Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-03-2023, 10:46 PM   #11
sjmdw45

Default Re: Rejected Nordlondr Folk Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I'm curious as to how you (or anyone here) would design encounters to challenge beasts like that without potentially one-shotting others with double digits less DR.
Electric Jelly, Crushroom, Alfar Warrior (or any spellcaster with mind control spells really), pit traps or fights on a city wall 10 yards high or a cliff 10 to 30 yards off the ground, Jelly (a.k.a. Gelatinous Cube), horde pygmies or giant spiders or murder hornets or any monster that can do eye stabs with good accuracy.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:41 AM   #12
Anders

Quote:
I'm curious as to how you (or anyone here) would design encounters to challenge beasts like that without potentially one-shotting others with double digits less DR.
Wrestling, wrestling, wrestling. Can't fight if I tie you into a pretzel.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:00 AM   #13
mburr0003

Quote:
That is true. Also, Dehydrate and Frostbite are great against my double-digit/20+ hp barbarian and wrestler.
Yup, FP attacks that ignore armor and eyeshots are really the only things someone with that much armor fear. Okay Deathtouch, but it's a Barbarian so that's not as frightening what with all the HP they probably have... and that generally means the clothey came into touch range...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Just have more than one enemy; let them engage the siege beast while a horde of doomchildren swarm around.
Divide and conquer! My meatthug Barbarian was all about playing tag with the big guys while the rest of the party dealt with the mobs other foes.

Inversely when it was Boombrats, my meatthug tended to insult them (AOE Agro Pull!) and get them to swarm him and draw their vicious knives and explosions away from the more fragile party members. Because the average roll on 3d+3 was not enough to penetrate his armor and their explosions were laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Wrestling, wrestling, wrestling. Can't fight if I tie you into a pretzel.
Unfortunately Barbarian meatthugs tend to also be wrestlers. I mean not always, and the extra heavily armored Tankstrocity Knight might just have forgone Wrestling entirely...
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:21 AM   #14
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Yup, FP attacks that ignore armor and eyeshots are really the only things someone with that much armor fear. Okay Deathtouch, but it's a Barbarian so that's not as frightening what with all the HP they probably have... and that generally means the clothey came into touch range...
Plus falling damage, constriction attacks from Crushrooms/etc., spectres, jellies, electric jellies, eyes of death, toxifiers, mind control, and possibly ice weasels.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #15
Harald387

Quote:
"Mind control them and let the party figure it out", says the person who wrote the end boss for Hall of Judgment.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

Last edited by Harald387; 06-05-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:01 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Krabbadýr, and let the best cancer win.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote