a long axe, but I didn't extent Improvised Weapons (Farm Implements) to cover them because I suspect they tended to be pretty sturdy and therefore not count as Cheap.