Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Gnomasz

Default Ability build - one target ranged aura

Hi, I have a problem with designing an ability for my player and would appreciate some help.
He wants telepathic attack that damages nearest to him creature (friend or foe). The attack is to be switched on and off just like Aura, but not skin-tight and not multi-target.

I have thought about three builds:
1. Going all along with FAQ: Toxic Attack (Aura, +80%; Melee, C, -30%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Malediction 1, +100%; Telepathic <psionic and works only on creatures with mind>, -20%) - but it's damaging everyone in the area. I'm not sure how much would be "nearest target only" limitation worth.

2. Toxic Attack (Aura, +80%; Melee, C-3, -15%; Malediction 1, +100%; Telepathic, -20%) - I get rid of Area Effect so I won't need unspecified "single target" limitation. Used non-RAW Melee Attack Limitation to make it "not skin-tight." But I feel like there's something wrong with this build.

3. Ignoring Aura and making it Cyclic with contagious and "going away" being the required "cure" for cyclic damage - but it ends up awfully costly and works least close to description.

Also considered Malediction with Reduced Time and Uncontrollable, but only name seems to be right in the last modifier.

Any thoughts?
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Ability build - one target ranged aura

Attacking a single target at a distance is not an aura, it's a normal innate attack. To do it without having to constantly take an action he should take Compartmentalized Mind (Only to fire this One Attack, -50%) (based on limitations offered in Psionic Powers).

Last edited by lexington; 01-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Walrus

Malediction with Reduced Time is right way. You could use very limited Compartmentalized Mind, however, if it is cheaper (at high levels of attack). You could link it with very limited Detect. Or just give it Accessibility: only on closest target -20% (effective range of Maledicition 1 is very limited, so such effect doesn't limit ability very much).

To remove the necessity to perceive a target link this to Detect or make it as Area Effect, Emanation, Selective Area and Accessibility above. Again, if your Area is 4 yards, only closest target isn't very limiting.

And you may be confused with word "Aura". Area effects centered on a charatcer in GURPS have Area Effect with Emanation, not Aura (though they are called such in many other systems or worlds).
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington
Attacking a single target at a distance is not an aura, it's a normal innate attack. To do it without having to constantly take an action he should take Compartmentalized Mind (One Ability Only, -30%).
You could still do it with Aura, though. The OP's first build should do what he wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz
1. Going all along with FAQ: Toxic Attack (Aura, +80%; Melee, C, -30%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Malediction 1, +100%; Telepathic <psionic and works only on creatures with mind>, -20%) - but it's damaging everyone in the area. I'm not sure how much would be "nearest target only" limitation worth.
I'd peg that final limiter at about -20%, but I could be convinced that it was worth a bit more.
Then you could just choose the build that cost less for the size of the attack.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
... I'd peg that final limiter at about -20%, but I could be convinced that it was worth a bit more...
This is basically just an Accessibility limitation. "My aura works on only some of possible targets within its area..." -- in this case, only the nearest person. -20% would imply that there's an average of only two possible targets in the area (including friends), which probably isn't too bad an estimation for only a 2-yard radius aura. If the radius were larger I'd bump it up to -25% (averaging 3 possible targets) for a 4-yard radius or -30% (averaging 4-5 possible targets) for a 8-yard radius, but that's about it.

Last edited by munin; 01-10-2012 at 10:15 AM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Obirandiath

You could also try using some of the modifiers in Powers. Innate Attack: Mental Blast adds Malediction 2 (+150%) and perhaps No knockback. Depending on the distance you want this ability effective you can add Reduced Range. If this is an automatic, uncontrolled response to anyone who gets too close perhaps Extra Attack (mental attack only), and add Reflexive (+40%) and Uncontrollable (nearest target only).
Obirandiath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

It kinda sound the only reason you want aura is the auto trigger part. You could simple use Reflexive instead and not have to deal with area effect at all.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
munin

So if someone enters your aura they get hit. If someone else then enters your aura before your next turn and they move closer to you than the other person, do they get hit too? Or is the intent that this should only go off once per turn (presumably, your own?) at whomever's closest?
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Gnomasz

Builds that include Compartmentalized Mind or Detect would end up too costly, IMHO (unless huge levels of Innate Attack would be bought, which won't happen in this case).

I know how does Aura and Emanation work in GURPS. And what my player works more like Aura, than Emanation: it should be switchable, not transient ability (speaking with Powers words).

Reflexive could be a way to go. I just need to add Reliable 4 (for reflexive use only), +15% (I could be wrong by 5% at most here) and Switchable (not RAW for transient ability, but it's only way I see to make it switchable).

If "someone else" enters the aura before next turn of the PC, that "someone" should get hit, too (but I'm not sure if it shouldn't be limited* to attack one person only once per turn). I think it's possible with Reflexive.

* I don't mean another Limitation, just a ruling of "how it works".

Thanks for help!
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, aura with area effect, emanation, malediction, single target