Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #21
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: [Basic] Skills of the week: Bicycling, Driving and Piloting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I believe if someone bicycles often enough that it costs them less fatigue, its called "Fit" in GURPS terms... and real life terms as well according to the bicyclists I know that like to brag. ;)
Nitpick: If it costs them less fatigue, it would actually be called Very Fit [15] in GURPS terms. Regular Fit just lets them recover faster.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
As noted later, this is a good case for justifying Fit . . . but you can also take a page from The Last Gasp and Technical Grappling, and have high relative skill in Bicycling give extra FP for cycling ONLY based on the fast progression of Trained ST (or in this case, likely trained HT).
Going from biking everywhere to walking with backpack took a bit of getting used to. I had to exercise different muscles creating a whole new physique.

I imagine it's why cross training is so important. So you don't over specialize your body.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #23
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Nitpick: If it costs them less fatigue, it would actually be called Very Fit [15] in GURPS terms. Regular Fit just lets them recover faster.
Why not just use reduced FP like swimming?
Skill teaches you to coast more and more effiently so you rest while riding part of the time.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #24
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Skill teaches you to coast more and more effiently so you rest while riding part of the time.
I'm commenting on the specifics of variations on the Fit Advantage here, not saying anything about floating the Bicycling skill to HT or using the Last Gasp rules or whatever.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #25
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Not sure that is within system resolution; how much "efficient coasting" is required to save a point of FP/lose it half as fast? How much of this is dependent upon terrain? I don't bike (shock of shocks, amiright? XD) so what little experience I have is that coasting is either part of the default "FP consumption assumption" or not happening unless the terrain is favorable to it; you're not coasting uphill unless its immediately after descending a larger hill.

I should be careful... what are the rules for FP exertion for Bicycling again? >.> Does this tie a bit into the discussion I vaguely remember from X months ago (drawing a blank on the exact time; pretty sure it was between 1 and 11 months) about Fit and Very Fit and how skill usage should probably affect FP loss.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I should be careful... what are the rules for FP exertion for Bicycling again?
They're based on the Running rules on B354, but you can float Bicycling to HT and roll that in place of HT to avoid fatigue loss. That means that serious distance cyclists are rolling against 16 to avoid fatigue loss, once per minute, and thus loosing a point of fatigue about once every 50 minutes. If they are Very Fit they lose fatigue at half the normal rate, which is most easily represented by rolling every two minutes.

Serious cyclists do things that seem crazy to the likes of me. There's one at work who used to commute 40 miles each way daily: he enjoyed it hugely, but had to admit that it took up too much time. For a honeymoon, he and his wife cycled over the Pyrenees Mountains.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #27
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
They're based on the Running rules on B354, but you can float Bicycling to HT and roll that in place of HT to avoid fatigue loss. That means that serious distance cyclists are rolling against 16 to avoid fatigue loss, once per minute, and thus loosing a point of fatigue about once every 50 minutes. If they are Very Fit they lose fatigue at half the normal rate, which is most easily represented by rolling every two minutes.

Serious cyclists do things that seem crazy to the likes of me. There's one at work who used to commute 40 miles each way daily: he enjoyed it hugely, but had to admit that it took up too much time. For a honeymoon, he and his wife cycled over the Pyrenees Mountains.
Thanks for saving me the effort.

So... a good Bicycling Skill already improves endurance at bicycling unless the target has a higher HT score than Bicycling Skill? Or did I miss the forest for the trees? ^^'
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #28
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
So... a good Bicycling Skill already improves endurance at bicycling unless the target has a higher HT score than Bicycling Skill?
That rule is from High-Tech. Since Bicycling is an Easy skill, having it at all means your HT-based Bicycling will be at least equal to HT.

Incidentally, I picked up that rule by searching PDFs. For this kind of GURPS research, it really is worthwhile to have a search tool that searches across all your PDFS at once. Windows' built-in search was a joke for years, but with Windows 8 it works really well once you get it the filter that lets it look in PDFs.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That rule is from High-Tech. Since Bicycling is an Easy skill, having it at all means your HT-based Bicycling will be at least equal to HT.

Incidentally, I picked up that rule by searching PDFs. For this kind of GURPS research, it really is worthwhile to have a search tool that searches across all your PDFS at once. Windows' built-in search was a joke for years, but with Windows 8 it works really well once you get it the filter that lets it look in PDFs.
You can search multiple pdfs with Acrobat.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #30
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You can search multiple pdfs with Acrobat.
So you can: I usually use Samatra PDF, which doesn't. The Windows search is much faster, since it indexes in the background.

Tags
basic, bicycling, driving, piloting, skill of the week