Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #11
LokRobster

Default Re: Are gnomes made from lead?

Perhaps “Ugly bags of mostly water”? 150lbs is 20 gallons... but I can’t visualize volume in a humanoid shape...

I like the breakdown of the DFRPG stats that make them heavier for their height.

And thinking of dwarves more like cubes is a good comparison. For gnomes, or other small-thin build critters, it is more difficult to picture the extra weight.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:56 AM   #12
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
And thinking of dwarves more like cubes is a good comparison. For gnomes, or other small-thin build critters, it is more difficult to picture the extra weight.
Apparently gnomes aren't thin-built in DFRPG.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #13
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Apparently gnomes aren't thin-built in DFRPG.
I was thinking particularly of the gnomes in Nordvorn, the Nordlandr Folk’s art. But yeah, the standard gnome links directly to the Adventurer’s race entry with a few tweaks, but not physical changes.

On page 7, for Nordvorn-style halflings, it has the Neveri Halflings as 1-2” taller and 5-10lbs lighter. (The same page has optional rules to lower weight (and DR) with SM reductions, something my players asked for.)

2” and 10lbs may not scales these little guys into human-like proportions, but hey magic.

The other good idea from Nordlandr Folk is the dwarve’s close affiliation to stone, i.e. stone-like skin texture and color. Need Nordic twist on the classic dwarf.

Last edited by LokRobster; 09-06-2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Typo wackiness
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:39 AM   #14
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
The other good idea from Nordlandr Folk is the dwarve’s close affiliation to stone, i.e. stone-like skin texture and color. Need Nordic twist on the classic dwarf.
Classic Nordic dverge are made from carrion maggots in the corpse of the ur-giant Ymer. There are four of them that hold up the sky.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #15
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
But wait, there's more! A dwarf's torso is heavier than a human's because of larger heart and lungs (FP+3), an overdeveloped liver (Resistant to Poison 6), and significant thicker fat and muscle (Tough Skin 1 and Lifting ST 2)
Great rationale. Reminds me of a description of a centaur's dual set of lungs where the horse lungs act as a supercharger for the human lungs.

Quote:
Is this realistic? I have no idea! But the takeaway message is that gnomes and dwarves aren't just scaled-down humans.
Realistic enough in a fantasy setting. Cool trumps absolute realism.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #16
Prince Charon

Quote:
Gnomes and dwarves aren't just scaled-down humans! They're as big as extra-stocky humans above the waist, and have shorter but much thicker legs below.

For humans, legs count for 40-50% of height. Thus, humans who "have heights between 4'10" and 6'11"" are 2'10" to 3'6" torso and 2' to 3'5" leg. For gnomes and dwarves, legs count for 15-25% of height. Thus, gnomes and dwarves who are "between 3'3" and 4'8" tall" are 2'9" to 3'6" torso, and 6" to 1'2" leg.
Um, six inch long legs that are thicker than those of a human? I'm having difficulty imagining that, and the body mechanics seem bizarre.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #17
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Um, six inch long legs that are thicker than those of a human? I'm having difficulty imagining that, and the body mechanics seem bizarre.
Six inches is probably too short for them to still have functioning knees on human-thickness legs, so that might get a bit silly. Especially if they try to run, or kick anything.

The basic idea of 'legs are proportionally shorter' seems to hold true with most fantasy artwork of dwarves and gnomes, but at a glance the ratios I'm seeing are more like 25%-40%, rather than 15%-25%. I suppose 25% is still a valid overlap there, though.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #18
Anthony

There were old character sheets for 3e that had character portraits of various races on them. Are those online anywhere?
Old 09-12-2020, 10:41 PM   #19
Darkclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There were old character sheets for 3e that had character portraits of various races on them. Are those online anywhere?
Right over here, I believe.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:04 PM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkclaw View Post
Right over here, I believe.
Hm. I presume G23 and G24 are halflings, G33 and G34 are dwarfs, might not be a specific gnome unless G42/G43 (in which case gnomes aren't made of lead, but at least some are enormously fat).

G33 and G34 would easily be heavier than G11

Tags
gnomes