Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2018, 03:26 AM   #21
Steamwitch

Default Re: New to GURPS, Making sense of suplements for Zombie Apocalypse.

Thanks all for the help. Looks like my book list is as follows:
Basic 2 books
Zombies
High tech
After the End 1/2
Martial Arts
And Tactical shooting.

These will give me my zombies, infection rules, fatigue, scavageing, guns, melee, improvised weapons and armour, and the realistic feel for guns.

@safisher,
Sounds like the game Im looking to play! I will have to give a read for a few of the other books.

Are there Horror check rules at all? (Fear or sickness for discovering a hoard of zombies feasting in the dark?)
Steamwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:01 AM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwitch View Post
Are there Horror check rules at all? (Fear or sickness for discovering a hoard of zombies feasting in the dark?)
Basic pg 360 pretty well covers it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #23
Steamwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Basic pg 360 pretty well covers it.
I will give it a look thanks so much!

Questiin: Some mentiond that there were beneficial rules in action2 are there any that would stand out?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 AM   #24
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Questiin: Some mentiond that there were beneficial rules in action2 are there any that would stand out?
To name the best of the best: B.A.D. (Basic Abstract Difficulty) on pg 4, Complimentary Skill Rolls and Teamwork on pg 5, getting things together on pgs 6-10, Tricks of The Trade pgs 11-30, basically the entirety of chapters 1-6...
Old 08-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #25
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
To name the best of the best: B.A.D. (Basic Abstract Difficulty) on pg 4, Complimentary Skill Rolls and Teamwork on pg 5, getting things together on pgs 6-10, Tricks of The Trade pgs 11-30, basically the entirety of chapters 1-6...

You left out the chase rules. Its a very useful general book for almost everything except hack and slash.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You left out the chase rules. Its a very useful general book for almost everything except hack and slash.
I've never used the Chase Rules... but yes, they are good. And I covered it: "the entirety of chapters 1-6". There are only 6 chapters... ;)

For me, the whole book is great. For my DF-Style games, a lot goes unused. For my Fallout games? I've used everything except the Chase Rules.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:40 AM   #27
Steamwitch

Eould there be any content in Horror that may help me out is that more for ghosts? I think i have all the sipplements i will need im just makeing sure im not missing anything.

As my group and I are uninitiated in GURPS is there anything extra i may need to start? I'm a bit skeptical i will only need 3d6 on hand for example.

Last edited by Steamwitch; 08-02-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:57 AM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
Eould there be any content in Horror that may help me out is that more for ghosts? I think i have all the sipplements i will need im just makeing sure im not missing anything.

As my group and I are uninitiated in GURPS is there anything extra i may need to start? I'm a bit skeptical i will only need 3d6 on hand for example.
GURPS Horror is a great book and covers pretty much the entire horror genre.
However Zombies has what you need out of it I think. Besides various monsters in Horror it gives advice on running horror games.\
Every GURPS book on W23 has a free preview PDF which includes the table of contents and that plus the descriptive paragraph should give you a good idea whats in it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #29
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

GURPS Horror has all the stuff you need for all kinds of horror, from in-your-face splatter and gritty survival horror, through psychological and supernatural ("traditional") horror, to cosmic ("Lovecraftian") horror, with stops along the way to recognize sub-styles like Gothic horror and J-horror, and notes on horror-tinged humor and existential ennui. It includes zombies, yes, but also vampires, werewolves, evil spirits, serial killers, psycho killers, alien abductors, ghosts, witches, demons, and even evil clowns.

GURPS Zombies has all the stuff you need for all kinds of zombies. This includes the zombies found in horror: rampaging brain-eaters, cursed slaves of houngans, vengeful walking corpses, and so on. But it also encompasses the zombies of fantasy (which are "just another monster" or even useful servants), post-apocalypse (which might also be "just another monster" along with mutants and out-of-control cyborg assassins), science fiction (which can be a lot like either of the previous), and more.

Either will let you do survival horror with zombies. Get Horror if you also want to explore horror other than survival horror and foes other than zombies. Get Zombies if you want ultra-detailed rules for survival horror and zombies. Horror is "all the horror" and Zombies is "all the zombies." You'll only need both if you desire generalized horror with lots of monsters, but want survival and zombies to be double-underlined relative to everything else.

If you choose Zombies, I'd also recommend GURPS Zombies: Day One. It provides several campaign frames you can borrow from when building your own. Perhaps more important, it serves as a checklist of things you need to think about.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #30
bert

GURPS Horror is one of the best rpg supplements ever written, for any system. Period. It is a joy to read, and full of material. As a fan of horror roleplaying, I wouldnt want to live without that book!

GURPS Zombies is a supplement I was sceptical to at first, but I found the book full of useful stuff as well as entertaining. I think it is more useful for post-apocalyptic and zombie apocalypse stuff than outright horror - but there is no lack of horrific (terrific!) stuff in there!

In short, I love both books.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introductions to gurps, zombies