Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-12-2022, 01:38 PM   #1
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Split negative DR when shouldn't be

Yeah, the title is a bit ambiguous--I have screen shots linked below.

Okay, so, applying a minotaur template causes the protection window to do this. Basically, it shows DR X/X-2 because the Skull DR is set to Skin and not Skull.

However, changing the location to Skull does this. So, how do I get to edit the "DR Bonus" field? I can highlight it, but not edit it.

Additionally, the Skull field is wrong in both, as it's not 6/6-2, it's just 6 (2 for basic Skull, +2 for Minotaur DR, +2 for Minotaur Skull DR).
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Split negative DR when shouldn't be

Okay....

(You don't tell me which Minotaur, so I'm assuming Dungeon Fantasy.)

It looks like the Minotaur's "Minotaur Skull Damage Resistance" isn't being initialized with a modifier that works like the new system should want it to. I'll have to try to find some time to go through those files and update what needs updating to reflect the modern method of using location DR.

Anyway, I can tell you how to work around this for now.

First, we have to unlock the template, so we'll convert it to a parent/child system to get around that. (If you already have unlocked templates, you can skip this step, the rest works the same regardless.) Right click on your Minotaur (Dungeon Fantasy) template trait. Then pick Convert to Parent/Child from the menu. You'll now have a collection of children under a parent item, but in the same structure as the previous components, so it'll look much the same, but nothing will be locked. (There's no way to go *back* to the components, so this is a one-way conversion.

Now click on the Minotaur Skull Damage Resistance trait, and click on the Modifiers button to open the Modifiers dialog.

Double click on the Partial: Skull modifier to open the Edit Modifiers dialog.

Now, we'll want to change the gives() to fix it to work the way it should nowadays, by telling the owning item that it's DR is just meant to apply to the Skull now, not the Skin.

Double click into the Values column for the gives tag.

Delete everything there. Copy and paste the text from this line instead:

Code:
=skull+nobase to owner::location$
Click OK on each dialog all the way out. DR should now be fixed.

ETA: I've updated the Minotaur Skull Damage Resistance advantage so that the initmods() includes the corrected gives(). That'll be in the next data update.

Last edited by Armin; 11-12-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Split negative DR when shouldn't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
(You don't tell me which Minotaur, so I'm assuming Dungeon Fantasy.)
I apologize. You are correct, it is the DF Minotaur.

Thank you for the fix/workaround.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote