Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
Highland_Piper

Default DF Martial Artist Super Jump, Flying Leaps

I'm running a very Wuxia style Dungeon Fantasy campaign. Now I'm getting confused by all the rules, equations, and stuff. Please don't judge I'm Dyslexic and I have Dyscalculia so sometimes understanding a GURPS rule right away is next to impossible for me.

So I will tell you what I've been doing and what I'm confused with and I hope someone can explain it simply to me.

So the Martial Artist has

ST 13; DX 16; HP 13; Basic Move 8, Basic Speed 7

Chi Mastery Super Jump 1
Flying Leap Lvl: 11 IQ+1
Jump Kick (Karate) Lvl: 17
Karate Lvl: 20 DX+4

So his Super Jump allows Broad Jump 26 Ft, High Jump 76 in. or HALF that if they do not spend 2 turns concentrating for the jump. Or they can double the distance with a running jump (with extra turns for movement).

Question 1: I don't understand quite how to figure out how many turns it takes from the jump to the target. The rules state that

Quote:
Your Move while jumping is the greater of your normal ground Move and 1/5 your maximum long jump distance (thus, your maximum jump never takes more than five seconds). B89
Okay I hate word problems, with my two disabilities you can imaging my confusion. I figured it to be a Move of 8 as 1/5 the maximum long jump is 26/0.2=5.2 and as the Basic Move of 8 is the greater of the two then that is what I chose.

So does this meant they can move 8 hexes per turn during the jump?

Question 2: Is slam the only type of combat move to be used with Super Jump?

Question 3: Unlike Flying Leap, Super Jump allows for a no combat penalty slam attack and the ability to survive falls better

Question 4: Is this considered a Move and Attack?

Now for Flying Leap

According to MA129 a Flying leap is

Quote:
A jump that merely doubles jumping distance – and ST, for a Drop Kick, Flying Jump Kick, etc. – is at +5 to skill.
Now according to the text that is for an aggressive Flying Leap where a "Lightened Body" flying leap you can double or triple the distance but you use only an unmodified move and ST for the damage results. You also get a +5 to skill (these are only used to negate penalties not to increase the skills)

Question 5: Did I get my understanding of Flying Leap right? It took me a while to decipher it. So for the first type of Flying Leap his ST would be 26

Question 6: It mentions the penalty for instant use is -10. Where does the penalty come from? How long must they concentrate to use it normally? Do you have the Book and Page number so I can reference it.

Question 7: would the movement for the Flying Leap be the same for Super Jump 1?

Question 8: Must be a Committed or All-Out Attack?

Anything I missed or you want to add?

Thanks for any help
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page

Last edited by Highland_Piper; 02-12-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: DF Martial Artist Super Jump, Flying Leaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland_Piper View Post

So his Super Jump allows Broad Jump 26 Ft, High Jump 76 in. or HALF that if they do not spend 2 turns concentrating for the jump. Or they can double the distance with a running jump (with extra turns for movement).

Question 1: I don't understand quite how to figure out how many turns it takes from the jump to the target. The rules state that

Okay I hate word problems, with my two disabilities you can imaging my confusion. I figured it to be a Move of 8 as 1/5 the maximum long jump is 26/0.2=5.2 and as the Basic Move of 8 is the greater of the two then that is what I chose.

So does this meant they can move 8 hexes per turn during the jump?
Yes, it means that. Any Jump under 8 hexes take this character 1 turn to complete.

Quote:
Question 2: Is slam the only type of combat move to be used with Super Jump?
No, you can use it as part of any move and attack.
Quote:
Question 3: Unlike Flying Leap, Super Jump allows for a no combat penalty slam attack and the ability to survive falls better
I think you have that reversed... and I'm not clear on what you're asking.
Quote:
Question 4: Is this considered a Move and Attack?
I assume you mean a leaping slam. Yes it is.
Quote:
Now for Flying Leap

According to MA129 a Flying leap is

Now according to the text that is for an aggressive Flying Leap where a "Lightened Body" flying leap you can double or triple the distance but you use only an unmodified move and ST for the damage results. You also get a +5 to skill (these are only used to negate penalties not to increase the skills)

Question 5: Did I get my understanding of Flying Leap right? It took me a while to decipher it. So for the first type of Flying Leap his ST would be 26
If by "First type" you mean getting a +5 bunus to double (rather than triple) effective ST and Jumping Distance, then yes, you are correct.
Quote:
Question 6: It mentions the penalty for instant use is -10. Where does the penalty come from? How long must they concentrate to use it normally? Do you have the Book and Page number so I can reference it.
There are a handful of Esoteric combat skills that take 32 seconds of concentration to accomplish with no penalty. Breaking Blow, Flying Leap, Power Blow and Zen Archery. The amount of time it takes to reduce the penalty is listed with each of them. Flying Leap is in the Basic Set on page 196
Quote:
Question 7: would the movement for the Flying Leap be the same for Super Jump 1?
Yup
Quote:
Question 8: Must be a Committed or All-Out Attack?
I think a Move and Attack is fine.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 AM   #3
Highland_Piper

Question 3: There are no penalties to your super jump if you do it instantaneously, only that you can only jump at half your distance, where as Flying leap is -10 to the skill roll. With Flying Leap if you fall from your maximum jumping height you still take damage as usual. Super Jump allows you to fall from your maximum height with no damage or +5 yards with a successful acrobatics roll. Also with Flying Leap you still cap out at level 9 for the Move and Attack where you don't with Super Jump.

Question 9: Flying leap says that if you do the slow jump you still move 2x to 3x your jump however you use only your normal jumping distance to work out your Move in a slam. My question is if you have Super Jump could you consider that your "Normal jumping Distance"?

Question 10: Flying leap only mentions using it with drop kicks, jump kicks, etc. Could you use it with a flying elbow or flying punch? Can Rapid Strike or Multiple attacks be used with it?
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page

Last edited by Highland_Piper; 02-13-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added more questions
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Question 3: There are no penalties to your super jump if you do it instantaneously, only that you can only jump at half your distance, where as Flying leap is -10 to the skill roll. With Flying Leap if you fall from your maximum jumping height you still take damage as usual. Super Jump allows you to fall from your maximum height with no damage or +5 yards with a successful acrobatics roll.
Correct.

Quote:
Also with Flying Leap you still cap out at level 9 for the Move and Attack where you don't with Super Jump.
No Slam caps out at 9, no matter how you extend its range. Slams are a special case of Move & Attack with special rules.

Quote:
Question 9: Flying leap says that if you do the slow jump you still move 2x to 3x your jump however you use only your normal jumping distance to work out your Move in a slam. My question is if you have Super Jump could you consider that your "Normal jumping Distance"?
I would, because that's a trait you bought separately from Flying Leap. Basically what they're saying here is that you can trade off Flying Leap Move (which equates to damage in a Slam-type-attack) for better maximum distance and vice-versa.

Quote:
Question 10: Flying leap only mentions using it with drop kicks, jump kicks, etc. Could you use it with a flying elbow or flying punch?
I'd use the Flying Lunge rules for that (4e MA p 83).

Quote:
Can Rapid Strike or Multiple attacks be used with it?
Sure, but they all take the penalties, if any.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
No Slam caps out at 9, no matter how you extend its range. Slams are a special case of Move & Attack with special rules.
Slams do not cap at skill 9 when you Move and Attack, nor do they suffer the -4 to hit. See Basic p.371
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Slams do not cap at skill 9 when you Move and Attack, nor do they suffer the -4 to hit. See Basic p.371
So, you agree with what I said, then? Or were you, perhaps, presuming that I omitted a comma after the word No?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
So, you agree with what I said, then?
Err, maybe you have a typo? You say "No Slam caps at 9" but it doesnt. You mention it is a move and attack with special rules, which it is, but it looks like you misstated the special rule?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Err, maybe you have a typo? You say "No Slam caps at 9" but it doesnt. You mention it is a move and attack with special rules, which it is, but it looks like you misstated the special rule?
"No Slam caps at 9," without a comma between No and Slam means, "Slams do not ever cap at 9, regardless of the multiple circumstances proposed in the text I quoted," in this context.

Tags
flying leap, super jump