Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire

Default [MH] Patron Pricing Question

The Mafia doesn't equip the character, but it does have influence in the campaign's city and is willing to use that influence to benefit the character ... so should cost something!

I've a character that has a Patron that doesn't provide a Budget and only has Light Influence. How should I price this?
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Faolyn

Default Re: [MH] Patron Pricing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
The Mafia doesn't equip the character, but it does have influence in the campaign's city and is willing to use that influence to benefit the character ... so should cost something!

I've a character that has a Patron that doesn't provide a Budget and only has Light Influence. How should I price this?
I just had to do basically the same thing. Minimal Intervention (-50%) works well. But if the Patron is willing to help the character, then maybe an Ally or Contact would work instead? I mean, is it the entire Mafia, or just one guy in it?

ETA: a double-check of the rules says that you need to buy a modifier for the Patron to supply equipment (50% the equipment is equal to the starting wealth of the campaign, +100% if its more than that).

Last edited by Faolyn; 05-07-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
I just had to do basically the same thing. Minimal Intervention (-50%) works well. But if the Patron is willing to help the character, then maybe an Ally or Contact would work instead? I mean, is it the entire Mafia, or just one guy in it?
The entire Mafia organization within the campaign's area of operation (an imaginary coastal metropolis in northern CA), their allies and their contacts. He can ask for favors, and get them, following the rules in MH2 for Patron's Influence.

This specific character has Courtesy Rank (Mafia) 5, as one of (if not The) Consigliere operating within the City. But I figured that I'm not the only one who would be interested in how to do this, so ... :)
Old 05-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
ETA: a double-check of the rules says that you need to buy a modifier for the Patron to supply equipment (50% the equipment is equal to the starting wealth of the campaign, +100% if its more than that).
MH Patrons always provide equipment via their Budget.

Modest Budget (+0%), Large Budget (+100%), Loaded Budget (+200%), with Light Influence being the default and Heavy Influence being (+100%).

Starting Wealth for a TL 8 setting is ... G$20 000. Modest Budget gives half that, Large Budget gives that, Loaded gives one-and-a-half that; ignoring the replacement budget for the moment.

So ... Modest is (+50%; possibly half-stepped down to +25%?), Large is (+50%), Loaded is (+100%) by Basic rules; difference of -50% (MH is cheaper), +50% (Basic is cheaper) and +100% (same price), respectively.

There is a recognizable pattern there, but my mind isn't telling me what the pattern is! Heh.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

RPK talked about this in another thread.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
RPK talked about this in another thread.
This one?

Light Influence [10] includes Modest Budget though, and I want to cut out the Budget entirely.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
This one?

Light Influence [10] includes Modest Budget though, and I want to cut out the Budget entirely.
It very well could be. It seems to be missing things I remember being in the post, but I'm tired, so I may be misremembering.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
SuedodeuS

Quote:
This one?

I don't have Monster Hunters, so I can't be certain, but assuming Light Budget gives half starting wealth as a budget and half as the vehicle budget RPK mentions, that means Light Budget is equivalent to Comfortable Wealth, or 10 points. So take away 10 points from the price of the Patron (assuming it costs more than 10 to start with), and you're clear.

EDIT: And I should have read more closely - RPK explicitly states there's a "hidden" 10 point cost for Light Budget, so there you go.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
I don't have Monster Hunters, so I can't be certain, but assuming Light Budget gives half starting wealth as a budget and half as the vehicle budget RPK mentions, that means Light Budget is equivalent to Comfortable Wealth, or 10 points. So take away 10 points from the price of the Patron (assuming it costs more than 10 to start with), and you're clear.

EDIT: And I should have read more closely - RPK explicitly states there's a "hidden" 10 point cost for Light Budget, so there you go.
Patron (Modest Budget; Light Influence) costs [10]. I want the (Light Influence) but I don't want the (Modest Budget). (Modest Budget) gives G$10 000 initially and a G$1 000 replacement budget every session of play. And I don't want to say that Patron (No Budget; Light Influence) is [10] as it gives less than Patron (Modest Budget; Light Influence) [10] while not costing any less; a limitation, that limits, without a discount is ...

Well, not something I want to do as it offends my sense of 'fairness'. (Heh. That sounds odd coming from me.)

Or, put another way, Patron (Light Influence) [10] automatically includes Struggling Wealth [-10] and Independent Income 10 [10]. I want to change out (Struggling Wealth [-10] and Independent Income 10 [10]) for (Dead Broke [-25] and Independent Income 0 [0]) while keeping (Light Influence).

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 05-07-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Langy

Quote:
Patron (Modest Budget; Light Influence) costs [10]. I want the (Light Influence) but I don't want the (Modest Budget). (Modest Budget) gives G$10 000 initially and a G$1 000 replacement budget every session of play. And I don't want to say that Patron (No Budget; Light Influence) is [10] as it gives less than Patron (Modest Budget; Light Influence) [10] while not costing any less; a limitation, that limits, without a discount is ...

Well, not something I want to do as it offends my sense of 'fairness'. (Heh. That sounds odd coming from me.)

Or, put another way, Patron (Light Influence) [10] automatically includes Struggling Wealth [-10] and Independent Income 10 [10]. I want to change out (Struggling Wealth [-10] and Independent Income 10 [10]) for (Dead Broke [-25] and Independent Income 0 [0]) while keeping (Light Influence).
It's not actually Struggling wealth. It gives $20,000 initially and $3,500 per adventure, and this is in addition to the normal $20,000 and $2,000 per month that all characters get as part of normal Wealth. Half of the Patron's initial outlay and the majority of the per-adventure budget is restricted to vehicles, but they get their replacement budget more often than non-Patronized characters get their monthly payment of cash.

In other words, it's equivalent to Comfortable Wealth with a +0% modification, to turn half of the given wealth into a vehicular budget and give a replacement budget that comes up more often than for normal Wealth.

Budgets go 2x, 3x, then 10x for Modest, Large, and Loaded respectively. This tracks with Comfortable Wealth, approximately half of Wealthy, and half of Very Wealthy. I'd say half of Very Wealthy would be 25 points, half of Wealthy would be 15 points, and Comfortable is just 10 points. To fit it with the rest of the budget modifiers, let's call it 5 points, though. That means Light influence is 5 points and Heavy influence is 15 points.

So, in short, a Patron with no budget and Light influence is 5 points, a Patron with no budget and Heavy influence is 15 points.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, influence, monster hunters, patron