Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #5521
zarawesome

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Can you build a really big one-use projector or conveyor around the reactor building to get it off Homeline in an emergency?
An emergency worldline jump carrying a melting down nuclear reactor sounds like the sort of thing that creates banestorms.
zarawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #5522
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
Yes, perhaps the oil brought to Homeline is use for plastics and the like - like how oil is mostly used on GURPS Transhuman Space.

If parachronics are possible, then pretty much anything is - certainly advanced environmental science. Infinity could put some sort of super-cleaning doohickey at factories and other industrial sites. Lenin-3 electric cars means they don't have to be put on cars.

And industries we don't immediately think of as polluting could also move off-world. Livestock, fishing, even farming, could move off-world, saving Homeline from everything from overtaxed water tables to the methane from cow farts.
I think this is what would have happened with Homeline, why scratch for space when you can farm agri worlds with grazing lands the size of the Midwest, plus there's Oceanic Earths for fishing.

Quote:
Parachronic tech doesn't help that much with fission power. It solves the waste problem by dumping it on some useless timeline, but the accident dangers are still there, as are the social or political objections.

How hard would it be to store power in some form just long enough to it to be transposed to Homeline? Conveyors full of capacitors or hydrogen or something.

Can you build a really big one-use projector or conveyor around the reactor building to get it off Homeline in an emergency?

On the other hand, one of the way to address this is to move the more energy-intensive industrial processes to another timeline where accidents are a more a financial loss and less of a danger to the public. (Metal refining, concrete production, fertilizers, etc.)
HL would have definitely moved to fission power as quickly as it could acquire the tech and moved heavy industry offworld, of course they could be experimenting with the channelling of dimensional or elemental energies as alternative power sources.

Of course orbital solar arrays and beamed to ground energy might be workable at scale by early 2030s.

Last edited by arcanus; 04-26-2021 at 04:24 PM.
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #5523
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarawesome View Post
An emergency worldline jump carrying a melting down nuclear reactor sounds like the sort of thing that creates banestorms.
Now imagine something goes wrong during the jump, and the reactor ends up on one of the Merlin (GURPS Technomancer) worldlines.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #5524
fchase8

Quote:
Parachronic tech doesn't help that much with fission power. It solves the waste problem by dumping it on some useless timeline, but the accident dangers are still there, as are the social or political objections.

How hard would it be to store power in some form just long enough to it to be transposed to Homeline? Conveyors full of capacitors or hydrogen or something.

On the other hand, one of the way to address this is to move the more energy-intensive industrial processes to another timeline where accidents are a more a financial loss and less of a danger to the public. (Metal refining, concrete production, fertilizers, etc.)
Perhaps nuclear power is used on other empty worldlines, to provide energy for mining, farming, etc. There's not that many Homeliners around, uranium easy to find, and if things go really wrong, can always pick up sticks and move to someplace else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarawesome View Post
Ouch, yes.

Even fleeing an offworld nuclear meltdown like I described could definitely send an emergency world-jump to not where it was meant to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
I think this is what would have happened with Homeline, why scratch for space when you can farm agri worlds with grazing lands the size of the Midwest, plus there's Oceanic Earths for fishing.
Perhaps Homeline farming has moved to high-end artisanal/organic (think real world Europe), plus other small-scale like rare imported seeds & breeds.

Quote:
HL would have definitely moved to fission power as quickly as it could acquire the tech and moved heavy industry offworld, of course they could be experimenting with the channelling of dimensional or elemental energies as alternative power sources.
Channeling dimensional or elemental energies sounds like a ParaLabs accident waiting to happen...

Quote:
Of course orbital solar arrays and beamed to ground energy might be workable at scale by early 2030s.
I think that Homeline space tech isn't as developed, with other dimensions to explore instead of space. I believe not just Shikaku-Mon but even Dixie are more advanced in that regard.

Can Infinity move satellites across worlds? Like, send up a satellite on Homeline, then jump it to watch another world?

Can parachronics work when not on Earth?
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #5525
cptbutton

Quote:
In my Centrum Light campaign, I am saying that while using parachronics off of Earth is theoretically possible, no one has gotten it to work. Experts handwave about the mathematics being much much more complicated.

Centrum doesn't have much of a space program anyway, but I am wondering if the Anglo-French Empire had one before the Last War. They had nukes and advanced biotech, but did they have a space program?
Old 04-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #5526
arcanus

Quote:
Perhaps Homeline farming has moved to high-end artisanal/organic (think real world Europe), plus other small-scale like rare imported seeds & breeds.
There's probably a degree of sustainable or niche produce on HL, but yes I think the heavy lifting would be off-World, even with huge populations of cattle the climatic impact on agri worlds would be less due to the absence of other industry.

Quote:
Channeling dimensional or elemental energies sounds like a ParaLabs accident waiting to happen...
Right up Paralabs street, plus it gives Nexus Oversight a commercial vehicle

Quote:
I think that Homeline space tech isn't as developed, with other dimensions to explore instead of space. I believe not just Shikaku-Mon but even Dixie are more advanced in that regard.
But it could be acquired, if you look at some of the old Pyramid space timelines like Kirby or Space Nixon, they could acquire space tech, not everything of value can be found on an Earth HE3 for example.

Quote:
Can Infinity move satellites across worlds? Like, send up a satellite on Homeline, then jump it to watch another world?
Worlds of Horror has Infinity debating UFO satellites jumped into Taft 1 orbit, plus I'm pretty sure conveyer satellites are one of the survey tools on low tech worlds.

If you use Rubble-3 or jump Worlds, moving mass into other world orbit would be fairly easy (especially if the actual cost of transit is significantly cheaper than Infinity charges).

Simply jump in into the Earth Void move the cargo in a straight line to an orbital jump point and transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Rubble-3: 2010 ish, according to star charts. About a decade ago, some bizarre physical change occurred, causing earth (and all other rocky bodies larger than a few thousand Km) to break up into belts of debris. This seemed to happen around the time of the first world-jumping experiments on Homeline, but it could be a coincidence. I'm not sure about the physics of where you'd show up if you jumped there...
Old 04-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #5527
arcanus

Quote:
In my Centrum Light campaign, I am saying that while using parachronics off of Earth is theoretically possible, no one has gotten it to work. Experts handwave about the mathematics being much much more complicated.

Centrum doesn't have much of a space program anyway, but I am wondering if the Anglo-French Empire had one before the Last War. They had nukes and advanced biotech, but did they have a space program?
In our campaign Centrum quietly absorbed a High tech Q10 world into its green zone, the line (called Icarus) had intersystem exploration due to a divergent spacerace & discovery of wormholes however Centrum pushed to far and encountered a hostile alien race at the edge of the solar system.

The worldline was connected to Kirby in Q5 by a parachronic wormhole somewhere between Mars and Jupiter.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #5528
fchase8

Quote:
I would think that the AFE did have a space program, but only at Homeline 1950s level - maybe a man in space, but no man on the moon. There wouldn't be a competitive space race, except maybe between different ultra-wealthy aristocrats (kind of like IRL...), and no push for ICBMS.

Centrum would have built/rebuilt some sort of space program, if only for weather satellites (and some to spy on their own people). But going to the Moon would be seen as peak Homeline 'irrationality'.

Quote:
But it could be acquired, if you look at some of the old Pyramid space timelines like Kirby or Space Nixon, they could acquire space tech, not everything of value can be found on an Earth HE3 for example.

Worlds of Horror has Infinity debating UFO satellites jumped into Taft 1 orbit, plus I'm pretty sure conveyer satellites are one of the survey tools on low tech worlds.

If you use Rubble-3 or jump Worlds, moving mass into other world orbit would be fairly easy (especially if the actual cost of transit is significantly cheaper than Infinity charges).

Simply jump in into the Earth Void move the cargo in a straight line to an orbital jump point and transit.
There definitely were some old Pyramid worlds, and have been some fan-made worlds for Infinity space programs (I had my own, Gravity, where Earth's gravity is a third normal), but not as much for the current canon version. I guess the Taft-1 space reference in GURPS Worlds of Horror means that there is some sort of parachronic space program.

Maybe it's that Infinity can move small spy satellites and the like, which will have been shrunk with general tech advancements, but not anything sizeable - certainly nothing manned.

Though probably ParaLabs is working on a manned parachronic space vehicle of some sort, for emergency use - that emergency being a great adventure...
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:53 PM   #5529
Astromancer

Try this one...

This Q6 Low Mana Parallel seems to have had serious out time interference. In 1935 an African-American inventor called Prometheus Jackson came up with the formula for a High-Temperature Superconductor. Through mutual friends he brought this to the attention of Eleanor Roosevelt. She alerted her husband. All of this was kept quite. By 1941 the U.S. military had access to seven High-Temperature Superconductors.

This had minimal effects on the war beyond improved performance of US subs which used diesel fuel to generate electricity. But by 1948 America was experiencing a massive boom based on Superconductor based technology. This is still a TL7 world, but one with a powerful dose of superscience!

Prometheus Jackson was assassinated in 1949 while speaking at a Civil Rights protest in Atlanta. The nation has treated Mr. Jackson as a martyr and Truman used the crisis to push through both Socialized Medicine and a major civil rights bill basically covering all the major civil legislation Homeline passed in the later 1960's. Conservatives even added extensive equal rights for women into the bill as a poison pill to kill it. As in Homeline history the liberals laughed joyously and voted for the bill.

The local year is 1967. The whole of the Western Industrialized world looks like a Raygun Gothic wonderland. Cars don't make much use of their wheels, they float on beds of magnetic force. Electrical power generation is done by cheap fusion energy, This is a very Zeerust 1960's. The economy of this parallel's USA is about five times as large as Homeline's at the same period, Europe and Japan are also much richer, but not to the same extent. The USSR is about twice as rich as Homeline's USSR in period, as even they reap massive benefits. Still, they are aware of how far behind they are.

Basically, the 1960's with the dials turned to eleven. The late 1960's occult boom is a godsend to the Cabal. The espionage struggles of the period seem to give Centrum all kinds of angles. Homeline is both trying to find out who Prometheus Jackson really was and who backed him, and Why.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-01-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #5530
Astromancer

Try this one...

In many ways this Q4 low/normal 80%/20% world seems a great deal like Earth of the 1940s. But there is a big difference, they had elves. The last pureblood elf seems to have left this parallel in the 7th century CE. However, many people with Elvish blood live in modern world of 1942.

People with Elvish heritage are found all around the planet. The Celtic peoples are known to have the highest concentration of people with provable Elvish heritage, especially the Irish. However, many Native American peoples, the Rom, the Balinese, the Javanese, several Polynesian groups, the Fula, among others, have nearly as much elvish heritage as the Celts.

The main effects of being part elf (other than being 15 kilos lighter and 8 centimeters taller on average than an ordinary person of the same strength) seems to be the Longevity advantage, the three Zero Point advantages No Genetic Defects, No Mental Defects and No Unattractive, and the Playful quirk. Although artistic talents, acute senses, and a wide range of mental and supernatural advantages are far more common among those of elvish heritage.

The Cabal sees many recruiting advantages in the Elf Blood populations of this parallel. Although magic is know and accepted as real on this parallel, it is also seen as old fashioned and ineffective. But the Cabal know that improved instruction and technique are that is needed to to bring this parallel's Mages up to speed. Meanwhile, Homeline also wants to recruit the Elf Bloods and get in on this world's mystic secrets (which are taught at colleges and universities) but they want to keep the Secret while doing so.

Meanwhile Midwinter Anton is working with the Ahnenerbe to improve Nazi Occult capacities. It is known to Homeline agents that German spies are interested in FDR's barber! It's assumed that an assassination or mind control plot is underway.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-07-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited