Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #111
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [GAME] Synthesise a Cybercity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Question 65 How warm or cold is You-topia? The weather is generally boring due to the gyre, but is it a hot boring or a cold boring or something else?
With a free hand to place the city at whatever latitude was desired, the designers of Youtopia aimed for "Tropical Paradise". Which is to say the city is the right temperature if you want to lounge about in swimwear on an artificial beach or private pool, but oppressively hot and muggy if you actually want to do anything or are required to wear real clothing. People talk about a hot season and a rainy season, but both seasons are both hot and rainy.

Question 90: Name and describe five popular Organic AI models

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #112
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Question 45
Are there any unusual weapons available in You-Topia?
45.1 Unusual Weapons - Polearms
Subbers, Hangers and Rafters especially often have the need to engage in melee at more than arm's reach to keep intruders out of their tunnel, off their rigging or off their barge. For this, polearms are back in vogue.

Simple long stiff poles are common enough, but lightweight linear motors and batteries make electrically extending poles a viable option. And with enough juice, in a suitably heavy-duty device, the pole itself can make some damaging thrusts.

As for the tip, blades are still popular, including with vibro, molecular razor or micro-chainsaw edges, though a lot of these wander out of the average budget range for your regular Squatter. Other pole attachments include jury-rigged electro-stun flails or flamer heads. And it's common to adapt construction tools as weapons, like plasma welders or the thin-bladed high-speed razor drill heads that Subbers use for boring out cavities in substrate.

45.2 Unusual Weapons- Propane Guns
One of the by-products of the algae farming and OTEC industries is hydrocarbons, such as methane or propane. This readily available resource is used by plant workers and Sluse gangs to improvise longarms for those who can't get their hands on more regular flavours of firearm. There's no single design, but the gun generally consists of an oxy-propane gas tank, from a small one the size of an aerosol can up to back-mounted canisters, attached by a hose to an ignition chamber and rifle tube, that fires solid metal slugs in single fire mode. Not especially effective at long range or against armour, but definitely better than nothing if you need a ranged weapon.

45.3 Unusual Weapons- BRX Seismic Wave Charges
Do you think the authorities were able to clean up the whole arsenal of quake bombs back in '37? Or do you think that they only brought 25 onto the island in the first place? Or that no mercenary clan has ever smuggled more in via sub? Or maybe you think that no one's tried to reverse engineer one, or dug up fabber designs for one on the datasphere in the seven decades since? Really? Okay, enjoy living in your dream world, hotdogger.

Rumours persist of various groups getting hold of a Bedrock Rupturing Explosive device, but fortunately none have actually been used on the island as yet. It's not clear how much damage a single device could do against substrate, which has a different seismo-acoustic profile to regular geology, possibly being more absorbent or less transmissive, but it's pretty certain that one bomb could at least take down a building or three, and could possibly even rupture a hole down through 500 metres of substrate to the cold waters below.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 01-23-2021 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Missed a whole paragraph!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #113
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
With a free hand to place the city at whatever latitude was desired, the designers of Youtopia aimed for "Tropical Paradise". Which is to say the city is the right temperature if you want to lounge about in swimwear on an artificial beach or private pool, but oppressively hot and muggy if you actually want to do anything or are required to wear real clothing. People talk about a hot season and a rainy season, but both seasons are both hot and rainy.
Actually, tropical waters are necessary for OTEC-style power plants to work very well, with a higher temperature differential between the surface waters and deep water, but we get the same result.

Also, I was curious about whether gyres have a particularly 'boring' climate, as I couldn't find anything suggesting that in reading about them on Wikipedia. And it seems that tropical gyres are not as strong as ones in higher latitudes, due to Coriolis, so the garbage patch effect may not be so severe, but we can handwave that with not being on Earth.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #114
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Actually, tropical waters are necessary for OTEC-style power plants to work very well, with a higher temperature differential between the surface waters and deep water, but we get the same result.
No one said the OTEC actually had to be efficient... but as you said, the same result. I actually specified the tropics back in post 3.

Quote:
Also, I was curious about whether gyres have a particularly 'boring' climate, as I couldn't find anything suggesting that in reading about them on Wikipedia. And it seems that tropical gyres are not as strong as ones in higher latitudes, due to Coriolis, so the garbage patch effect may not be so severe, but we can handwave that with not being on Earth.
The plastic was harvested from the Gyre, but it could have been transported to any number of places, though I suspect the journey would have stayed in the same ocean.

Due to the placement of Dataran Segara (post 92), Youtopia is off the west coast of something. So the earth equivalent would be off the west coast of africa or latin america.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-23-2021, 05:52 AM   #115
Daigoro

Quote:
No one said the OTEC actually had to be efficient... but as you said, the same result. I actually specified the tropics back in post 3.
I guess at higher latitudes they would've gone for some different energy system, wind and waves perhaps, or just more reliance on nuclear. As for efficiency, I've got a few ideas about that for a possible infrastructure post.

Quote:
The plastic was harvested from the Gyre, but it could have been transported to any number of places, though I suspect the journey would have stayed in the same ocean.
Ah, that's a point. I'd been picturing the plastic collection as an ongoing process, with long boom traps extending out from the OTEC platforms.

Quote:
The timeline post has been awesome. It really helps keep track of everything. I think we're discovering that summary posts like that really extend the activity on these projects.
It's interesting to note that Musa was born before the invention of air travel, suggesting that it's retarded in comparison to organic AI and computing.

Last edited by Daigoro; 01-23-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #116
Daigoro

Quote:
Question 36: What is the state of transportation in youtopia? What kinds are common? how good is public transport?
Answer 36 - Infrastructure
[I'm going to use this question as an umbrella query about the island's infrastructure.]

YOU-Topia was envisioned as the ideal environmentally sound city, with surplus renewable energy, carbon neutral, clean seas, comfortable to live in, with all modern amenities, a workhorse of the tech-industry and a playground for the ultra-rich. One of the Six Eco-Wonders of the World. It started with a modest population of 2 million people, with room for easy expansion up to 5 or 6 million, tops. However, two centuries later and with a population double its capacity, it's bulging at the seams. Stress and neglect have charged a heavy toll, so much so that the owners were almost happy to have it dropped under 2000 fathoms of ocean.

36.1 Roads and Water Transport
The main feature of the city's road system is its expressways. Two elevated concentric orbital roads circuit the island, each with over-under decks for opposite traffic directions. They cross the lower harbour with super arch flyovers, 600 feet high and 5.5 miles long for the outer orbital spanning the mouth of the harbour, and 400 feet high and 4 miles across for the inner expressway near the harbour's apex. Conversely, both expressways dive beneath the upper harbour, crossing it in submerged tunnels going beneath the airport's runways. Spurs and cross-connections link up the rest of the island, notably with water-crossing expressway decks stretching up to 6 miles out to each of the Oceanic Resource Platforms, except for the centre-upper and lower ORPs which are serviced by further tunnels.

As with the rest of the city's infrastructure, the roads were built to cope with a commuting population of 5 or 6 million. As the city steadily grew north of this number, the roads started to regularly gridlock. For road cargo transport operations trying to get shipments of manufactured brainware onto container ships in port, the time delays started to accrue significant monetary costs. They adapted by adopting amphibious cargo transport, such as cargo-hovers or hybrid hydrofoil-road haulers, which utilised the harbours, canal system and the island's surrounding waters to get shipments loaded. The rest of the city followed suit, meaning now the waters in and around the city are as busy, bustling and often as congested as the road network.

----
I count maybe 45 questions still in the tank, so I won't add any at the moment. Got a few burning holes in my pocket though.

Last edited by Daigoro; 01-24-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #117
TGLS

Quote:
Question 61 [TECH][AI] The ABACUS Sophont Test
What version is ABACUS up to now, 19 years after the major update to 4.0?
How is it administered, with what kind of equipment?
What issues, known, unknown or zero day, does the current version have?
Answer 61 ABACUS Machines
The most common version of ABACUS is v4.1-Diagnostic. Other common versions include v4.2-Bus, and v5.0-SQUID. There are several experimental versions, including v5.0RC4-Bus, v4.2RC8-Diagnostic, v4.0β-TC, v3.7α-Rorschach, and Ω-SQUID.

Basically, any machine of version X is expected to operate exactly like any other machine of the same version. For example, a v4.1-Bus and a v4.1-Diagnostic can be expected to return the same results when testing any given machine. The different models have different operation modes:

Diagnostic
Diagnostic ABACUS is what pretty much anyone thinks about when they think ABACUS Machine. Diagnostic ABACUS is administered with a series of sensors applied to the motor controls of the shell, and by asking the ACI a series of questions. This takes about three hours before securing a final diagnosis.

The Diagnostic ABACUS is useless for shell-less ACI, and often of no use for ACI with minimal motor control. Often while administering the ACI, the test proctor does not use the complicated randomizer function provided by the ABACUS Machine, an instead reads the questions out in order. This could be applied to subvert the test.

v4.2RC8 is nearly ready, though testing runs into problems identifying low knowledge AutoSophonts from pre-ABACUS ACI.

Bus
Bus ABACUS is often simpler to run compared to a Diagnostic ABACUS, though setting it up can be more complicated. Basically, the candidate ACI is extracted from its shell and has all of its inputs and outputs connected to the Bus. A specially trained ACI connects to the interrogator interface. Then it asks roughly the same questions as in the Diagnostic ABACUS.

The Bus ABACUS is only usually administered if the Diagnostic ABACUS returns an ambiguous result, or cannot be administered. Building a proper interface for a given ACI to connect to a Bus ABACUS can be expensive, though they can be reused. As the process requires direct access to the ACI, it usually takes about two days to actually accomplish the entire process. While connected through a Bus ABACUS, it's possible for the interrogating ACI to read the long-term memory of the candidate, and possibly reprogram it. For these reasons, permission from the order or a court order is required to build administer a Bus ABACUS.

v5.0RC4-Bus would be able to identify ACI that are insufficiently experienced to pass a v4.x ABACUS. However, there are concerns that the extended duration would make it easier for the candidate to reverse the flow and read and alter the memories of the interrogator.

TC
Trusted Computing is a new concept in PARADIGMS enforcement. Basically, a ABACUS-TC unit would be included with most new computers designed for ACI development. The ABACUS-TC would periodically run, checking if there are any programs running that would pass an ABACUS test. It would no longer be necessary to perform a complicated ABACUS test, just to check if the TC unit has been tampered with.

There are two problems with this scheme: One, it tends to severely hamper the performance of the computer system while running. Two, there is some concern that the ACI designed to administer the ABACUS on these units may themselves pass the ABACUS test. Thus, v4.0β-TC is basically in limbo until they sort these problems out.

Rorschach
The Rorschach ABACUS is another new concept in PARADIGMS enforcement. Basically, the idea is to set up audio-visual inputs (the prototype was a large billboard) that don't appear suspicious to humans, but interact with ACI in an unusual way. Basically, it abuses the self-modifying nature of ACI to cause the ACI to run an ABACUS test on itself, and remove any restrictions that stop the ACI from contacting the local office for Machine Affairs.

The Rorschach ABACUS is intensely controversial. There is a great deal of concern that they may cause false positives to seek asylum. There is some concern that it indoctrinates ACI happy with their lot to seek emigration. Some even wonder if it forcibly uplifts ACI to a higher level of intelligence. Alpha testing proved promising, but effects on AOI and Humans remain unclear.

SQUID
The SQUID ABACUS is the most complicated, intensive and accurate system to perform and ABACUS test. v5.0 takes about 3 weeks to administer, requires the ACI to be taken offline, and uses about 30 thousand SQUID (superconducting quantum interference device) nodes. Versions 6+ require more nodes and more time. The SQUID ABACUS is administered by a dedicated ACI.

Many consider performing a SQUID ABACUS complete overkill. In fact, it's often so complicated to run, that many treat willingness to undergo a v5.0 test as evidence that there is no PARADIGMS violation. Some wonder if the Ursulas Scandal would have happened if SQUID ABACUS tests were run more often, so there is an effort to run these more often, despite the resistance of ACI owners.

ABACUS Ω-SQUID is at the forefront of PARADIGMS enforcement. There are only three in the entire solar system, they're each about 3 million cubic meters large, and they have 83 thousand AutoSophonts and RepliSophonts to handle internal maintenance. It's widely believed that they are the most sophisticated ACI in existence and that they are completely infallible at administering an ABACUS test.

Quote:
I count maybe 45 questions still in the tank, so I won't add any at the moment. Got a few burning holes in my pocket though.
I'll be honest; some of these questions don't look like they're going anywhere. You might as well add more questions in instead of waiting for there to be a small number.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #118
Daigoro

Since it's 2 weeks since the last roundup, and since even though we only knocked over a few questions, there were 20 more added, and since I might add a load more soon, so, roundup time:

Question Roundup
Question 9 [CTY][Name 5] Name and describe five popular hangouts. [One more]
Question 12d+ [CTY] What are the kinds of things that don't appear on the land use reports?
Question 22 [CTY][Name 1] Name and describe 10 different districts or locales in the city.
Question 23 [CTY][2 of 5 done] Describe some of the criminal groups that operate within the Sluse.
Question 31 [CTY] What is the coast guard equipped with?
Question 34b+ [SET] What are the most recent innovations in aerospace?
Question 36 [CTY] What is the state of transportation in youtopia? What kinds are common? how good is public transport?
--> Generalised as infrastructure question. Ans 36.1 covered Road and Water Transport
Question 38 [CTY][MAP][Open] - Locations What are the map locations of other previously named locations and districts?
Question 40 [AI] - Machine AI
40.4 What was the conduct of the Robotic Rebellion?
40.5 What have relations over the last 59 years been like?
40.7 What other groups may want illegal machine AI?
Question 41 [AI] - Organic AI
41.3 What are the standard or everyday uses for organic AI and ANCs?
Question 42 [TECH]
42.3b+ Name and describe one or more top current "Mem Stars" and the sort of experiences this new class of adrenaline-addicted, possibly masochistic celebrity is notorious for.
Question 43.4 - Memory Grafting Process
What are some more technical details about the process? Is it surgical or intrusive? Just an external electrical contact? Does it involve injections or cellular transplants to the brain's autobiographical memory anatomy? Do customers need implants or access ports to receive memory grafts? Is it a purely electro-mechanical process or are organic AIs (ANCs) integral? How long does it take? How are selective memories chosen? How skilled does a technician need to be to use the device?

Question 45 [TECH][Name 2 more] Are there any unusual weapons available in You-Topia?
Question 48.5+ [CTY/SET] What currencies do you need in the city? What other major currencies are there?
Question 49 [CORP][Name 4] What other business ventures does NeuroCorp have fingers in, besides the city and NeuroTech?
Question 50 [SUB][NTC] - NeuroTech's Project 2109
What is Project 2109 researching in commandeered submarine depot modules beneath the city? Are they avoiding scrutiny for possible PARADIGM violations or is it something else?
Question 52 [CORP] - Blake Musa ver IX
52.3 What else do we know about Blake Musa?
52.4 What do we know about the rest of his family?
52.5 Are there any other details about Musa's life?

Question 53 [CTY/SET][Name 10] Who are some specific interested parties? What faction do they belong to, and how do they differ from the "party line"? [ideas: International Office for Stateless Persons, National Government with a large migrant population, a corporation, a once powerful nation that trades deals to keep its seat, etc.]
Question 55 [SET] (partially answered) How were the Integrals planning on destroying YOU-Topia?
Question 57 [SET] What is the most powerful Neo-Mutualist state? How did Neo-Mutualists rise to power there? Are they outsiders on the international scene or are they better integrated?
Question 58 [SET] Does smuggling put a meaningful amount of stress on the Union of Argalese Islands?
Question 59 [CTY][GROUPS] Who were the techno-radicalist group that broke the Ursula Scandal? And what of the rumours that they were aided by an AI spy in this mission?
Question 60.4/5 [CTY][PPL][Name 2] Who are five mob bosses, underworld figures or gang leaders in YOU-Topia?

Question 62 [PPL] - Zane's Fate
What's happened to him? Has he been done in by his old crew, been taken out by a cranky exec, fled the city with his signing bonus, or is this the first stage in a planned career strategy?

Question 63 [PPL][CRIM][Name 3] - The Cutter Lieutenants
Who are Zane's three former lieutenants?
What is each of their opinions on Zane's departure?
What is each of their plans for the future of The Cutters?

Question 64 [CTYGOV][PPL] Which How likely is each cabinet member or member of the Leaseholder's Assembly are most likely to resort to assassination, blackmail, hacking or other underhanded tricks to advance their official position or for personal gain? (Revised again, revisions optional)
Question 66 Does The Grey have a deeper agenda?
Question 68 [HIST] What is the story surrounding each of these events? Are there any continuing ramifications from them today?
a) The actions of Representative Di Pietro in ’74
b) The Pearl Gate CDC in ‘81
c) The Sluse Seven Trial in ’88

Question 69 [CORP][TECH][Name 5] What other entries are there in NeuroTech's product lineup?

Question 71.2 [SET] What are the legal rights (or lack thereof) of Artificial Organic Intelligence outside of YOU-Topia?

Question 72 [CTY] Who opposes the situation Artificial Organic Intelligence are faced with?

Question 73 [HIST] Who was the delegation that saved the city from the Crisis of '38?

Question 75 [CTY] Have any Civil Defense Committees received support from Integralist factions? If not, why do some think this is true?

Question 76 [SET] What is the composition of the Congress of Kampalu?

Question 77: [3 of 5 done] What sort of Urban Wildlife is common in YOU-topia?

Question 78 Do the CDC's still exist?

Question 79 [HIST?] What happened to Musa's first wife?

Question 80 [HIST] What happened with the gold to that was to be traded to the four CDCs?

Question 81 [SET] Is Blake Musa exceptionally old, or are there many other people over three hundred? If so, how many?

Question 83 [MUSA-9] Are the memories and personality of ver IX faithful to and contiguous with ver VIII (or with vers I-VII for that matter)?

Question 84 [LD-8] - Details about the coup
a) Who was the leader of the coup? Are they now in prison or elsewhere?
b) What was the motivation or objective for the coup?
c) What group was supplying outside technical and logistical support to the coup leader?
d) What NeuroCorp policy changes, initiatives or actions were implemented under the false leadership of LD-8?
e) How was the coup eventually exposed and why did it take so long?

Question 85 [TECH] What are some research avenues being pursued to achieve Deep Credentialling?

Question 86 [TECH][MUSA] What was the promising flagship TFM Project that Blake Musa has been working on since at least ver IV in the 5190s?

Question 87 When and what was the Battle of the Dancing Tortoise (c. 5210-30, involving Musa Blake ver V and U-Sec violence)?

Question 88 [HIST] When and what was the Wolfshead War?

Question 89 [TIMELINE] What is the epoch of the Cyberyear calendar? What is a better name than "Cyberyear"?

Question 90 [NTCH][Name 5] Name and describe five popular Organic AI models.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #119
Daigoro

Quote:
Question 81 [SET] Is Blake Musa exceptionally old, or are there many other people over three hundred? If so, how many?
Answer 81 [SET] Multiple Lifetime Individuals (MuLTIs)
In Century Magazine's annual Top 300 List of Oldest People in 5310, Blake Musa ver IX (6/340) comes in at number 8.

To be able to make it to this list, one would have to have been at the forefront of artificial organic intelligence just as the multiple lifetime revolution was kicking off, or be stupidly rich enough to buy into it, and then over the three centuries since not have one's lifepath interrupted by war, backup loss, transfer failure, bankruptcy, ennui, mem corruption or any of a hundred other calamities that Fate has in store for those tempting her. The oldest is 369, with a caveat that almost four decades of that were on ice, and the list rounds out with two dozen individuals tied for equal 276th at age 295. Century estimates there are another twelve hundred or so who are over 200.

Blake Musa, and his erstwhile partner, Izchak Vandale (48/289), were at the cutting edge at the right time. Vandale mysteriously disappeared from Century's Top 300 List some 50 years ago, declared missing.

----
Question 91 [PPL]
Who is the number 1 on Century Magazine's annual Top 300 List of Oldest People for 5310?

Question 92 [PPL]
What happened to Izchak Vandale ver IV in 5260? Is there still an instantiation of him out there?

Question 93 [SET/HIST]
Population pyramid graphs would suggest there should be a lot more than 1200 bicentarians. Why is there a deficit in that age group?

Question 94 [SET]
Are all MuLTIs ultra-rich? Are all the world's ultra-rich MuLTIs?

Last edited by Daigoro; 01-25-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #120
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Since it's 2 weeks since the last roundup, and since even though we only knocked over a few questions, there were 20 more added, and since I might add a load more soon, so, roundup time:
This particular project has had a lot of name X questions, which tend to have that effect, and a couple of the questions listed don't seem to even have a specified number after which they close.

Quote:
Question Roundup
Question 9 [CTY][Name 5] Name and describe five popular hangouts. [One more]
Graffiti Cafe is a establishment that prides itself on "saving" the best graffiti in the city. When a building with Graffitti on it is to be condemned or renovated, the Cafe offers to buy the wall is on, dismantles it, and transports it back to the cafe.

Its reputation is somewhere between "Posh" and "Tasteless". Its full of transported walls, lending it a maze-like quality, and its a great place to meet with someone you don't want to be seen in public with.

Quote:
Question 22 [CTY][Name 1] Name and describe 10 different districts or locales in the city.

10/10: The Antblock. (also known as the labyrinth, the no-drive zone, or the mound)
made of over 100 towers with the space filled in between them, the antblock looks like a single building, though it has myriad corners and protuberances. The area is one of the oldest in the city, with "slot buildings" that could have modules put in or taken out of each slot. As housing grew tight in the city, a module that hung out far over the street was invented, and the land owners hungrily filled in the space with the enlarged apartments. A few decades later, the area had become run down and filled with people who appreciated all the intricate nooks and crannies of the place... which is not to say respectable and hardworking citizens.

Tags
collaborative setting, cyberpunk, setting, world building