Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-12-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
Not

Default Can a horse carry itself?

For the purpose of the vow, can the horse itself be owned, or just the luggage?
Old 07-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Can a horse carry itself?

I would say that "Own no more than your horse can carry" implies that you own the horse. It's your horse, after all.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
Polkageist

The horse could be an ally, or a familiar, or some other independent entity that's decided that it likes the cut of the PC's jib and will follow them around and carry their stuff.

But the purpose of the vow is to curtail wealth. So the status of the horse is immaterial, "what a horse can carry" is a squishy metric that may or may not include the horse but definitely precludes things like houses, other horses, wardrobes, granaries, a big statue of yourself, that sort of thing. Y'know, poverty.

Which reminds me, Mr. Vow of Poverty (horse), we need to talk about the sack of gems there. I believe there's an orphanage nearby that could use a donation.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
But the purpose of the vow is to curtail wealth. So the status of the horse is immaterial, "what a horse can carry" is a squishy metric that may or may not include the horse but definitely precludes things like houses, other horses, wardrobes, granaries, a big statue of yourself, that sort of thing. Y'know, poverty.
I disagree about the poverty. This vow is about never setting down any roots. You don't own heavy stuff, since you need to be able to wander.

A vow of poverty is certainly possible, even in DF, but is not this vow.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
Polkageist

Ah, yes, I conflated the two I think because the OP mentioned owning the horse and whether that ownership mattered.

Either way, it's a fuzzy metric I think. Given some magical support, would a tiny figurine that magically transforms into a smallish dwelling still pass? A bag of holding that allows the carrying of large amounts of things? A dimensional pocket where you can stash a catapult?

Quite possibly it fulfills the letter of the vow, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Holy Warrior eschewed those things as a matter of principle. Speaking as a player, I would likely play up the disdain for such "foolish magical crutches" as a nice bit of character color and possibly even an easy quirk point.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:23 AM   #6
Phil Masters

Given that this isn’t a Vow of Poverty so much as a Vow of Always Being Able to Keep Moving, I’d imagine that a lot of characters would accept magical devices that simplify the process, but try to avoid becoming dependent on them. Yes, a magic house that fits in your pocket is nice, the same way that finding a good inn with a comfortable bed is nice — but if it goes missing or the magic goes on the fritz, and you freeze to death in the wilderness as a result, you're a damn fool who forgot The Sacred Mission.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:59 AM   #7
Phil Masters

(And now I’m tempted to play a Ranger/Rogue whose Vow is “Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.”)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:53 AM   #8
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Yes, a magic house that fits in your pocket is nice, the same way that finding a good inn with a comfortable bed is nice
And you definitely don't put it down on the edge of town and leave it there, US mobile home style, with the pretence that you could take it away at any time but somehow it never actually happens.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
Polkageist

Oof, that just about describes a dreamlike existence for me. Having a comfortable home that I can toss in my pocket or backpack, and just hike and stroll around the world while being able to pop out a cozy cabin whenever it's time to sleep or the weather gets nasty.

I'd live in national parks.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
(And now I’m tempted to play a Ranger/Rogue whose Vow is “Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.”)
Are you gonna call him McCauley?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote