Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default [LT] Question about Greathelms

Is there any historical evidence (either historical records or archeological) of greathelms being made with anything other than iron/steel plate? If so, what were they made from?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
mhd

Default Re: [LT] Question about Greathelms

Funeral great helms often had crowns made of more precious metals, maybe there's one that was fully made of it (most of them were just thin iron). Considering when the great helm entered the historic arena, I highly doubt they used something other than steel for combat.

Edit: If I remember correctly, there were some leather helmets used for the Baston Course type of tourney. Not that great if your enemy isn't equipped with blunt wooden weapons, though…

Last edited by mhd; 11-24-2011 at 05:09 AM.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Bruno

I suppose at least some of them might have been Spagenhelms (made of strips of iron or steel instead of plates...) but you seem interested in materials first and foremost.

Other than ceremonial grave goods, I actually don't really expect to find out about many ornamental greathelms. Ornamental armour is usually worn for public spectacles, and greathelms
a) conceal your face, so people can't see who the guy in the awesome armour is and
b) Are worn over another helmet, for hardcore protection, which is heavy, uncomfortable, and generally serious overkill for a public spectacle which
c) is probably going to go on for a long time without someone trying to shoot or axe you in the head, so why would you wear so much armor?

It's not quite as weird an idea as "ceremonial bomb disposal armor" or a "decorative ghili suit" but those are the modern comparisons that spring to mind.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It's not quite as weird an idea as "ceremonial bomb disposal armor" or a "decorative ghili suit" but those are the modern comparisons that spring to mind.
Well...

Don't know of this qualifies, either.

For decorative purposes you're already wearing something frickin' expensive. If you really want to be the cock of the walk, add some ludicrous helmet ornamentation on top of it (removable, of course). Crowns, plumes etc.

What other materials could there be? We're a bit too late TL-wise for bronze greathelms, although I don't think there's a technical reason against it. So this might work in a fantasy world, where this would be advisable for various reasons. Leather would be a bit silly if you expect to encounter steel weapons.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Well...

Don't know of this qualifies, either.

The first makes me think that somebody's preparing for a Mardi Gras offensive. I'm sure it's not that hard to crawl through the trash along Bourbon Street without anyone noticing.

The second made me check how much it cost. $50. Darn.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
DanHoward

Low-Tech defines a greathelm specifically as a large helmet designed to be worn over a smaller one. Most people are confusing greathelms with full helms and there are plenty of examples of full helms being made of other materials such as the wooden ones from north and south America
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Low-Tech defines a greathelm specifically as a large helmet designed to be worn over a smaller one. Most people are confusing greathelms with full helms and there are plenty of examples of full helms being made of other materials such as the wooden ones from north and south America
Exactly. Wearing a full helm is wearing a box or barrel or some other enclosed shape over your head.

Wearing a greathelm (as defined in Low Tech) involves wearing two boxes/barrels/whatever over your head. Which is why you can't see or hear crap, and in a gritty campaign should probably result in some extra FP loss due to poor ventilation slowly cooking your poor brains.

My next knightly character may have a shaved head just to help the sweat evaporate.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Phantasm

Actually, I was looking more for, "Is there historical precedent for making a greathealm from scale, brigandine, hardened leather, etc, as opposed to plate?" than "... from gold, silver, bronze, etc?"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
DanHoward

Greathelm - no. full helm - yes. You don't see greathelms, even made of iron, anywhere except in a narrow period of time in Europe/Russia.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Greathelm - no. full helm - yes. You don't see greathelms, even made of iron, anywhere except in a narrow period of time in Europe/Russia.
That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Tags
armor, armour, low-tech, low-tech armor