Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-18-2023, 12:18 PM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: Talent/Spell of the Week: Mechanician

What's the cost and weight for the Mechanician's toolkit that lets them setup hidden doors? And do they require Locksmith also to install the locks?

Last edited by hcobb; 05-18-2023 at 02:21 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:31 PM   #22
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Other than a crossbow or switchblade, what might these be?
A spike that shoots from a staff or mace, a hidden dagger mechanism that duplicates QUICK DRAW, a sha-ken launcher, and likely many more devious creations.

Quote:
I don’t think night-vision goggles are so much a mechanical tool, but an electronic one. Or magical. Binoculars and telescopes should be possible, though, assuming you have access to lenses and mirrors.
Or it could rely on finely crafted lenses made from some unique crystal native to Cidri. The point is that I like the idea of having rules that would allow characters to discover and design any number of non-magical devices... rules that encourage players to use their imagination.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:55 PM   #23
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
A spike that shoots from a staff or mace, a hidden dagger mechanism that duplicates QUICK DRAW, a sha-ken launcher, and likely many more devious creations.
Sounds cool, but I'd want gadgets to be plausible. The sha-ken launcher sounds like a perfectly plausible trap, but not a weapon suitable for melees. How would you pack enough spring power inside a mace to make anything launched from it move fast enough to do any damage?
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:01 PM   #24
TippetsTX

Quote:
Sounds cool, but I'd want gadgets to be plausible. The sha-ken launcher sounds like a perfectly plausible trap, but not a weapon suitable for melees. How would you pack enough spring power inside a mace to make anything launched from it move fast enough to do any damage?
'Plausible' depends on how sophisticated you think their understanding of mechanical technology is. The description of the Mechanician Guild in ITL mentions their obsession with artifacts which means they should be aware (at the higher levels, at least) of various ahistorical concepts. For me, then, and on my version of Cidri, it is not unreasonable to assume that the practitioners of these talents would have more advanced capabilities than what the common standard of living might imply. Micro gears and other fine clockwork techniques should be possible IMO.

To be clear, I'm not saying that any PC can simply will into existence some device from their imagination. The examples I provided would be things that I, as GM, would find plausible in my own campaign. And depending on complexity, I would apply an escalating chance of failure to their creation, not unlike the magic item creation rules.

And TBH, Cidri is far too big for there not to be a full-on steampunk society someplace.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 05-19-2023 at 06:30 AM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 05:58 AM   #25
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
A spike that shoots from a staff or mace,..., a sha-ken launcher
That's the same thing so let's cost it out.

A Master Mechanician has a total payroll cost of around $200 (if the same as Master Armourer) and a hidden (3/IQ) Sha-Ken thrower would be around a 8d total trap hence 8 hours of his time (5th of a week) for $40 plus around the same in parts, total cost $80.

Reloading it takes the same time as removing a trap (ITL 70)

Last edited by hcobb; 05-19-2023 at 06:06 AM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:39 AM   #26
tomc

Quote:
How would you pack enough spring power inside a mace to make anything launched from it move fast enough to do any damage?
You don't use springs, you use Magic Fist, the mechanician's friend. The mace handle (silver I suppose) is a hollow for half it's length. The bottom half is a magic fist rod. Load the spike in the top, aim, trigger the magic fist, and spike your enemy from across the room.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:07 PM   #27
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
You don't use springs, you use Magic Fist, the mechanician's friend. The mace handle (silver I suppose) is a hollow for half it's length. The bottom half is a magic fist rod. Load the spike in the top, aim, trigger the magic fist, and spike your enemy from across the room.
No self-respecting mechanician would let one of those 'spell-slackers' anywhere near their workshop. ;)
Old 05-19-2023, 02:39 PM   #28
Shostak

Quote:
Given that energy out is always less than energy in, that spike is going to deal less damage than the meager Magic Fist propelling it. Plus, you have the problem of equal and opposite reactions, making the mace recoil at the end of its lever handle if the spike is shot when triggered by using the mace to strike a blow.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:49 PM   #29
timm meyers

Quote:
Ohhh I like this creative imagining of the fantasy style world workings.
Expensive and unreliable dragon dung gunpowder - pfff- Why not harness the kinetic magic of the fist spell as a safe efficient alternative?

I am off to design the renaissance mecha-magical corner of Cidri where silver cartridges of 1 ST (or up to 3 ST!) magic fist spells revolutionize warfare! Using the ingenious mechanicians talent and work camps filled with IQ-8 forced labor wizards the proliferation of "whoosh" guns is inevitable. The kings' musketeers firing sharp projectiles with magic fist propellent will be nigh unstoppable!
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:40 AM   #30
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
Ohhh I like this creative imagining of the fantasy style world workings.
Expensive and unreliable dragon dung gunpowder - pfff- Why not harness the kinetic magic of the fist spell as a safe efficient alternative?

I am off to design the renaissance mecha-magical corner of Cidri where silver cartridges of 1 ST (or up to 3 ST!) magic fist spells revolutionize warfare! Using the ingenious mechanicians talent and work camps filled with IQ-8 forced labor wizards the proliferation of "whoosh" guns is inevitable. The kings' musketeers firing sharp projectiles with magic fist propellent will be nigh unstoppable!
Maybe this is part of why Wizards don't like Mechanicians. :)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, gadget, gadgeteer, mechanic, skills