Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-12-2022, 05:22 PM   #401
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

When Halcyone returns, Vassarious will go over the possible routes and provide any additional details on the complex they haven't communicated yet.

They will also talk strategy and get Halycone's opinion on whether they should try and penetrate the complex together, or if Vassarious should try and create a distraction.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:54 PM   #402
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
They will also talk strategy and get Halycone's opinion on whether they should try and penetrate the complex together, or if Vassarious should try and create a distraction.
"Well, the way I see it there's three basic strategies I've come up with."

"Option A goes on the assumption that the emperor's tomb is now effectively ignored now that the man's up and about again. It also assumes that I can feasibly move all the blocks that need moving on my own. Basically, there's two big unknowns, and if we're wrong about either we're in trouble. Your distraction plan would be used here."

"Option B is like Option A, except instead of making optimistic assumptions, we make pessimistic assumptions. In other words, you'll need to help infiltrate, so we can clear away security in the tomb more effectively or so I can actually move the really big blocks around. We'll definitely need to prepare for an infiltration of you too."

"One thing I'd like to consult with you on. Do you think it will be necessary to take [priest] off the board so to speak? I mean, I'm sure I could take his identification and just pretend to be him, but... I think he'd end up raising an alert when he ends up coming to work too."

"Sorry, I didn't get a disguise kit for you."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #403
the_matrix_walker

From what Vassarious has studied of the magic here, is there some rune circle or ritual, or any indications of a process that may screen his alien magics from their detection?

"I think we can be reasonably confident of getting through the first two layers of security if I can arrange for some kind of ID. Do you know if the identity you are assuming has access to the last checkpoint?"

"Is he up and about? I thought that perhaps he was simply coordinating his forces psychically."

"We should probably remove your subject from the equation. Perhaps we can arrange for the resistance to help with that and hold him. I would prefer not to bring harm to anyone if we can avoid it."

((Do we know if there is active resistance in this world? I know the world is under senate control, but that this world has seen action before based on our intelligence))
Old 01-13-2022, 08:29 AM   #404
TGLS

Quote:
"I think we can be reasonably confident of getting through the first two layers of security if I can arrange for some kind of ID. Do you know if the identity you are assuming has access to the last checkpoint?"
"I don't think he has access to the last layer of security. He handles the dignitaries just below the governors and senators. So I guess that might be a maybe?"
Quote:
"Is he up and about? I thought that perhaps he was simply coordinating his forces psychically."
"That's what General Rubrum said. The rebels have some kind of intelligence asset highly placed enough to know the Emperor's awake."
Quote:
"We should probably remove your subject from the equation. Perhaps we can arrange for the resistance to help with that and hold him. I would prefer not to bring harm to anyone if we can avoid it."
"I figure we can just tie him up and leave him in his house. Win or lose somebody would come looking for him. Might need to cancel the maid service for a while."
Old 01-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #405
the_matrix_walker

(( Vassarious did inspect the stones on my visit and has seen the pictures of the configuration. Can they estimate the time to complete the fix? How far is it from the final checkpoint to the chamber? ))

"I'm also wondering if we can leverage the resistance. Perhaps we can coordinate with them in order to assist us in creating a distraction, or their spy might be able to assist us in gaining entry undetected."
Old 01-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #406
TGLS

Quote:
(( Vassarious did inspect the stones on my visit and has seen the pictures of the configuration. Can they estimate the time to complete the fix? How far is it from the final checkpoint to the chamber? ))

"I'm also wondering if we can leverage the resistance. Perhaps we can coordinate with them in order to assist us in creating a distraction, or their spy might be able to assist us in gaining entry undetected."
"I suppose it's possible. Surely we could succeed where all of imperial intelligence has failed."
Old 01-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #407
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
From what Vassarious has studied of the magic here, is there some rune circle or ritual, or any indications of a process that may screen his alien magics from their detection?
Yes, the temples themselves with the detection of shifting, or at least the one with holographic Maximus did. The ones in the central temple complex don't seem to block the detection, at least natively. Perhaps there are spots in the temple district that would do something similar, or temples outside of the capital that would have that effect (healing temples or gates are the main ones of those)

Quote:
((Do we know if there is active resistance in this world? I know the world is under senate control, but that this world has seen action before based on our intelligence))
The resistance in the capital was quickly and decisively crushed. Now adays the resistance is mostly limited to espionage, and occasionally sabotage that can be mistaken for criminal activity.

Quote:
From the third wall to the emperor's tomb is famously 100 paces each way.

The estimated time for Halcyone to fix is 30 minutes, if she hurries in such a manner that she might accidentally hurt herself. Taking it carefully will take an hour. Disabling the emperor will happen at some point during that. Perhaps you could find a way to remove certain stones first...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #408
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
From the third wall to the emperor's tomb is famously 100 paces each way.

The estimated time for Halcyone to fix is 30 minutes, if she hurries in such a manner that she might accidentally hurt herself. Taking it carefully will take an hour. Disabling the emperor will happen at some point during that. Perhaps you could find a way to remove certain stones first...
So there were people in view of the blocks (I think), so even if we made it past the third checkpoint (which seems unlikely) we would be "made" the moment we started messing with the pattern.

So we will need to hold off Maximus (in his own chambers in his seat of power) and any of the assassins he has there, plus 300 well-armed hybrid soldiers for as long as 30 minutes. We're going to have to think up one brilliant plan... this sounds pretty much impossible to me.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-13-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #409
TGLS

Quote:
So we will need to hold off Maximus (in his own chambers in his seat of power) and any of the assassins he has there, plus 300 well-armed hybrid soldiers for as long as 30 minutes. We're going to have to think up one brilliant plan... this sounds pretty much impossible to me.
"OK, I got a plan. You turn into a dragon and start bombarding the temple. This should cause chaos in the temple and everyone will start heading for the shelters. In the midst of this chaos, I'll be able to get past the third wall, and make my way into the tomb. Most if not all of the soldiers and others should head for shelter. Resistance should be down to the Emperor himself and maybe any heroes he has on hand. I figure that any anti-air response would take at least an hour to be mounted, so we should get enough time."
Old 01-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #410
the_matrix_walker

"My natural form cannot withstand rifle fire, and their warriors are skilled marksmen with greater range than mine. They would make short work of me before you made it to the stones."

"Perhaps we should return to the caves and consult the true Maximus... And reach out to your contacts in the resistance. If we could time our infiltration for the moment of a major resistance offensive, that could provide a distraction for the false Maximus if he is awake and interceeding on the front lines"