Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-19-2021, 12:08 AM   #471
Hide

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
(...) Why would they go to the trouble of arresting me and releasing me if they suspected I was a Dreadstormer? (...)
To find the rest of us, totally worth it. Plus, they are still looking for "the" Dread-Stormer and you are a good lead IMO.

Quote:
The way I see it we either have to roll with it (my preference is blowing it up) (...)
I doubt we are going to have the time to blow that base ATM. Unless there is a self-destruct button of sorts, it is more likely to turn into our death-trap. But we can take over the ship, and eventually deal with the depot. I believe it does not have to be prior to this re-supply.

Quote:
The way I see it there's maybe three problems with that plan:

1) I work at this time of day, and eventually Thibi would notice. This is a short meeting, so no problems there.
Maybe you could have her wait in the bathroom? (rhetorical question) I don’t think this is shorter than breaking into the armoury.

Quote:
2) I cased the armory during my sleep shift. Conditions could (?) be different.
I see, that's a good point, I wonder if there’s a small window in which we both should be sleeping.

(Could you tell us Erick?)

Quote:
3) I can turn basically invisible and well, you can't.
I am stealthy (says Pacifica as she demonstrates her ability) , plus your ability should cover me as well… I guess.

Displacement (Pacifica making a demonstration)
3d6 <= 14
2 + 2 + 2 = 6 ... success

(As per Psionic Powers 36, you can cover Pacifica within your 2-yard radius, unless you want Hua to go solo).

Quote:
I'll see if there are radios and gloves there (...)
Understood, let’s aim for the best.

Quote:
The pin-code is ####, but I'm pretty sure it's a security guard's pin.
Thank you.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #472
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day will hang around as long as he can to see if the NCO re-emerges, but if he doesn't come out shortly he'll just return to Pothi.
The NCO returns to the stardrive floor fairly soon. He scowls frequently, and seems to be deep in thought.

Quote:
Strategy (Naval) at default
The supply depot is probably two jumps away from any major jakorbi world, and one jump "behind" Jakorbi space. One or two jumps after the depot, they should be positioned to intercept supply ships to the main jakorbi fleet before jumping in join in a major fleet engagement.

The supply depot is not likely to be a proper base, more likely just a stash of supplies. There is a 40% of meeting another ship there, and a 15% chance the other ship is already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I see, that's a good point, I wonder if there’s a small window in which we both should be sleeping.

The schedule is 8 hours of sleep, 2 hours of morning, 8 hours work, six hours off. During Pacifica's sleep, Hua will have 2 hours of morning and six hours of work. During Hua's sleep, Pacifica has 2 hours of work and six hours off. There is an moment when they both have an excuse to be in bed, but its literally the start of Pacifica's sleep and the end of Hua's.

Quote:
The pin-code is ####, but I'm pretty sure it's a security guard's pin.

correct, the pin is for security.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #473
TGLS

Quote:
Maybe you could have her wait in the bathroom? (rhetorical question) I don’t think this is shorter than breaking into the armoury.
I figure an hour is a good estimate for how long it will take to raid both armories. This has been, what, X minutes since I left Thibi to do an odd job and then this meeting? The odd job took Y minutes, I don't think I can just leave for an eighth of my shift and expect to get away with it.

Quote:
I am stealthy (says Pacifica as she demonstrates her ability) , plus your ability should cover me as well… I guess.
I'd be less hesitant if we could work in parallel (even it was you pick locks and I short the guns). But as it stands it seems like risking a second Dreadstormer for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The supply depot is probably two jumps away from any major jakorbi world, and one jump "behind" Jakorbi space. One or two jumps after the depot, they should be positioned to intercept supply ships to the main jakorbi fleet before jumping in join in a major fleet engagement.
How long does a jump take?

Last edited by TGLS; 02-19-2021 at 01:54 PM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #474
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
How long does a jump take?

three to six days, averaging about 4.5

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #475
Hide

Quote:
(...) I don't think I can just leave for an eighth of my shift and expect to get away with it.
I understand you scouted the place just once, right?
In these situations, you need someone doing watch.

Quote:
I'd be less hesitant if we could work in parallel (even it was you pick locks and I short the guns). But as it stands it seems like risking a second Dreadstormer for no reason.
If we do the same thing at the same time, the both of us will be distracted.
Ultimately, the two of us could deliver a bigger package.

(Erick, where are the weapons stored? I checked the maps but I could not tell their location...)

(If the armouries are separated) I would only raid a single location. Because surely, if you burn one place, it will draw attention ASAP; you don’t have to be a genius to deduce the other location will be compromised. So, this cuts the operation to 30 minutes.

My buddy isn't brainwashed, so I cannot leave her. As long as you work during my shift's sleep hours, I will be OK.

You have the final say, I trust in your skill.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #476
TGLS

Quote:
(Erick, where are the weapons stored? I checked the maps but I could not tell their location...)
Floor 13, section C, the two bathrooms between the large colored areas (reactor and generator?)
Quote:
I would only raid a single location. Because surely, if you burn one place, it will draw attention ASAP; you don’t have to be a genius to deduce the other location will be compromised. So, this cuts the operation to 30 minutes.

I'm just frying the collimators on all the guns; provided no mess ups with the alarm or concealing the the stolen guns, they'll see nothing at all.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #477
Hide

Quote:
Floor 13, section C, the two bathrooms between the large colored areas (reactor and generator?)
Thanks TGLS; I see, so it is 13C then.

Quote:
I'm just frying the collimators on all the guns; provided no mess ups with the alarm or concealing the the stolen guns, they'll see nothing at all.
Alright then. How many weapons will you fry? Is it going to be noticeable?

Last edited by Hide; 02-19-2021 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #478
TGLS

Quote:
Alright then. How many weapons will you fry? Is it going to be noticeable?
There's too many for them to check. If they notice that a gun is missing, they might detect the sabotage, but then we'd have bigger fish to fry. Any ideas on how to make the rack look full?

Last edited by TGLS; 02-19-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #479
Hide

Quote:
There's too many for them to check. If they notice that a gun is missing, they might detect the sabotage, but then we'd have bigger fish to fry. Any ideas on how to make the rack look full?
It depends on the layout of the storage, considering the ship’s plans, the internal procedures and the information you can provide me about the armoury, we could foresee the racks/stands they are most likely to inventory or check…

And so, Pacifica listens to Hua’s description of the armoury and interprets it using her soldier skill:

Pacifica (Soldier)
3d6 <= 14
5 + 2 + 6 = 13 ... success

Then, Pacifica comes up with the most likely way personnel will be checking the guns, to assess (per elimination) the more adequate guns (or gun sections) for frying and fetching:

Pacifica (Management)
3d6 <= 14
5 + 1 + 3 = 9 ... success

I wonder if Hua’s insight provides me with an advantage here.

... awaiting input.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #480
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
It depends on the layout of the storage, considering the ship’s plans, the internal procedures and the information you can provide me about the armoury, we could foresee the racks/stands they are most likely to inventory or check…

This is something dreadstormer training covers, as a lot of plots center around those armories. Due to the history of this ship, the most likely layout is visible plastic racks the guns rest on at an 75 degree incline to vertical. Each rack half the height of the chamber, and five feet long. The guns are uncovered, relying on the lock and weather proofing of the 10 by 10 room they are in. There are two "Aisles" in the room, with four racks on each side of each Aisle.