Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: [DF] Backstab clarifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
cool mention, wasn't aware that Action/MH/ATE had added new option to the DF technique

so this is sort of like a free option for avoiding the "run-around attack" prevention of same-second backstabs?
I'm not certain where it originated - I never saw the option until I got the .pdf of Delvers to Grow, a book produced under Douglas Cole's Nordlond license for Powered by GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. The way it works, if you break all foes' lines of sight (say by ducking behind a corner) and successfully make your Backstab roll (at net -5), you basically vanish from play for however long you'd like. Once you opt to attack somebody, you can reappear anywhere you could have reached (moving at full Move) during the time you were vanished, but if getting there would have required "Dungeon Parkour" (tic-tacs to climb walls, jumps to cross chasms, etc), you must succeed at the relevant rolls. There's no guidance as to what happens if you fail one of the rolls - I'd be inclined to say you screw up and break stealth at the point you failed, and it happens now, even if technically it should have happened a turn or two ago. A more lenient GM might require you to set a new starting point for next round, based on how far you could have gotten after failing whatever check, let you change targets to attack someone easier to reach this round, or similar.

DtG doesn't appear to have an "Under the Hood" section, so my guess as to how Vanishing Act [8] was built is Unique Technique (Vanish) [1]; Vanish (Hard Technique, defaults to Stealth-5, buys off the basic penalty to use Backstab) at Stealth+0 [6]; and Extra Option (Can use Vanish during combat - treat as using Backstab when the victim of an ambush) [1]. The new movement rules are necessary because during combat the character's location is markedly less abstract (it is known down to the hex the character occupies).
Old 07-07-2021, 08:38 PM   #12
Balor Patch

Default Re: [DF] Backstab clarifications

Backstabber DF11:35 has the under the hood stuff.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstab, dungeon fantasy