Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #41
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Staffs and Quarterstaff talent.

I was wondering, the last time I went through the ms, why I had not had lesser demons grant something.

But the most valuable use of a Wish, imo, is to recover a dead character. Does your Lesser Wish do that?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #42
Rick_Smith

Default Wishes and Lesser Wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I was wondering, the last time I went through the ms, why I had not had lesser demons grant something.

But the most valuable use of a Wish, imo, is to recover a dead character. Does your Lesser Wish do that?
Hi Steve,
Yes, my lesser wishes do that.

I was tired of players (when my wishes were more common), getting a wish, and then instantly using it for an attribute. Wishes are so cool, and that is BORING. So a lesser wish does everything a wish does, except giving attributes.

Using it to bring somebody back to life, will save a PC's life. But then, so will forcing a bad guy to re-roll when they get a freak triple damage hit on you. A wish might save the WHOLE PARTY if you use it to give your charging pike axer a triple damage during a charge on a 19 hex dragon.

But if you say that a lesser wish can't bring people back from the dead, that is fine with me.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #43
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I have started a new thread on the subject of Lesser Wishes.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:13 AM   #44
KevinJ

In my home btrw game the mage player asked for clerification on the staff spell and wether he would need the quarterstaff skill to use it. I explained that the damage from the Staff Spell is magical and does not rely on his ST to inflict damage in combat.

He uses a 6ft (2 hex) staff and I give him -1 hex for range in thrown spells and a 1-hex reach for touch spells. I told him that if he wanted to use a 10ft staff he could have 2-hexs of reach, but it would be unwieldy and couldn't be used in doors. He passed. The fact that anything from a twig to a pike length pole can be a staff and does the same amount of magic damage only shows that the intent was for the damage to be magical and not physical.

This seems like the kind of thing that needs more clarification in the new edition.

Tags
damage, nerf, quarter staff, staff, staff spell