Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Can't hurt self

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Is there any way to set up a character so any attack they use can't hurt themself? I know with things like Innate Attacks and Modifying ST-Based damage you can just take modifiers to make it so the attack can't hurt you or you have a choice (such as Emanation).
Not sure what modifiers you're talking about here, even something like Emanation can still hurt you if an enemy uses DR w/ Reflection.

3e had an enhancement for innate attacks which made you immune to it's damage for whatever reason it managed to hit you, but I don't think that made it to the 4e conversion.

Quote:
But this doesn't apply to, say, picking up a random grenade and throwing it at someone two yards away or accidentally shooting yourself in the foot with the gun you stole from your foe. Any thoughts on how to set this up?
DR (Accessibility: One Perosn Only -80%) where it only applies to a single person seems like it would be appropriate, in this case just designate the person as yourself.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

What about taking Selective Area based on say fragmentation grenades using the rules in Enhancements and then making it a Wilcard ability?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:35 PM   #13
RGTraynor

Well, obviously we're talking a superpower. But this is one with a long pedigree: from the Human Bomb in 1941 on forward.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

If you 'blow up" unharmed this is just a crushing innate attack with explosion and emanation.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #15
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
How do you envisage this working from the PoV of someone within the setting? Do the grenade fragments "just happen" to never hit the person with the ability, bounce off a force field, or what?
Mostly they "just happen" to never hit the user, no matter how absurd that seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
Super Luck, Serendipity (cosmic or a super level?), daredevil (cosmic) or using the impulse buy for reducing damage is a good way because this sound more like setting and game flavor more than an actual power to me.
That's a good point. I'm not entirely certain how that would work, but it does fit this feeling cinematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Just seems like a nuisance effect at that point - maybe -10% or so. A bit cartoony too.
It's definitely cartoony XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What about taking Selective Area based on say fragmentation grenades using the rules in Enhancements and then making it a Wilcard ability?
That's such a crazy and silly wildcard ability that I think I'll have to use this for my next Super.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:37 AM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Mostly they "just happen" to never hit the user, no matter how absurd that seems.
Even if they set off a grenade while still holding it?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #17
Rolando

Quote:
That's a good point. I'm not entirely certain how that would work, but it does fit this feeling cinematic.
They work as explained in the rules, impulse buys is probably the best way of doing it or Daredevil.

Daredevil says that a critical failure while making something risky is rerolled, throwing grenades in enclosed spaces and near targets is risky, so the character gets +1 to the roll and reroll critical failures. I would say that a critical failure result is getting in the blast of the grenade, so by removing the critical failure the character is immune to his grenade attack... in some way.

The using character points to remove damage is more so, the character just stores some character points for when things don't go as planned and spend them to make all damage just cosmetic and scratches. Simple and in the spirit of what you are looking.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #18
Pursuivant

Perk:

No Nuisance Rolls (Damaging Critical Misses)

Due to a limited form of luck or just long experience and careful training, you are cannot accidentally hurt yourself when making one class of attack: unarmed attacks, melee weapon attacks, or thrown/missile weapon attacks. If the GM rolls a result of 5, 6, or 15 on the Critical Miss Table or a 5,6, 15, or 17 on the Unarmed Critical Miss Table, treat it as a roll of 10 instead.

Anything more extreme requires DR or Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction) with the "Self-Inflicted Only" accessibility limitation.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #19
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Perk:

No Nuisance Rolls (Damaging Critical Misses)

Due to a limited form of luck or just long experience and careful training, you are cannot accidentally hurt yourself when making one class of attack: unarmed attacks, melee weapon attacks, or thrown/missile weapon attacks. If the GM rolls a result of 5, 6, or 15 on the Critical Miss Table or a 5,6, 15, or 17 on the Unarmed Critical Miss Table, treat it as a roll of 10 instead.
Pretty sure that falls way outside of how No Nuisance Rolls is meant to work.

Luck seems like it can cover this well enough. If you ever roll a critical fail on your attack or parry, you can just do a "best of three" to potentially avoid making that crit fail in the first place.

I guess you could wait until you roll on the crit table to decide if you want to use the reroll or not (if it's a tolerable result you don't need to waste your hourly roll)

Aspected: Combat -20% covers "weapon skill rolls, active defenses, and ST or DX rolls for close combat" so it would definitely cover rerolling a miss (critical or otherwise) you make in combat.

I could see giving an additional discount if it didn't allow you to reroll the miss and only allowed you to reroll the crit table.

You can already combine it with Aspected: Defensive AFAIK for another -20% and still have it cover both "reroll failed active defense rolls" and "make an opponent reroll a critical hit against you" ..

If all you're merely doing is "I'm still critically failing my attack or parry - but I want to reroll the specifics of my critical failure" that's probably a lot less useful than either of those things by themself, so even giving a -40% bonus for a total of -60% seems fair.

Of course that's still only one use per hour of play (or game day if using Game Time +10%) for 15 -60% = 6 points. I'm not sure how we could make it cheaper.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #20
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Even if they set off a grenade while still holding it?
Yes, which is crazy.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fragmentation, powers