Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-16-2024, 09:01 PM   #2921
cptbutton

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
The body is under... the bombing range? A table purchased at a charity shop has a message painted on the bottom saying that the body is buried at a particular set of coordinates. These coordinates turn out to be a bomb testing range near a Florida Air Force base, so checking for a body is a bit problematic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Sounds like either a joke/prank by a previous owner of the table or possibly part of some "solve the mystery" game - maybe the players were intended to look up the location on Google Maps, see the Star of David off a bit to the west, and use that as a clue for the next phase of the mystery?

For campaign purposes, you'd want the body to be of interest due to it carrying some documents/MacGuffin/whatever, such that the PC's don't have the option of notifying the authorities to halt testing and dig it up (or, as I assume is the case in real life, the authorities simply don't believe there's anything there). Then they've got to sneak onto a military base, hoping there aren't any bombing tests planned, and dig up the body themselves.
As a cranky old guy, I'll note that I don't see the "N" or "W" the article claims in the picture. So it describes four different locations. The southern ones are in the Pacific and Indian oceans not near any land, but the the "N" "E" one is in India, north of Lucknow.

Which is the sort of insight you'd get in a campaign or an action movie. Cue the line crossing a map montage...
Old 02-17-2024, 06:03 AM   #2922
DeadParrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
The body is under... the bombing range? A table purchased at a charity shop has a message painted on the bottom saying that the body is buried at a particular set of coordinates. These coordinates turn out to be a bomb testing range near a Florida Air Force base, so checking for a body is a bit problematic.
Kids, those meddling kids! Never overlook the possibility of this being a prank by one or more kids. Either just before the table left their house or free range kids wandering the store and having a bit of fun. Now laughing at all of the attention their prank is getting. Possibly inspired by an NCIS(or was it JAG?) episode where criminals were using a bombing range as a body disposal site.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:24 AM   #2923
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
As a cranky old guy, I'll note that I don't see the "N" or "W" the article claims in the picture. So it describes four different locations. The southern ones are in the Pacific and Indian oceans not near any land, but the the "N" "E" one is in India, north of Lucknow.

Which is the sort of insight you'd get in a campaign or an action movie. Cue the line crossing a map montage...
AFAICT the store where the desk in question was purchased is also in Florida, so of the four possible locations the one in the same jurisdiction seems the most likely.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:17 PM   #2924
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I see a minus sign in front of the second coordinate, with a smaller, fainter hyphen separating the two coordinates, so N and W seems fine to me.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:20 PM   #2925
Johnny1A.2

OK, this bit of military/civil technology from the Cold War could definitely have gaming applications...and it's just too Cool for words:

The 1964 Chrysler Marsh Screw Amphibian
Old 02-27-2024, 10:07 PM   #2926
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
OK, this bit of military/civil technology from the Cold War could definitely have gaming applications...and it's just too Cool for words:

The 1964 Chrysler Marsh Screw Amphibian
That's the same drive system used by the Chinese tanks during the American Liberation of Anchorage in 2076, as seen in the simulation being run by the Outcasts in Fallout 3 DLC "Operation Anchorage".

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:22 PM   #2927
ravenfish

To be filed under "I don't know what happened, but PCs must have been involved somehow", a 200 foot radio mast in Alabama was stolen (or, at least, has disappeared). Despite the fact that the mast was supposed to have been actively broadcasting, no one noticed the loss until over a week later when a crew was sent to do routine brush trimming.

Your gaming angle can be either the heist itself, or the nature of the interrupted transmissions- were people prevented from noticing their cessation by the same force that prevented them from properly noticing their nefarious contents in the first place?

Last edited by ravenfish; 03-04-2024 at 01:27 PM.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox