Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-06-2024, 07:57 PM   #1
corwyn

Default Paranoia clone death

So I'm running a one-shot using first (maybe second) edition and it's quite lethal. In mission replacements aren't really viable and I'm wondering what to do with players without characters.

If people are aware of it, it's the adventure that comes with the boxed set from the 80s and takes place in a sealed off sector with a security keypad accessed by an NPC leading them. Who, of course, betrays/abandons them.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:47 AM   #2
L.J.Steele

Default Re: Paranoia clone death

Having a clone show up in an impossible situation with no memory of how they got there is pretty much daily life in Alpha Complex. The Computer works in mysterious ways, sometimes mysterious unto itself.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:25 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

would it work to run backup NPC's in the group that don't really do anything until a player dies and takes them over?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:33 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
Having a clone show up in an impossible situation with no memory of how they got there is pretty much daily life in Alpha Complex. The Computer works in mysterious ways, sometimes mysterious unto itself.
Have a clone show up absolutely certain that they were the last survivor of something that wiped out the rest of the group. If the PCs go investigate, they find evidence confirming the alternate version of what happened.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:11 AM   #5
Embassy of Time

As mentioned, unexpected and seemingly impossible clone replacement methods are the bread and butter of Alpha Complex. I might have the troubleshooters constantly hear unnerving sounds behind them, and if a clone dies, the sounds turn out to be the replacement, sent ahead because Friend Computer is wise and all knowing and sent the clone to catch up if needed. New spooky sounds soon ring out, from the next needed clone. Repeat ad absurdum.
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:41 AM   #6
L.J.Steele

Questioning the Computer's ability to supply replacement clones is treason.
Saying something is impossible for the Computer is likewise treason.
The PCs don't have to know how the Computer does it. It just does.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:18 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Paranoia may have the highest sales:games ratio of any RPG. Everyone knows of it and understands the jokes. But few play it. I ran it, for about ten sessions. I've played it exactly once.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:38 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
The PCs don't have to know how the Computer does it. It just does.
Since I'm too lazy to go dig out the adventure -- "sealed" how? If the area was sealed by The Computer for reasons, locking all the doors itself (since all SF complexes have doors under central computer control), then it's pretty trivial for The Computer to unlock the entryway to allow replacements in, just as it allowed the team into the area the first place. If it's just sealed by order of The Computer and some guards, then it's even easier to unseal. (Unless, of course, The Computer changes its mind, which is one of those things the troubleshooters learn to expect.) If it was sealed by an earthquake (etc), then that obstacle also had to be overcome to insert the original team. Sealed by hostile forces just means you have a target for the experimental weapon.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 03:09 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
So I'm running a one-shot using first (maybe second) edition and it's quite lethal. In mission replacements aren't really viable and I'm wondering what to do with players without characters.

If people are aware of it, it's the adventure that comes with the boxed set from the 80s and takes place in a sealed off sector with a security keypad accessed by an NPC leading them. Who, of course, betrays/abandons them.
Why not just assume that there's a cloning tube inside the sealed off sector?
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 09:57 PM   #10
ak_aramis

ADC's are a staple of outside-the-complex adventures...

ADC= Artillery Delivered Clone.

Particularly fun: an FCCCP PC triggering an ADC of another PC in order to up the firepower of the party... and telling Friend Computer the "wrong" grids and that the clone needed some certain experimental goodie... the grids given thus allowing a pincer action...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote