Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default [Setting Concept] Teenagers from Other Dimensions.

I have a setting concept I think I'd like to develop for GURPS:

At some point a more fantastic conglomeration of universes slams into and absorbs Earth's spacetime. Now all sorts of extradimensional beings are popping in to check out the place, some are staying, and some are having kids who then go to high school.

Not only that, but being swallowed whole by a multiverse has made lots of people on Earth weirder than in the past: some can do "magic", some are literal furries, and then some third thing that I haven't gotten around to thinking up yet.

The intent of the setting is to allow a bunch of fantastic stuff to exist on Earth -- and thus an excuse to use GURPS books -- but without having to change/explain more than X-teen years of history. I also don't intend to use it for anything featuring much drama: true to the inspiration for its title, virtually everything is in the name of comedy. This means don't expect the consequences of the assimilation to be realistic.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: [Setting Concept] Teenagers from Other Dimensions.

I imagine a lot of teenagers feel like they're from another dimension. I know I did.

Sounds like fun!
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
SilvercatMoonpaw

Magic

For "magic" -- I keep putting it in quotes because I'm not quite sure if it's actually supernatural or just weird physics -- I'm probably going to go with Sorcery. Mostly because that's what I have, but I also like the idea that having many and powerful spells effectively makes you a superhero or god, i.e. you have a high point total.

There's also a small difference if you are a pan (humanoid) or ghwer (non-human-animal-like being): pan require a bond with some other kind of entity. Essentially, to use Sorcery they also need to have "Ally (Almost Always, x3 OR Constantly, x4)". I'm not sure how much of a Limitation this would be, as once you have the bond you need to kill the other being to deprive the mage.

But this is just one source of special effects: characters can also simply be given plain-old Powers.

Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 10-24-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #4
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
For "magic" -- I keep putting it in quotes because I'm not quite sure if it's actually supernatural or just weird physics
Personally, I don't see a difference, and I suspect there would be many in setting who do not. "Supernatural" means beyond nature, but if confirmed to exist, doesn't it just mean that nature is slightly more encompassing than previously understood? Even if it is turtles all the way down, any given turtle is just a turtle.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have a setting concept I think I'd like to develop for GURPS:

At some point a more fantastic conglomeration of universes slams into and absorbs Earth's spacetime. Now all sorts of extradimensional beings are popping in to check out the place, some are staying, and some are having kids who then go to high school.

Not only that, but being swallowed whole by a multiverse has made lots of people on Earth weirder than in the past: some can do "magic", some are literal furries, and then some third thing that I haven't gotten around to thinking up yet.

The intent of the setting is to allow a bunch of fantastic stuff to exist on Earth -- and thus an excuse to use GURPS books -- but without having to change/explain more than X-teen years of history. I also don't intend to use it for anything featuring much drama: true to the inspiration for its title, virtually everything is in the name of comedy. This means don't expect the consequences of the assimilation to be realistic.
Sounds a lot like R. Talsorian's Teenagers from Outer Space, just reskinning from science fiction to fantasy. If you haven't been inspired by that game, you might want to get a copy.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sounds a lot like R. Talsorian's Teenagers from Outer Space, just reskinning from science fiction to fantasy. If you haven't been inspired by that game, you might want to get a copy.
I thought the title would have indicated it, but I have, and love, that game.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Personally, I don't see a difference, and I suspect there would be many in setting who do not. "Supernatural" means beyond nature, but if confirmed to exist, doesn't it just mean that nature is slightly more encompassing than previously understood? Even if it is turtles all the way down, any given turtle is just a turtle.
You have a point.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
SilvercatMoonpaw

Chi: Pan who don't want to bond can instead use GURPS' martial arts superpower source. For some reason Chi seems to work best when the weapon-user is supplying their personal motive force to an object, so mechanical/chemical-shot and energy-projecting weapons have few styles.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
TGLS

Quote:
I'm not sure how much of a Limitation this would be, as once you have the bond you need to kill the other being to deprive the mage.
Sounds like a variation on granted by familiar.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #10
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Sounds like a variation on granted by familiar.