Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
trooper6

Default Re: [MA] Question about Styles and requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTreader
I was going with the absense of power blow in fencing being a mistake until Kromm basically chimed in and did not claim it to be a mistake. Therefore your above statement seems to answer it. If you want that cinematic skill, you must learn another style or take a perk to get power blow.
And learning another Style is tricky. Because if your Fencer is an Weapon Master (Rapier), then the only way he can learn Power Blow is by taking a Style that includes Power Blow and Rapier...and there is only one style other than the Fencing styles that even mentions Rapier...that is the 12 pt. Masters of Defense...and that mentions Rapier as an optional weapon skill along with any other weapon. Masters of Defense is hefty. And may not make sense for the character concept. So yeah...

At the moment, if I'm going to house rule it...I think I'm going to say that the Style Perk Overrides skill prerequisites for skills that are central to the style. The upside, you can have Flying Leap. The Downside...you don't have Power Blow. It is a bit more obvious with Hypnotic Hands. You can give them the stun...but without Hypnotism you can't induce any suggestions.

If you wanted that prereq skill and it was cinematic, I'd call the Unusual Training Perk a Style Perk. That's where I'm leaning if/when I run a Swashbuckling game again (I somehow always seem to run Swashbuckling games).
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #22
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: [MA] Question about Styles and requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Detect (Oxymoron) . . .
... fails. "Get real" did not refer to verisimilute with the RW, but rather get real with what makes sense within the context of rules.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flying leap, martial arts, rapier