Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2022, 01:51 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Slingshot: Why not ST-based damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Which is wrong in the case of bows (there's optional rules for basing damage on bow ST) .
I do not believe those rules are optional. All bows and crossbows should be given a ST which should not be less than the MinST listed.

If you don't have that MinST you can't draw the bow/crossbow fully but you might be able to use it for partial damage from your partial pull. The GM should probably penalize all DX rolls made while attempting to carry a half-cocked crossbow and impose consequences for failure.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #12
Refplace

I think the best point made above was that sling shots are mass produced toys.
Bows have a draw strength which is the effective ST of the bow in question. You need to have the right draw length to be accurate with a bow, if you pull it to different spots each shot (likely when using a bow that requires more ST than you have). You could use different materials or amount to make a slingshot require more or less ST but it would be an individual thing.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

There are slingshots for hunting that are made with crazy high tensile elastic and sturdy frames. I personally used thrust+1 for one of my players. It worked for 50+ sessions just fine.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:42 AM   #14
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think the best point made above was that sling shots are mass produced toys.
There are custom-made slingshots which are much more effective. Also, don't forget that many Spearguns use the same basic technology as slingshots.

One possibility for high-powered slingshots with longer draw lengths is to base them on crossbows, with an inflexible "tiller" and springs or elastic bands providing the energy.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #15
smin32

Does your opinion mean that bow damage should follow a set value?
Checking Pyramid #3/33, it looks like it has a specified amount of damage just like a gun.
Given the limitations of the bow's elasticity, does that mean that even with ST based damage, its max power must be equal to the bow's min ST?
smin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:24 PM   #16
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smin32 View Post
Does your opinion mean that bow damage should follow a set value?
Checking Pyramid #3/33, it looks like it has a specified amount of damage just like a gun.
Given the limitations of the bow's elasticity, does that mean that even with ST based damage, its max power must be equal to the bow's min ST?
Bows do have a set damage value.

This is from Basic page 270:

"Crossbows and ST: Bows, crossbows, and prodds have their own ST value. Use this instead of your ST to determine range and damage. You must specify the ST of such a weapon when you buy it. You can always use a weapon that is weaker than you. You can use a stronger crossbow or prodd; it does more damage but take longer to cock (see Shots, above). You cannot use a stronger bow."
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:16 AM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
There are custom-made slingshots which are much more effective. Also, don't forget that many Spearguns use the same basic technology as slingshots.

One possibility for high-powered slingshots with longer draw lengths is to base them on crossbows, with an inflexible "tiller" and springs or elastic bands providing the energy.
Sure and if you can get one it should have a higher ST. However where bows are rated in draw strength slingshots are given much less detail. I believe this is because bows are primarily used for hunting while slingshots are primarily toys.
So Basic and the commercial industry simplifies slongshots.
You want a stronger slingshot? Pay more for custom design, this could be higher tensile ST materials or the design itself - including thicker materials.

Another difference is a slingshot can effectively be used at different ST simply by how far its pulled back. This wrecks the ACC at the tradeoff of increased damage for a stronger person while letting a weaker on still use it.
So where bows have a rated ST value with damage based on it, sling shots are more versatile and max damage should be based on Min ST like most muscle powered weapons. Want a stronger one? No problem, its just probably harder to find and more expensive. But I dont feel should match a bow due to the decreased draw length, materials, and width.
By width I mean that the bow benefits from the string anchor points being farther apart compared to the narrower anchors in a crossbow or slingshot. Crossbows make up for it somewhat with pulleys (compound) or special materials - including support for the anchor points.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #18
DanHoward

Quote:
Another difference is a slingshot can effectively be used at different ST simply by how far its pulled back.
Bows are no different. They don't have to be pulled back to full draw. A good example was the hype about Lars Andersen a few years ago. He accomplished many of his trick shots by employing an underpowered bow and not using a full draw.

https://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=100712
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=119813

Last edited by DanHoward; 01-17-2022 at 04:24 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #19
Anthony

Quote:
Another difference is a slingshot can effectively be used at different ST simply by how far its pulled back.
No, it can be ineffectively used at different ST; there is a dramatic loss in energy for reducing draw force (the same thing applies to bows).
Old 01-17-2022, 05:33 PM   #20
David Johansen

Don't worry about the damage! Just buy the Hit Location technique up to 9. You'll put their eye out! That's what slingshots are all about.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote