Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
ranebowbuttmonkey

Default Stupid Question about Wandering Monster

Hello all,

I have a relatively dumb question about this card (my opinion). I just started playing, and my friends (specifically the one who brought the game into our group) have been using this card pretty frequently...however they use it by dropping it in the middle of my combats with another monster from their hand (usually 18 or so level) to prevent me from winning or having me die etc. When it was first used on me, I read the card, and it says (which you all probably know, but here it is anyway)

"Play this card, with a Monster from your hand, when someone (including you!) is in combat. Your monster joins the one already fighting - add their Levels. If the character(s) must flee, resolve the Run Away attempts separately, in the order the victim chooses. "

When I read this card, because well...I happen to think that you should do what the card specifically says...I believe that the person dropping it has to BE IN COMBAT with you for it to be used. Last night, two friends EACH dropped this card, with separate monsters, from their hands and added to the monster I was already fighting...by myself...

I brought this to their attention, and was told (by the person who read the rulebook) 'Yea, you can use it at anytime, I don't have to be in combat'

I just sighed, went 'ok...', and ended up losing the game (I would have won that turn if they didn't drop their monsters)

So my question is...are they wrong? Or can you drop this card anytime?
ranebowbuttmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
resilience

Default Re: Stupid Question about Wandering Monster

Wandering monster can be played during ANY combat.
Provided that player who plays the wandering monster has a monster in his hand to join the battle.

Usually players play this card (with another battle) to prevent another player from winning.

or

Players play this with the monster they are facing to gain more lvls and treasure if they are confident of winning.
resilience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
homi

Take out the "including you!" part and here's what it says:

Play this card, with a Monster from your hand, when someone is in combat.

The fact that they put the "including you" part within parenthesis indicates that it's meant to clarify that you can be that someone, but you don't have to be. Really there's no argument here. If the card was meant to do what you're wishing was true they've could just printed it as:

Play this card, with a Monster from your hand, when you're in combat.
homi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
ranebowbuttmonkey

Ok. That does clarify the text of the card. I see how I interpreted it differently. They probably could have chosen better words to put in the parenthesis to get their point across though lol. (ie 'This can include you')
ranebowbuttmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wandering monster