Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
The Tin Plated Kitten

Default Re: resin minis???

Gr-A-y Cat Castings!

I did not shut down exactly, I just stopped producing Ogre. I was having trouble getting the orders out, and decided to give up the license so a regular manufacturer could take it over when the huge new market inspired by the release of 6th edition opened up. So we waited...

(sound of crickets)

I do not know what the status of that search is.

CAD--- the following vehicles and buildings were done in CAD:

**Combine**
LAD
Hover truck
Ogre Mk 1
Ogre Mk 2
Ogre Mk 4
Ogre Mk 6
Vulcan (rear hull, arms)
Vulcan drone (turret)
Ninja
Jam Screen
Radar

** Pan European**
Dopplesoldner

I did all of these except the buildings, using Rhino. I also did some retro work-ups of many of the other buildings and vehicles in 3D for use in designing the 'cut-outs' for 6th ed.

Gray Cat is in transition between life # 7 and #8.

Richard Kerr

Last edited by The Tin Plated Kitten; 12-10-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
The Tin Plated Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
shantke

@Tin Plated Kitten, glad to see you are still around. Hope you are doing well. How is the building manager position treating you?
What do you think of the market shift to resin minis?
Have you see any photos of the Starline 2500s?
If SJG decided to make the jump to resin minis would you do the 3d modeling for the other masters?
Are you still looking for a 3d modeler to contribute on some masters not already done yet?
Seems like DCP was going to restart doing resin building again, I am going to guess that idea was shelved waiting for 6th ed. as well?
What was decided about the possibility of doing some of the minis with hydrocal?
Thanks for your time, and all you have contributed to the many games I play.

Last edited by shantke; 12-11-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: forgot a ?
shantke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Rogueliberty

Well...make that 15. :)

Unfortunately, production of the minis stopped before I could get my complete collection. IMHO, it stopped too early.

I understand the reasons for this, and even so, think another try is in order.
Especially with OGRE 6th edition coming out. That's going to have alot of players both old and new looking for OGRE minis again which atm are OOP.
Including myself, and some of my gaming buddies...
...so make that 18. :)

It's incredibly hard work designing minis, sculpting minis, molding them, casting them, and selling them. Rewarding as hell, but hard work. So my deepest appreciation to all who were involved with the OGRE mini run.

If they were to be made available again, this time I would be able to complete my collection.
(I missed out on some of the OGRES and lesser used units...and I wanted more of the units I had, but did not have the funds to make the investment in the time they were in production. If they only would have been available longer, I would have been able to get all the ones I wanted).

By the time my game group found out about and got back into OGRE minis, most were OOP.
With the realization you could not complete your collection, we simply stopped buying.

I wonder how many other OGRE players stopped buying because they went OOP hoping they would be made available again someday?
__________________________________________________ ______________

...and speaking of making the OOP in print again...

The OGRE BLUEPRINT

Another much missed opportunity.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Rogueliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Talorien
Former Ogre Line Editor

+1 as another fan who'd like to see the minis back in production when 6E comes out.

Key 'basic' units which can't be bought currently (i.e. OOP in both single mini and boxed sets):

Mk 5 Ogre
Combine Superheavy
Combine Heavy Tank
Combine Command Post
Paneuro Command Post

The Combine Light Tank also kind of qualifies. There are two of them in Combine Set 7, but that's not a practical way of getting enough for a decent sized force (about 4-12 tanks).

Even just a cast-to-order system would be great (i.e. minis cast only after an order is made, to fulfill that specific order).
Talorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Marcus

really looking forward to the new edition.

+1 from me on the minis.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
Toltrin

I have been waiting literally YEARS to have Steve Jackson's vehicles and play items to come out in plastic or resin. The infantry can stay tin but the cybertanks could be more modifiable if they were made out of something other than tin.
My 2 cents.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
shantke

I know this is an old thread but I though it was worth updating. I would advise against resin minis for two reasons, I bought some GW finecast minis and they will take a ton of work to make look nice. So they (GW) raised the price and now sell crappier miniatures, not a good way to go. Mongoose and ADB have announced that their joint 2500 line of Star Fleet starships will be re-released in mostly metal. The only things that will be resin are the bodies of some of the dreadnoughts and battleships. The reasons were the quality of the resin minis were hideous, extended production times and vastly increased labor costs. They switched to metal because they can produce them faster and cheaper than they could resin minis. The metal still cost more than the resin does but at least when you get a bad metal one you can melt it down and try again. If a resin one is too full of bubbles it is junk, and you can't do it over. In my dreamland I hope OGRE 6e sells enough copies that SJG sends the Ogre mini molds to the Mongoose factory in Ohio and Mongoose starts casting Ogre minis for SJG. The new metal 2500s look amazing, and the 2400s Mongoose cast for ADB were always nice.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
Apache
On Notice

Hell no.

If SJG wants anybody to do resin mini's for them, it should be Spartan Games, the guys behind Firestorm Armada/Dystopian Wars/Uncharted Seas.

Asking Mongoose to do mini's is a disaster waiting to happen; I still can't believe they haven't completely fracked up the Traveller line.

If SJG wants to do metals again, and have them done well, both Reaper and Hydra Miniatures (makers of CAV and War Rocket, respectedly) immediately spring to mind.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Asking Mongoose to do mini's is a disaster waiting to happen; I still can't believe they haven't completely fracked up the Traveller line.
They have... just not as badly as they did the RuneQuest line.

More correctly - the core book isn't bad, the expansion material has been a downhill slide, and the OTU books for it range from low-mediocre to excement.

They seem hell-bent on ruining the OTU, and the rules don't clearly indicate non-OTU compatible materials. Then again, Matthew has indicated a rather profound disdain for the OTU, so that should be no surprise.

And they have abandoned their Resin Minis for the SFU - they announced a switch to metal casts last month, as they couldn't get the resin ones to reliably produce good casts. (And the video of their molds shows no vents - so they trap bubbles in the warp nacelles!)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
shantke

I was originally asking what opinions were on resin minis in generally and specifically on resin Ogre minis. I would say that after the Mongoose fiasco with the Starline 2500 resin minis that SJG should stay away from resin minis. Except for maybe the structures. They should keep the metal minis metal. Mongoose has done a good job with the Metal Starline 2400 minis. Reaper does good with their minis and LOUSY with other peoples minis. They did a bad job for ADB when they were the casting house for the Starline 2400 minis. Mongoose is doing much better with the NOW metal Starline 2500 minis. I know about the minis and very little about the rule sets by Mongoose. The focus of this thread is Ogre minis. I haven't heard of the other company mentioned, and am not familiar with their minis.

Tags
gev, macroture, miniature, ogre, resin